Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Todd Grantham ... thank you for your service

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by willymayshayes, Dec 20, 2020.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The LSU game wasn't perfect offense, but it was good enough to win that game offense.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And he wasn't that good of a DC in the NFL.

3. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Actually the announcers gave it Jones, Najee, Smith, the douche offensive lineman who needed an acl tear and got one, one of the cheerleaders from Bama and Grantham before they included Trask. Im sure they think he shouldnt even get an invite. Amazing how obvious the choice actually is but how people are swayed by affiliation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    TG is top ten in highest paid assistants / coordinators. IMO, this is criminal stealing. multiple 600 yard + games by our opponents. In many big games, we had serious trouble getting opponents off the field. With a functional D each week we might be undefeated, or at minimum a 1 loss team. Next year we lose Trask, Toney & Pitts. CDM will have to rebuild.

Recruiting is also very important. We are not going to be able to get to the playoffs unless we get OL/DL trench recruits that are close in ability to Bama, Georgia, and other top notch SEC teams. It was miraculous that we performed against Bama without a serious running threat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    This offense may be the best ever but I’d still have to go 96. Very similar with Fred Taylor and run blocking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Gold watch time

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    We were beyond young with little veteran talent in 2007. We played a freshman Mike Pouncy at DT most of the year we were so short on bodies. That defense was just too young and low on bodies to step up.

The 2020 defense has so much veteran talent there is little reason for the mistakes you are citing above. Veteran secondary, veteran DL, and veteran LBs. No reason for how poorly they performed all year other than coaching and scheme.

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I’m ok w occasionally putting corners on islands as we should have the type of corners ( Haden, Jenkins, C.J., and plenty of others) that can play that way and pass that test sometimes. What I have a concern with is that when put on an island it seems are guys haven’t been taught proper techniques. I’ll not go into detail as we can all see it.

Elam is an NFL player and should honestly be counted on to take away one side of the field next year. Question is will we put a young guy like Jason Marshall on the other side of the field? We should be able to and we should be able to float him a little bit more safety help due to Elam’s presence on the other side of the field. We see other young guys ball out their freshman year, why not with us? We’ve got some potentially great young guys coming in and hoping we get to see some contribute early. Nothing is easy, especially young guys getting reps at DT and OT is really challenging but this year these young guys stood out with getting quality reps and could be huge next year with our season:
    Dexter- got better and looked impressive at times by year end.

Tre’Vez- Love this kid and I honestly think he has a starter next year. Some of the best instincts of any of our guys.

Torrance-Should post to be a starter next year. Still very young and will make mistakes but has a great future and experience the game this year was invaluable.

Braun-has to start next year. The sky is the limit. I, as well as many others I am sure, are very high on this kid and think he is an all SEC performer before he leaves here.

Henderson-Got a lot of reps with a loaded receiver room. Will take the top off the defense and is our best the threat.

Princely-didn’t get the time we all wish she would have received but will have to be in the two deep next year and get 20 to 25 snaps a game. His bend to get around the edge is extremely unique as he stays lower yet on path to the quarterback at a very advanced level. A ball game would be a great opportunity for him to see 15 snaps as we really need to make sure he understands he has a great future here.

Wingo-at some point he will be too talented to keep off the field.

New guys coming in next year that have a chance to be impact players immediately:

Marshall-The type of guy we’ve been looking for in our recruiting classes for a couple of years. Extremely talented and somebody that needs to be on the field early.

McMillon-expect to see him get reps at safety early. This is the kind of dog that we all have been looking for. The ultimate competitor with size and the ability to stop a runner immediately.

Scooby-Steal of the class. Needs to see the field. At some point young guys will have to see the field. Too talented to it see the field.

J. Boone-Severely underrated and may not see early time but he could as his ceiling is very high.

D. Black- NO way he’s kept off field. Hoping he’s our big thumping Strong Safety but wherever he’s needed he’s a starter. Not coming here to sit. Giving him a standing O first time he comes into the field.

Burke and Elksnis- not sure they will see the field a lot but both could surprise. Always thought Burke was better than most and he’s got a huge future. At TE Gamble and Zip will be great but Elksnis is long and will surprise. He”ll need weight but gonna surprise.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. cubangator

cubangator GC Legend

Jul 8, 2017
    If I was a betting man, I would bet that Mullen would bring Grantham back.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I agree, but I don't think anything happens this year. He'll get another shot next year.

12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I think this may actually capture how I feel. Well said.

He lost me in the aTm game, but the reasons are the same. But I would add in the NFL his defense would have to be more disciplined.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    just an fyi- robbie andreu is saying the tweet attributed to him is a fake

14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And with Grantham back there we never will. That has been his MO since he started to coach - 3rd and Grantham is the laughing stock of college football. Yes we scored 46 on Bama but that is an aberration compared to our defense. Bama scoring 52 is normal against us. It was predicted as such. I predicted 55 points. Grantham did great last year because he was still living off the last DC's recruits and now he's lost the last of them. From now on, it's all his with his teaching, or lack there of. Tackling is the sign that Grantham is no good. All of our defensive players tackle like it's social distancing. It's like they are afraid of contact. Powder puff football. Might as well change their unis for Tootoos. It even made the world laugh when a 230 lb behemoth hurdled one of our defenders like OJ Simpson in the Hertz commercial. That's on coaching when it is systemic and it's been like that since Mullen has been HBC. Then add the showboating that the coaches won't address. Why are we celebrating Bama getting a 1st down? Is it because we didn't give up a TD? There is no discipline on defense and it starts at the top.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    This has been a funny year when we score more than anyone in the league . And get scored on each series also
    Like that with everyone this year and like I say a funny year.

16. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    Because 1) the symptoms the defense is showing is one that can only be explained away by either scheme or coaching/teaching. Either the scheme is too complex, or TG is a bad coach that can't condense the lessons down. Such as not being able to get aligned on almost every play, the consistent lapses in coverage as one guy doesn't rotate over like he should, etc.
    And the reason I believe its the former of the two possibilities is 2) Every player that has played for TG that has ever commented on it will tell you it's very complex and not easily learned

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    I think I know what celebration you are talking about and I think he thought he held them Either way, unless e have someone good, we don't a
    LOL! That is too funny. As the case with all DOHsocial media, someone says something, another repeats it and it continues. I know defense. Played safety for 4 years and it's not rocket science. His schemes are but now his individual plays. An argument can easily be made that some fundamentals are not being met but his playbook is doable and anyway, I said TELL ME what makes it so complex and don't give me a MockingJay answer, and you LITERALLY did that. Too funny RGF.

18. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Grantham's issue is that he has no natural instincts that an OC or DC need to be successful. Rarely blitzing the young LSU QB in long yardage situations clearly shows he doesn't know what he should do. He should do the opposite of what he first thinks he should do. Apparently, he's the only one watching that doesn't know what's coming on 3rd and Grantham.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    But there has never been a person that can really see that CDM is an amazing coach that has played football. Obviously it is hyperbole. I don't actually believe people shouldn't have their opinions but anyone that doesn't think that Coach Mullen is not only good but one of, if not THE best in the league doesn't know football and should refrain from polluting their opinion.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    His defense is complex to our own players, but apparently very easy for opposing offenses to pick apart.

Even when our defenses were "great", they were mostly great against teams with below average QB play. I'm sort of OK with that, as most college programs don't have great NFL level QB play. I feel like if it if your defense can stifle the run, and it takes elite NFL QB play to beat you, that is basically as good as you can be. Obviously last year LSU picked us apart like they did everyone else, but 3rd and grantham really reared it's head against UGA. This year was just a whole different level of ineptitude. Very few coaches get retained after that sort of thing. Feels like you have to change *something* when you are looking at a total collapse. We just wasted our best offense in school history, how can Mullen not be frustrated when his offense was running like a well oiled machine? I don't get it. It's not like the guy is going to starve or we should feel bad for him. He hot paid pretty hefty coordinator money and did terribly. I wish I could get paid that well for that level of failure.

• Like Like x 1