Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Todd Golden named head coach

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by ThunderGator, Mar 18, 2022.

1. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Odd selection. The UAA has gone all in with the football team and nothing left in the tank to get a more proven guy. He has my support but wow...we are looking at some bleak seasons ahead here. UGA gets MW and we get someone nobody has heard of.

• Come On Man x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You mean someone "YOU" have not heard of. Within the coaching ranks he is very well thought of.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Huh...ok...again...will be a long couple of seasons as we give him a chance to see if he even deserves to be with the elites..

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    But statistically, it is likely to win us more games than it loses us. Which is kind of the whole point of analytics. Quantify how likely things are to win us games and cost us games, and go with whichever gives us the best chance of winning. Even if it is only a slightly better chance, over the long haul we end up with more wins.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    There’s always a reason to be optimistic. One doesn’t want to live his life as a negative Nelly

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Agreed, but see post #203 . . . talk about
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gatorstrackman

gatorstrackman GC Legend

Nov 24, 2021
    This was fantastic! I went from being “gutsy hire, hope this works..” then after reading the article “Hell yea! More excited about this than the Napier hire” . Check out his stats as a walk-on at PG! Like everything I’m hearing about his coaching abilities and (maybe even more important?) Upbeat offense, exciting relentless play. Agressive B Pearl fun style without the coach-sweat and histrionics? In some ways mirrors a young Billy D. except BD played in an actual Final Four.
    Love the prospect of international players. USF lost their Colin Castleton double-double type forward w/ 2 games left in the season and still went to OT. Nothing against MW but Coach Golden seems can talk the talk (Whites speech’s at UGa yesterday Zzzz...”Go Dawgs! Guess I need some Red & Black, Family talk my wife ...thank you for support team & teamish culture accountability blah blah.basically said nothing new and promised a couple things he sure couldn’t do at UF.”
    The sky’s the limit now and I so hope Coach Golden succeeds.
    And really hope he especially kicks Georgia’s and FSUs ass every year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us start off a 10-0 start next year & all they fans will come screaming back including ((have seen st least one or more Gator basktball game every year for 40+ years (saw Neal Walk out play Tom Boerwinkle of #UT in AAlley. Saw Moten & Maxwell. actually dunked at 8th Av slabs on Vernon Delancy, plus us win the SEC in Baton Rouge ..wanted murder a couple LSU fans that night 88/89 season? got to know Dwayne before he died. My kids at BD camp every summer, they loved it. Saw UD take on Kwame Brown in a 4 on 4 pickup game there at camp late night. Unreal! Best: saw ass kicking of Ohio St for the NC in ‘08)) away games to watching exciting basketball. Can’t wait !
    And a big BIOYA to anyone blaming the fans for 3 mil$/yr. MW who could’ve begged us for one more chance, even taken a pay cut to coach this team next year , he is skipping town to coach for our hated rival. Gainesville for Athens? GTFO!
    Ps all the players dedicated the win over Iona to Coach P. and seem to love him Hope he stays on.
    Sorry for the ramble...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    TG has the tools and the philosophy for major success.

Will it happen? Who knows but I have hope.

I have total confidence MW will never see real success at UGA, or anywhere for that matter. Maybe his “floor” is better but so what?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. GratorGator

GratorGator All American

Nov 14, 2015
    I like this a lot:

"he demands of his players, starting with "being elite" in areas that do not require talent; like effort, fight, passion and intelligence."

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gatorade

gatorade All American

Oct 21, 2014
    Hear this a lot "very well thought of." Last I checked Jim McElwaine was highly thought of coming out of Colorado St as was Mike White, Will Muschamp, and countless others who were not proven on the big stage. I read today Bruce Pearl said he "loved him like a son." Pearl also gets trashed here on the reg for being a cheat. So guess you can't always believe what you hear and read. Hope it works out for Goldie. Been snake bit too many times over the years to presume everything will be great. I will be cautiously optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Amazing how the naysayers are already knocking the new guy.Where does the naysayers experience come from? This is the same BS that has driven a number of good coaches away from Florida. I'm and old guy who loves the school and not a young guy with no experience. I just wish these boo birds would go away NOW!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    It goes back to what plenty of us think: we have Cadillac (yes, still the best word to use) taste and a Yugo budget. Whining judgement is always in fashion.

Personally, I like the "egg ahead of the chicken" approach. Get the potential HR hire and then pay them what they are worth. You never know which current HR coaching candidate is a step too far.

13. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Look I want gator basketball back, but what is the golden item on in his resume? Being an assistant with Bruce pearl?
    I get it he helped recruit some studs while he was there at auburn, but auburn was not a good basketball team when he was there.

His predecessor at San Fran had very similar records as him, but never got an at large bid. Is that the only difference between him and Kyle Smith

I’m supporting him 100% but I’m not 100% sold. EVery young coach is energetic. Coaching in the sec is brutal - you have to recruit at a high level, coach at a high level and then retain players between seasons to be successful.

My +s - I do like the real-time plus-minus differentials and the international pipeline , but you have to get some Florida talent to stay in state.

mike white clearly didn’t look at plus minus differentials during games. I’m assuming most coaches do though.

the last item to be that always is lost - is the quality of the staff he brings in. They do all the heavy lifting, scouting teams and are the keys to identifying talent and recruiting.

for example - what ever the rules are, I’d get as engaged with IMG as possible. You have to take advantage of that school being in Florida.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Dang, I saw Neal Walk in Alligator Alley with my dad. The M&M boys, met Norm Sloan, have been to the ODome many times before they renovated it. Met Steven O’Connel who helped with getting the ODome built. Met Nat Moore at my family house in the sixties, great person and great athlete! Anyway hearing you talk about Neal Walk and the Tommy Bartlett team brings back memories of having tall, muscled basketball players. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  15. OrmondGator

OrmondGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Cautiously optimistic is all anyone could rationally expect at this stage. There's no way to know how any hire will turn out. Even a 'home run' hire would have been a bit of a crap shoot. The Muschamp hire looked like a huge coup at the time and we know how that worked out.

Weird time at UF. I can't recall a time when we were starting over in both football and men's BB

I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic as well ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    The people in the student section for the last 20 years may be Gators but they aren't your people.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  17. gozags

gozags Recruit

Nov 19, 2016
    FWIW I've been around "awhile".

Todd Golden is a good one ... and at his age has a chance to be a "good" .. or "great" one at UF for a loooooonnng time. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    What does this even mean?

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. ooogabooga

ooogabooga Junior

May 10, 2019
    I am 100% confident you don't do any research lol!!! He has already been successful at two programs. When he brings Georgia back to relevancy he will be lured away by another top program.

Statistics overview
    Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
    Louisiana Tech Bulldogs
    (Western Athletic Conference) (2011–2013)
    2011–12 Louisiana Tech 18–16 6–8 T–5th
    2012–13 Louisiana Tech 27–7 16–2 T–1st NIT Second Round
    Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (Conference USA) (2013–2015)
    2013–14 Louisiana Tech 29–8 13–3 T–1st NIT Quarterfinals
    2014–15 Louisiana Tech 27–9 15–3 1st NIT Quarterfinals
    Louisiana Tech: 101–40 (.716) 50–16 (.758)
    Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (2015–2022)
    2015–16 Florida 21–15 9–9 T–8th NIT Quarterfinals
    2016–17 Florida 27–9 14–4 2nd NCAA Division I Elite Eight
    2017–18 Florida 21–13 11–7 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 32
    2018–19 Florida 20–16 9–9 8th NCAA Division I Round of 32
    2019–20 Florida 19–12 11–7 T–4th NCAA Division I Canceled*
    2020–21 Florida 15–10 9–7 5th NCAA Division I Round of 32
    2021–22 Florida 19–13 9–9 T–5th
    Florida: 142–88 (.617) 72–52 (.581)

• Like Like x 1
  20. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator VIP Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Take a breath. He's the coach. The program comes first so he has my support.

He needs a Katie Turner, and fast!

Always forward.

Go Gators!

• Winner Winner x 1