Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

To me the most encouraging aspect of the game was

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:15 PM.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    The improvement I saw in tackling. We missed far less tackles yesterday than we did against Kentucky. We wrapped up much better. That in itself kept Colorado State from making some big plays. If we continue to do that and improve from game to game IMO our defense will be what we want it to be. On defense our players were in the right position and tackled well.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. NOTgaGATORanymore

NOTgaGATORanymore GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Albany Georgia
    Agreed. There were a number of things we did better than the week before, which is what coaches want to see. Good effort and good game IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Still dealing with injuries but all things considered - yes - big improvement on tackling!

I didn't see Reese last night - I thought he was going to play.

Anyone have an update?

4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Night and day. The secondary is going to be a thrill ride, but the front seven looked like it may be able to live up to off season expectations.

5. YoungGATOR

YoungGATOR GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    It's crazy how if you practice like you're supposed to it translates to the game. ;)

Tebow said it best...they're talented, not good.

6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Our safeties are a weak link (considering CG a nickel). They aren't providing much in the way of run support and have often been out of position on pass plays. They have been slow to support the corners when passes go toward the sidelines. I didn't see much improvement from Game 2 to Game 3, whereas the remainder of the D stepped up their game somewhat.

Hopefully a lot of this is youth and that with experience they will get better, but right now a competent passing team might carve us up like a Christmas goose.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    I think he’ll be ready to face the Vols.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Now imagine our DBs trying to defend against Missouri and their accurate passing game. Quack Quack

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    This and the energetic high quality special teams play. To me that shows me the players are buying in.

10. SavageGator

SavageGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    Our linebackers are playing better than most expected

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Its amazing when you give people an incentive they blossom. In this case just the simple opportunity to go through the meal line first is all it takes. Imagine if the had to follow the offensive linemen everyday.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Finding some rhythm in the run game was encouraging as well. We just need to see it sooner.

T Dean held up very well. He was targeted often and was solid. After he & CJ it’s a pretty stop drop off though.

Though he was out of position sometimes Stewart was around the ball a lot. With added experience he’ll be fine.

Good to see us pin our ears back and rush the passer. I don’t know that we have an elite guy on the DL but we have 7 or 8 that are pretty good.

Surprised that no one has brought up how dominant we were against the run... 70 yds on 42 carries? Solid. Especially since most of it came late when the game was out of hand.

Houston needs to start at some point. He was everywhere

Perine & Pierce have separated themselves IMO. 27/261 9.6 ypc between them... it was obvious that the run game is more fluid with them in it. They just hit the hole harder and more decisively than the other 2 ...and their feet don’t stop moving.

13. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Well, I wouldn't make too much of a deal about playing reasonably well against CSU. Of course, this is likely to be a very, very long development process on both Offense and Defense.

At least Special Teams have reappeared after being missing for so long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    I notice the tackling on the first 3 drives.

Now, if we can get Franks to deliver his passes quicker, we have an unbeatable team.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Well, against UT, they're not going to get tested much by the passing game anyway. UT will be about 75% run against us next Saturday.

16. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm encouraged by the play calling. CDM seems to have a knack to get the team going in the proper direction with his handling of the game. Franks was way off the first few drives, and CDM changed it up to get him comfortable. I can't remember the last time in years past where the O adjusted on the fly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Dean showed promise. He reminds me of how Wilson used to maul people in the beginning.:eek: I thought there were way too many completed passes by CSU. Sometimes these guys should make a break and try and pick a few of those.

The improvement was refreshing. Like seeing Franks take off when he sees the opportunity...special teams were sick!! Kickers are really good. Ran back a TD.Who was that? I think he's been on the team for like 30 years.

Continued progress and beating the Vols would be very cool.;):cool:

Go Gators.:D

18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Any word on Davis or McWilliams?

19. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    On TOS, an intern claimed to have asked him Saturday about his injury, and he said he was not near recovered (very swollen yet) but coaches would want him to play. I hope he sits this game out, if he is not sandbagging, and gets recovered or near recovered for MSU and LSU. I am always of the opinion that an 80% starter is not as effective as a 100% backup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. TrueGator

TrueGator Sophomore

Nov 11, 2014
    Swain's punt return was exciting. It really lit the fans up.

• Like Like x 1