Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Todd Grantham ... thank you for your service

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by willymayshayes, Dec 20, 2020.

1. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Legend

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    So Bo Pelini has a ton of experience. He let his athlete play in space and use their athleticism. Corey Raymond teaches the DBs to play the ball. And the LSU defense caused us problems. It didn’t stop us... no one did... but watching their DBs play was FUN foe them.
    I don’t care how “green” a DC is IF he lets athletes be athletic, plays aggressively, and plays the possible player... not the safest player.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    Hell no! Not even close to being qualified.

edit: I do agree with a lot of what @shane4three noted above. To me, that would just be too much of a gamble.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  3. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Legend

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I get what you are saying but I do not want a retread
    No to
    Charlie Strong
    Bo Pelini
    Kevin Steele
    Derek Mason
    Etc...
    I want a young energetic attacking DC. Marquand Manuel is the very top of my list even though he has never coached college.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Legend

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I don’t mind the dislike but at least tell us your thoughts or choice for DC.

5. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Senior

Sep 25, 2016
    So does every fan base on the planet.

While I agree with you, this is one of the all-time greatest CFB fan cliches. Along with “pin their ears back, fly to the ball, simplify the scheme”, etc. Does anyone want an old, lazy, out of touch, passive DC?

I can’t begin to identify who Dan should replace Grantham with. That’s why he’s paid a lot of money...

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Senior

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not sure why people would object to Derek Mason after all that he accomplished at Stanford as a DC, knows the SEC and is highly respected (not to mention energetic). I get the desire for a young up and comer but Mason isn’t that old. The #1 guy for me would have been Kane Womack but he was hired as the next South Alabama head coach. That guy will be at a Power 5 school very soon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    While I don't necessarily disagree, I also don't know if UF has the pieces in place to provide a great 'training ground', if you will, for a new up and comer. You'd want an established support staff and years of continuity in my opinion before you bring in untested talent for such an influential position.

8. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Because we saw what he did at Vandy...

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Our talent level isn't so bad that we shouldn't expect the defense to be able to line up properly. We're not talking about our guys just getting toasted by better athletes, though that did occur. Having guys bail to Africa on deep zones, constantly allowing free releases all the time, showboating any time a TD wasn't scored on them, that's all coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Are you talking about the first 3 years when he was running both the team and the defense, or the last 3 years when he hired a DC to run his defense? The first 3 years weren’t that bad, while the last 3 years were horrible.

You also have his top 10 defenses at Stanford, where he had much greater talent than at Vandy. Comparing his tenure to Franklin’s tenure, his defenses didn’t do that bad compared to Franklin’s when he was running them. Mason also could focus completely on the defense, and not have to worry about the rest of the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    TG's had a couple of top 10 defenses, nobody cares. DC is not the only thing that changed three years in, that's also when there would have been a full roster of Mason players. It's also not as though just because he had a DC those defenses don't count, he picked the DC and coached with the DC and the defense sucked.

Not one of the Mason advocates have been able to articulate what type of defense he runs, they just spout stats from a decade ago.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    1) Wisconsin
    2) Jim Leonhard
    upload_2020-12-22_17-45-37.png

But he probably won't come. He already turned down Bama saying this about Wisconsin: “The biggest thing is, this is where I want to be. I’m home. This place means a lot to me and trying to take this program to the highest level, whatever that may be, means a lot to me. That is what it came down to.”

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Lol , this is weak !! Wis “friggin “consin

14. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    With our O we didn’t need a Bama or UGA D. We needed a bad SEC D, just not historically bad SEC D. We’d be national champs if we had say.... Mississippi States D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Michigan fires DC Brown. So that opens up another P5 position. Mullen better decide soon if he has his eyes on someone already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorade

gatorade Senior

Oct 21, 2014
    The two squared up not too long ago at mid field. No way Mason will ever want to report to Mullen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Spot on Steve!!!

18. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I’m with you in young and energetic.

19. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Yes sir!!! At some point an Urban Meyer got a chance. Heck, I put Marcus Freeman out there at Cincinnati. He was given a chance at 33 ( I believe) and Robinson is 31. I agree with Ridge when it comes to lack of experience. We need energy, a guy kids want to play for, and a guy that lets athletes play aggressively and not 10 yards off the ball. Heck, we’ve already had 2 young guys transfer. Both arguably could have and should have been given more opportunity. Does anybody here want Don Brown, Pelini, Chizik, or name 5 others that have bounced around? Let’s be ahead of the curve and remember what we’ve done in the past with young up and comers like Billy Donovan, Bobby Stoops, etc.

20. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Fox,

Appreciate your thoughts but respectfully not A fan of “too green” or “too young”. Again ( I know I’m beating a dead horse):

**kids want to play for him
    **Brings energy
    **Huge relationship guy-culture trumps all and this guy gets it. Parents like him.

**can recruit at a solid level.
    ** knows our kids. Will listen to our kids. This is key. Can’t always be “one way” or “my way or the highway”.

I say his lack of experience is overshadowed by kids wanting to run through walls for him. Just needs a chance.

Remember, the one caveat is that he has his own mind and does not prescribe to Grantham’s vanilla philosophy. If he does all bets are off.