Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Todd Grantham ... thank you for your service

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by willymayshayes, Dec 20, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy VIP Member

Jan 6, 2009
    No, I really don't. I suspect it is subpar coaching, but I don't know.

The two years Meyer won NCs the defense was really good. The year in between it was awful. So who you have on the field obviously makes a big difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. beachgator23

beachgator23 GC Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    But the problem was not offensively We scored 46 freaking points vs Bama on ZERO turnovers, please review.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    This is true, but in 07 we weren't running CB blitzes from Africa. We weren't lining up in a way that just gives teams what they want. We weren't just giving up on 3rd and short. The players absolutely matter, but the suckage of this defense goes well beyond the talent that's on the field.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    We gave up 315 points in 11 games this year.

the 07 team gave up 330 in 13 games

this years d was historically bad

time for a change.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Look at recruiting vs some of the lesser teams in the sec. It proves coaching is the problem.

Talent is there.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    :confused:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Well to be fair Dean got the ball back but their WR took his head off with the crown of his helmet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

Clearly this year it was BOTH lack of talent AND coaching. I doubt his scheme or philosophy changed drastically. When his defenses are loaded with talent, they can be “good” - but are also exploitable. 3rd and Grantham is an earned moniker. In general I think he puts his corners on an island too much, is terrible against the screen pass (which is why there’s so much 3rd and long failure), etc. Again, when we are loaded with talent on D these issues crop up once in awhile, or it takes a really good qb to read it and pick it apart.

This year we got a taste of what his d looked like with average talent and no real exceptional playmakers... and it wasn’t pretty. Basically even average passing teams could throw at will against our poor secondary, and really good teams could just do whatever they wanted period.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    I've held my tongue on TG, mostly because even when I was agreeing with the idea that maybe he should coach elsewhere next season, I DIDN'T agree with the idea he's a bad coach and still don't

But I'm now 100% confident his place is not here. As I said, I don't think he's a bad or even average DC. His scheme is simply too complex and rigid for college football where you have a guy for 4-5 years at best.

It's too complex and that results in major downswings when he doesn't have all juniors/seniors who have been in the system awhile or highly cerebral players who can pick up a lot quickly. It also results in the alignment issues we've seen all season where players are still trying to get lined up right up until the ball is snapped.

And it's too rigid because apparently it can't be simplified without becoming untenably soft for SEC play.

I think he would actually make an excellent NFL DC where he could have professional players selected to fit his scheme that could sit in it for several years. But at a college where he can reasonably expect large amounts of players to leave for the NFL after 3 years and constantly have to plug in new bodies, it falls flat if all the stars aren't perfectly aligned..

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. abc1234

abc1234 All American

Sep 26, 2010
    The WR’s helmet never touched him. That was all shoulder.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Ok abc123, did you even watch the game? Mechie absolutely ear-holed him with the crown of his helmet.

12. abc1234

abc1234 All American

Sep 26, 2010
    You can rewatch the play on YT and slow down the playback speed and see for yourself. Their helmets simply did not touch.

BAE93E98-001A-4DB2-8FB3-4A78B4781DC8.jpeg 513E01CD-C228-4B64-9A1F-8E823EEB37BE.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    You have to be blind

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    This was the greatest offense in Florida history and it was wasted. Our two biggest losses this year we played perfect on O... and lost.

The team knows this. If you let TG stay then what are you signaling? Where is the accountability?

This was the worst defense in modern Gator history. Is there any other defense that would have gotten 2 stops this game? Easiest D Bama faced all year. But the thing is it’s not just thing game. It’s every game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Kyle Trask kept us in this thing. Stupid commentators couldn't tell but Trask is light years ahead of gump QB and it would be a slaughter if Trask had the team around him that Jones does. I guess he doesn't win the Heisman but swiney promoting his glam qb is nauseating. I guess I'll continue the thought but it is recruiting that is keeping the Gators from reaching the promised land and we have to figure out why. Swiney and bowl cut boy out recruiting us is BS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. NOTgaGATORanymore

NOTgaGATORanymore GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Albany Georgia
    Mullen is loyal to a fault. Grantham is going nowhere, unless he gets sick of all the "noise" and leaves on his own

MAKE MORE NOISE PEOPLE!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Yeah, why is it too complex? Why don’t you just tell me the general reason beside the Mockinjay why his defense is too damn complex? Because you’ve heard it?

Please tell me exactly why? Go.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  18. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor Junior

Aug 16, 2010
    Does this extend to all aspects of life? Can we not complain about the refs as you do in this post because we've never been refs? Seems like a silly thing to say since there are/have been coaches at high levels that have never played football.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. UFish

UFish GC Legend

Dec 14, 2010
    My problem with the defense this year is after Game 1 against Ole Miss when we couldn’t even tackle, we never got better. We had issues getting set late in the play clock all season. Our pass rush with four guys rushing was almost non-existent, busts in the secondary, untimely penalties, big plays, etc.

No, we don’t have a handful of NFL defensive backs like we’ve had in years past, but again it NEVER got better. That’s on coaching.

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill Senior

Feb 7, 2018
    I think the Gator players were self motivated last night. They seemed to give their best effort last night. They played with lots of heart against the #1 team in the country, scored 46 points, and almost beat Alabama.

I am very very proud of our Gators.
    The Gators had reasons to win last night. The players should be able to motivate themselves. Team leaders have to inspire motivation, to play 33% better makes all the difference in the world. Too much on the line. The better they do then more opportunity in life for everyone.

Proud Gator last night. Thanks Gators, you can hold your head up high.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3