Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tom Brady accused of purposely defacing sports memorabilia with sloppy signature

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Apr 28, 2024.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This man claims Tom Brady’s sloppy signature turned $500,000 worth of collectibles into defaced keepsakes (msn.com)

Both sides seem to agree that Tom Brady was upset with being asked to sign so many items -- at an event where "VIPs" paid $3,600 for a signing session (that was for 1 item, some paid up to $20,000 to get multiple items signed). Brady's side says he had only agreed to sign books and other certain items. The "VIPs" said they were not told that, and that “Tommy tantrum” scribbled on their $500,000 worth of items in a way that made them less valuable. According to the link, collectible signature verifications companies say that Brady has an easily identifiable signature and are refusing to authenticate these signatures, making the items "defaced" instead of "signed".

Personally, I never understood worshipping a person to this level ... I can see autographs being cool for kids, and Ive even seen sports stars sign items for kids and ignore adults, which I think is great. There may really be some obsessed adults out there who really want his memorabilia, but selling signed items has become such a huge market, I also get why celebrities are sick of dealing with people who just want to make money off them...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Seems like Tom was being a jerk but hard to feel any sympathy for memorabilia dealers who are just turning around to sell it for a profit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Dummies don’t realize that the “Temper Tantrum signatures” will be worth even more.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds like the event people lied to Tom...

5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Everyone got what they deserved. Having a hard time locating the sympathetic side here.

6. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Valid points. I would never pay $ for a signed card, but there are shows and events where athletes are paid to specifically sign stuff.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  7. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah, it kind of sounds like that was what the fans thought this was, and I'm sure Brady was paid well if the event was charging $3600 a person ... but it seems like Brady thought this was more like an author book signing, where fans were supposed to buy his book and then he'd sign the book ...

I do kind of feel bad for anyone who really was a big fan and had some cherished item scribbled on ... but even the main guy interviewed in the story I linked, while he says a lot of the right things about being a fan and having treasured items ... he's also clearly concerned about the value of his collection, how much he lost, how much having a certified signature would have added, etc, so it is about the money. I mean, he watched Brady sign his items, so why run it to a dealer for signature certification the next day? He knows who signed it ... it was about the added monetary value ...

8. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Don’t see how Brady can be held liable. If he signed it, even sloppy, it is still his signature.

such nonsense

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    but is it? I dont see anything that resembles any of the letters in his name.