Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tommy Kinsler le a ves the Class

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jun 19, 2022.

1. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Sounds about right. I looked it up several years ago a nd was surprised how few there were. Need to land a few high 3* OL such as this kid. Too bad he's only a soft verbal. I did read that he's going to start recruiting for us, but he's also interested in seeing what $cUM has to offer.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    They're all soft verbals until they ink an NIL deal, sign an LOI, enroll, and show up these days.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Unfortunately, I think the only way to 15-0 with a roster entirely of 2 stars is to either drop down in class and play a schedule of moderate strength high schools or a schedule of teams that only have 1 and 2 star talent.

point being…yeah, I think- or hope- all gator fans would be Haley going 15-0 next year but a roster of 2 star talent will more likely yield 0-12 as even Vandys roster is better. though it’s a moot point since our roster will be far better than that.

I don’t care what Kinslers ranking is….dude should be a good player for UF.

4. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

The exception being (always exceptions!) Boise State vs Georgia. Was it 2011? They won because they played football as a team with flawless execution. Well-coached tough kids, playing as a unit, willing to run through a wall, can be excellent with 2 star talent. Not advocating for 2 star talent, but that kind of coaching and play. I wonder how NIL $$$ changes the team first dynamic. I believe it is a net loss for the game.

Like you, I welcome Mr. Kinsler!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I understand your post, in the real world, playoff squads typically have highly ranked recruiting classes, especially in the SEC.

Obviously success in recruiting equals success on the field.

But try as everyone on the board might, there are many variables and unknowns that affect a recruits PT and performance.

I am not as much a "recruitnic" as most on this board but I do follow.

4 and 5 star rankings are not automatically indicative of a players success. Injury, depth chart and of course attitude all come into play. UF has several 5 star transfers that have NOT shown 5 star performance (YET) - Lingard, Bowman, Wingo - any of those guys ring a bell?

BUT I "GET IT" - In todays game one better have highly skilled players and good depth to compete for rings.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if any "recruitnics", have done an analysis on high 4 / 5 star High School recruits and how their "star" rankings lined up with performance?

My "guess" amd it's only a "guess" is that less than 50% ever meet those high rankings with "on the field" performance. I could be wrong, I have no statistical analysis of such a thing but I'm sure there are plenty of recruitnics that probably do.

But getting back to the REAL ISSUE - CBN and staff have experienced a couple of recruiting setbacks lately, Rashada probably being the most high profile.

Like many, I was hoping UF and this staff would be touting a fast start with some high profile kids. That has not happened. At least not yet. I hope it does.

Even if it does not, I am not going to judge this new staff soley on recruiting, rather take a "wait and see", lets face it, it's a completely new world with recruiting and talent aquisition.

Perhaps the "2nd year leap" is a thing of the past, perhaps it takes a bit more time for a new staff with the new rules.

It is early and I am still quite optimistic that UF will bring in a talented new group via transfer portal and recruiting.

Then there is actually snapping the ball. I am not expecting UF to win the SEC or go to the playoffs this coming season, nor the next. But I am expecting UF to make quantitative leaps in W-L record and of course with talent aquisition.

Coaches have about a 3 year shelf life if things are not going "peachy", we will find out in about 9 - 10 weeks where we stand against UTAH.

Wishing the staff nothing but success.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. GatorGhost

GatorGhost GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Win the Offseason: The Importance of Recruiting for Championships in College Football By Bud Davis

Not necessarily an analysis of stars to success, but of overall recruiting class to become a champion. In a 4 year period you need to average top 10 with at least one of those classes being top 6. He explains the other exact conditions in the article.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    Florida had what was said to be the best ever recruiting class in 2010 and the best they could do was 11-2 record.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Snarky post.

In general, 4*'s and 5*'s are usually given out to athletes of elite size and abilities - ie, those that stand out from the rest. Unless they are exceptional, many offensive linemen who later become serviceable often start out as 3*'s out of high school who later mature into their positions with some more training and development.

According to ESPN 300, Florida and Napier's staff did land the #1 OC in the nation (see rankings below):
    Knijeah Harris - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Harris is the only 4* center in these rankings (the rest are 3*'s) being ESPN's #155 ranked player out of 300 players nationally!
    Harris hails from Bradenton, FL out of the IMG Academy (infamous to Gator fans, lol) and is the #32 ranked player from the state of Florida.

ESPN Football Recruiting - Player Rankings - ESPN

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    This year, there are only two 5* offensive linemen:
    OT: 31 4*'s and 2 5*'s
    OC: 1 4*
    OG: 15 4*'s
    ---------------------------------------
    Total: 47 4* OL and two 5* OT's

One of them is the #1 OT Francis Mauigoa from Bradenton, FL (IMG Academy). Perhaps Mauigoa's teammate, Knijeah Harris, could help Napier influence him with his recruitment to UF.

There are still other highly rated offensive linemen from the state of Florida:
    #1 OT Francis Mauigoa (#5 overall)
    #18 OT Payton Kirkland (#167)
    #4 OG Roderick Kearney (95th overall)

======================================

10. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    UF is in on all 3. I would be thrilled with 2. Think FM will go back home to west coast but he did visit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Think Kirkland had a great visit to Michigan State. They may be leading now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Michigan State recruiting State of Florida very well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Miami pushing hard for a flip

14. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe you. I'm reading into it that scUM is not that deep on some of their boards and nothing hurts a rival more than taking their commits.

15. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007

16. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Did he "commit" but also indicate he's still looking?

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Cristobal just looks like a dork

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    And ?

19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    ThAts it, Kirby too matter of fact

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator VIP Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    He says he is solid and actively recruiting for us. He also asked Napier abd he approved the visit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2