Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Todd Grantham ... thank you for your service

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by willymayshayes, Dec 20, 2020.

1. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Handel’s Messiah is playing in my head right now. Hallelujah!!! Hallelujah!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a Christmas miracle!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. steveGator52

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Not so fast my friend. Grantham may yet rip out our hearts out one more time.

By coming back for next year. Joking. Sort of. And hoping the rumor is true.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Your analogy (while I usually don’t like them is a good one). You don’t like the product on the field on defense and so you put it on something. Fundamentals can’t REALLY be taught. Either you have them or you don’t. The guys making the open field tackles in Pop Warner were the same in Junior and Varsity and eventually in the NCAA and in rare cases the NFL (when it comes to defenses). Sorry if I was sounding like I was coming off as a know it all. I don’t know it all but defenses I know and what you need when you have schemes that TG likes to run don’t need to be engineers and coders, they need to be good. They need to be strong and fast. We need good players in the boots. Of course you need to teach how to exploit someone’s natural abilities but if they aren’t there, some stuff just can’t be taught on D. You can only improve someone who can make an open field tackle. We have too many guys that just get left in their shoes on a wheel route.

The play calls are not the problem and I still contend that last night we fielded a better defense game with worse players than Bama did. We should have won that game.

That illegal sub was some of the worst crap I have ever seen. You can call a penalty on almost every play of every game. Did you see the look on his face when he was called for illegal sub. Let’s be real. He was still one step on the field when they called it. BUT if you watch the film you will notice they called it AFTER we stuffed them for what should have been a 4th and long and a punt. Instead, they score and that’s the difference in the whole game right there.

Then the illegal hands to the face. Was it the most atrocious calls ever made? No. But it would normally NEVER have been called. I watched their O line on every play and they of course held which makes TGs job harder.

He called up a play in the red zone that for us an INT, we fumbled it.

Those are 3 sets of downs given to them by two refs and one Gator fumble in which looked like to me an uncalled target that for some reason they didn’t even look at but I watched it and it was helmet to helmet. Hell we didn’t need even all of them but one and two would be great but with the way our offense was clicking if you take those plays alone, you’re looking at a 14-17 point swing in the score and maybe even 21 and we win quite nicely on 3 plays!

So yeah, I think we schemed the team that has scored more points in the ncaa all season quite well on Saturday and I think putting it on him is just unfair. His methods produce some big plays but it also prevents some and what we did Saturday night was without a strong set of players. Imagine when we have them.

IMO, he out-schemed Bama and we were robbed of a win on Saturday night. People will say it’s homerism but I was hoping they would reverse the horrible targeting call on their best line backer and we should have had a look at the one that caused the fumble. Ya know on the pick when we gave it back and the helmet to helmet knocked Dean’s lights out.

We just need better players who are stronger, faster and better. The coaching is there. I like blitzing DCs and people who mix it up. This was an off year for him because of the boots, not the books.

But to use your analogy, you might assume you have a cold with a runny nose and sore throat but there are a thousand other things you might have as well.

I promise you, CTG is a good DC. That might not save him. I don’t see us getting rid of him now. We’re about to get into his boys that are going to do what he sees.

And as for FCDM, I’m glad you agree. If you gave me the choice of any living coach in the world right now, I wouldn’t trade him. The dude is straight magic and he’s produced stud after stud after stud in his career and he’s back home and made Trask a Heisman hopeful in one season. He did the same with Leak (well he won a champion with Leak, I promise you it wasn’t because of Meyer). Then he had Tebow, then he would have had Cam. He knows what he needs, he knows how to use them and when he has what isn’t his, he still gives us chances at all kinds of championships.

I’m calling how I see them, not how I feel off of raw emotion.

What I saw was a team that has no business being where they were who should have beat a team that they had no business beating.

Go look. I said everyone should pound the crap out of 17 points. Without a massive hosing job which was my only caveat and they hid it well with a few plays, there is no way a Mullen offense is gonna fall far enough with Pitts, Grimes, and Toney to fall by 17.

Shoulda won. Should beat LSU. You can put that on a couple dumb plays too. We don’t have the talent there yet.

Props to mcelwein for seeing the potential in a two star Trask and business as usual for Mullen using someone’s else’s talent to win. Did the same with Leak.

Then won another with Tebow.

More to come. It’s once again fun to be a Gator.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    You should be banned for life for saying that Bill. : )

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. 21

21 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2007
    You're in fantasyland when it comes to Grantham... I wanted him fired after we lost to Georgia in 2019... South Carolina laid the blueprint on how to cause problems for Georgia's offense... and then Grantham had us do the complete opposite... we gave up a ton of 3rd downs that game and since he has been in Gainesville.

Our defensive players being confused all this season, not knowing how to line up, our secondary players giving up huge cushions to recievers... not blitzing first year starting quarterbacks... he has to GO... it isn't all a talent issue... I'm just waiting to see breaking news stating he's gone.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. 21

21 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2007
    All of this is for 95Gator ^^^^

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    21 is here. ;)

9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    You know, if Grantham decides to opt out of the Cotton Bowl we may not have a very good defense in the game.

In other words, nothing much will change. I say we throw a going away party in a day or two.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Coach Mullen at his press conference with Lincoln Riley yesterday, said the following.

When asked if TG would be the defensive coordinator for the bowl game "Oh, yeah. Todd will be our coordinator for the bowl game."

This means to me TG is gone after the game, not exactly a vote of confidence.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. steveGator52

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    It’s not just the UGA game for me, it’s how our secondary regressed over the past 3 years. I saw our DBs constantly never turning around to make a play on the ball. I wanted him gone last year for that reason alone.

And there is some blame for Grantham on the last drive of the half in the Alabama game. Why go to a prevent defense when our DBs haven’t consistently shown the ability to play coverage all year? Play normal defense, and maybe Alabama runs out of time and/or only scores a FG.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Does seem like writing on the wall.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Dear Santa,

I have been a very good boy this year. I only ask one thing for Christmas. PLEASE make my dreams come true.

tegator80

14. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Who would be a candidate for his replacement?

15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Clean hit - great play, just sucked so bad for us. Dean did a great job of getting the ball - I don’t think anybody could have hung onto the ball with that hit

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. steveGator52

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    I hate those hits to the shoulder/neck area, because the sole purpose is to try to dislodge the ball, similar to the Pitts hit over the middle against UGA. He could have put the hit into Dean’s side, but went high instead.

It’s a dirty hit, even if “legal”. Any head contact, even if incidental, should automatically make it a personal foul penalty. He went high for that hit. If that would have been a block, it would have been a penalty for a blindside block. Why should a tackle be any different?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Don't disagree.

Players on the backend never seemed to improve under his tenure, exhibit A Marco Wilson was a better cover guy as a Freshman. Don't know if the scheme is to complex and it causes guys to be out o position or what. Most evident this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Totally agree, this is exactly how I feel, so much so I can't add anything else...

19. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    I'm sure DM has connections, other coaches like SOS, or UM to consult as to recommendations for DC.

20. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    It is legit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1