Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Todd Grantham ... thank you for your service

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by willymayshayes, Dec 20, 2020.

1. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I think this is about the most objective take on tg that I’ve read. I don’t like to bash him , although he pisses me off at times , because I agree he’s not incompetent. I do think there’s something to defenses regressing so badly during his tenures but what it is I have no earthly idea. I’ve read it a few times at various places. His stops at uga and Louisville were carbon copies of what we’ve seen here. First years were all great (relatively speaking ) and each year of his stay the d’s got progressively worse. And the observations of the tenures all seemed the same , poor 3rd down defense , problems lining up and inability to develop players to their potential. Like I said why this is is beyond me and I honestly find it baffling bec again I don’t think he’s an idiot. It so gd bizarre. But the numbers are what they are unfortunately

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    TG would have better success coaching D at Stanford.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    So what is YOUR reason then for the failings on defense? Because like I said, that would leave TG as a bad coach as the only reason I can think of who can't condense the lessons down into something the players can actually digest? Especially if individual assignments and therefore lessons are simple like you say. If you can't teach "simple" stuff, well...the end result is still TG needs to go the only difference being maybe a recommendation from Dan.

I guess an argument could be made he doesn't have the personnel for key aspects. After all, we did improve when Kyree came back and we began setting the gaps better and the defense improved considerably.

You don't need to understand the science of how a virus infects cells to understand that when you have a stuffy nose and throat you probably have a cold. Likewise, you don't need to understand everything about defensive schemes to understand the symptoms are very much akin to players not understanding the system. Now I am very much interested in what your diagnosis is as to what is causing these "symptoms" Dr. Football if I am in fact, wrong.
    That we can at least agree on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    The complexity seems to cause coverage busts which makes it easy to slice and dice. An open gap in the coverage because a guy didn't rotate over is just an open gap to the QB that he can drop the ball in. Doesn't really matter the complexity that went into creating that busted coverage.

I remember one play from the LSU game specifically (this year) where we gave up a TD on a blitz. Guy didn't rotate over until it was too late and it was an easy "throw to the absence of coverage on the blitzing side" QBs are taught in high school. If the guy rotates over and manages to cover him for a SECOND, the blitz would have gotten home and the QB would have been sacked. Instead it was a wide open TD.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor Junior

Aug 16, 2010
    No argument that Mullen is an excellent coach. He does however how some ugly warts like his stubbornness at times, running the ball inside when it's been apparent all year we can't with our current line. Hopefully he proves me wrong with his loyalty issues and ditches Grantham but not hopeful there. We've seen what he can do with a QB that doesn't fit his general mold so it will be exciting to see what happens when Emory takes over and we have a true DT QB. Fingers crossed Santa gets me my fire Grantham present :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    The vast majority of gator fans want a change but change isn't coming at least with TG and our OL coach. We've discussed TG's issues and they are legit. OL coach, not a good recruiter and frankly can't seem to teach run blocking to save his life. We could have NH as rb and he would have trouble running.
    Fact is, DM is loyal to a fault. He hears and knows about the noise and imo he won't let the fans tell him what to do. Prediction, we have MR 2.0. Hope I'm wrong.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. gator_lyn

gator_lyn GC Legend

Oct 28, 2017
    Defense is too complex for these kids

Is that a nice way of saying he sucks at being a Defensive Coordinator/coach?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I’ve always hated his scheme for one reason. Alignment.

Half the time guys don’t know where to line up.
    When they do, we leave ourselves vulnerable.
    We frequently don’t cover down on two TE sets, which causes us to be outflanked and we wonder why we get gashed on run plays.
    We frequently walk a LB out to cover the third member of a trips set, and the LB has been seen trailing the WR into the end zone on multiple plays, while a safety is coming down to cover am underneath route.
    We frequently play three down linemen and two true LBs against 11 personnel (1TE/1RB). Cant match up with a powerful run game like that.
    We frequently line up 12 yards off the ball on 3rd and medium.

But, I thought he had a pretty good plan against Bama, we just couldn’t tackle in space. Several times I thought we were in position to make Bama punt and one guy missed a tackle. That ultimately comes back to the DC to teach his guys to tackle, but they were in position.
    Edit: the three man rush at the end of the half was absurd and he could be fired for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    I hadn't seen from that angle but it makes a bit more sense why Dean didn't see the guy and got blindsided. He was sort of hidden against the sideline with the other white shirts and Dean pauses to cut exactly at the moment the receiver hits him with a full head of steam. A good play by their receiver but Dean makes a stellar play on the interception, gets blindsided and fumbles to the only Bama player in the area who is on the ground. We certainly didn't catch the breaks last night.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’m no X’s and O’s expert,

But one thing that seems glaringly obvious is the insane amount of cushion our CB’s give. They start 10 yards off the WR and then sprint backwards. Whether the other team is running an out, a hitch, or a slant, the amount of cushion and the fact our DB is running AWAY from the WR rather than WITH them just seems to give up some unbelievably easy completions - it almost doesn’t even matter what route they are running, we are giving up a free 10-15-20 yards to any competent QB. I actually don’t remember that happening so much before this year.

Now one thing that does seem common from the last couple years is our safeties rarely seem to be in the same zip code as the ball. That might make sense if they are supporting the run and you are trusting your corners to lock down, leaving your corners on an island but in press coverage. But our corners are literally running away from the play, giving huge windows for completions, and then there is no safety on the backend. I just don’t get what we are even trying to do with our DB’s running all over the place, but sometimes not really covering anybody.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    The less cushion you give, the more you rely on the pressure getting to the QB because the more susceptible you are to things like hitch and gos and double moves that play on overly aggressive corners. To me, it looks like the plan is to give enough cushion to prevent that and close once the ball is in the air, and ideally you contact the receiver just as the ball is getting there and at best jar the ball loose and at least make the tackle. If I had to guess, corners are giving up too much cushion for the way the defensive plays are designed as I agree its often TOO much to be how the play was drawn up.
    This is also why our piss pour tackling was a huge culprit to our early defensive woes.

This is why I made the rigid and stars aligned comment about Grantham's offense. To me, this IS the simplification of the defense. And its just too damn soft for SEC play. It seems he either needs the perfect personnel to execute it, or it has to be simplified so much its practically useless.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Or our guys have low football iq, it’s one or the other. My take is that no matter what it is, someone can get more out of the talent we have. Trask is far from prototype Mullen qb but he focused on Trasks strengths and had the most productive offense maybe that he’s ever had.we have three prototypes on the roster and I’ll take Trask any day. A good coach adapts to his players, not the other way around. Maybe Grantham can learn that.

13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I see that point and question the same things but.... what about Sabans defense? Isn’t he supposedly good?

14. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Double moves work better on the scheme we have now than on press man. Has to do with momentum, if you play press man properly using the correct arm to press and play your correct leverage you end up trailing by a half of a yard and having the sideline as your friend. So you just follow the guy at that point, needing speed and size to play deep balls or back shoulder throws. If you play off you end up needing to break on the route when the receiver goes into his break leaving the defenders momentum going towards the QB instead of just following the WR allowing a double move to go right by you. The downside to press man is that you leave yourself vulnerable to the big play on almost every play. In my opinion in college football press man is the more effective scheme because most QBs in college can't hit deep throws consistently enough to make you pay. At the end of the day whichever one you choose, you HAVE to line up with proper numbers on the strong and weak sides and you HAVE to tackle well if you want to have an elite defense. Everything is else is a matter of personal preference, although if I was DC we'd be running press man a lot, and when we played teams with elite QBs I'd mix it up and try to confuse them by running different coverages, amounts of safety help and blitzes. Either way hope we get rid of Grantham. Can't stand watching these huge cushions, but more importantly can't stand pulling my hair out because we can't even get lined up properly (see first play of our game vs UGA as a prime example)!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Changes may be coming.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Check out Inside the swamp Twitter.

17. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    Link or info? I’m not on Twitter

18. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Here are words.
    Did I say that the Recruiting Staff addition is confirmed? No, I said it was being worked on. However, I did confirm TG will be out at Florida after the bowl game. He will take another DC gig & it will be labeled “mutual parting of ways.”

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  19. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    I really hope that info is legit. You can’t make me believe UF would not be an attractive opportunity for any coach, at any position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1