Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Time for change

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Swampgenie, Mar 22, 2021.

1. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    How many years did it take him to outperform his immediate predecessor? It sounds like @gatordavisl is saying ...maybe 8? If so, it argues for patience. They could have lost a guy who went on to rewrite record books.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    In his first 6 years Few won 81% of his games, 5 conference titles, 5 conference tournament titles and made 2 Sweet 16's. Few was never in danger of losing his job. This wasn't an exercise of patience by Gonzaga. It's a strange case to make about Few, even more so that it keeps getting argued. Would make much more sense to point to someone like Jay Wright.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yes, but even you noted that Gonzaga plays in a "tiny conference." Nobody is arguing that Few was ever in danger of losing his job. That's a strawman argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    That's typically what is implied by saying a school showed patience with a coach. After all, he was used as an example of not making a coaching change on a thread about making a coaching change.

5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Poor ball handling, poor decision making, poor positioning, and a variety of reasons.... all because of poor coaching/development. If the players were just un-coachable or ball hogs, I'd agree with you, but I don't in this situation. My question is, then why are they playing is they've some turnover-prone? We cant just blame almost the entire. This is a coaching problem. Six years proves that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Putting the last game against FSU aside, White is still 0-5 against them. That doesn't feel any better.

7. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    The last game should figure into it since we were rolling when KJ went down. Would we have won? I don't know that for a fact but we were on the right track to finally break the string of losses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Gonzaga’s conference sucks, so we can just ignore the conference titles. White made it to an Elite 8 which last I checked is better than the Sweet 16. Maybe my math is off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Ok, I don’t know what is being argued. I don't know what that has to do with Gonzaga showing patience, which is all I've been talking about. Few’s job was never anywhere close to being in danger, would have never crossed anyone’s mind to even think that.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    You used Gonzaga’s 5 conference titles as a way to indicate how well they did under Mark Few’s first years. My point is that the level of difficulty is not the same. Nobody expects a coach to win 5 straight SEC conference championships. I think any decent coach at Gonzaga would clean up that conference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I used that to point out that Few wasn’t getting fired. No one was talking about firing Few. Gonzaga was in great shape and building itself up as a program. Few was winning and winning a lot.

12. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    In a weak conference. He wasn’t doing much in the tournament. I am saying forget the largely irrelevant wins in his awful conference. How did he do on the big stage? Coach White is comparable to his early years and arguably better since he got to an Elite 8. If you think Few was good, why is White bad?

13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    So 1-5 against the Noles (assuming KJ didn’t go down and we won that game- a BIG assumption) is jam up and jelly tight for you? Come on. Look, White deserves another year given what went down this year and perhaps two more years. I’m not a guy who clamors for firing coaches. But there are multiple other things trending in the wrong direction for our program, and you know it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    First of all, whether or not it was a weak conference is irrelevant. They weren't dominating the conference prior to his arrival, they were after. But again, you keeping bringing this back to White vs. Few which has nothing to do with what I was talking about nor have I have ever put forth such an argument. The only thing I took issue with is using Few as an example of school showing patience with a coach. It's not a good example, that's all I was saying.

15. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Well, the goal is to win the National championship, not conference championships. So, yes... the Zags fans and administration have been patient with him.

16. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Ok, I'm not going back and forth on this anymore. Clearly you are convinced that Gonzaga's keeping Few all these years was a real exercise in courage by their AD. Never going to see eye to eye on that.

17. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Senior

Oct 17, 2011
    Didnt fsu beat us during the back to back years? Would you prefer we beat them yearly or win titles? They aren’t the measuring stick.

• Like Like x 2
  18. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    No, I don't. The point is it's not an exercise in courage to keep White, either.

19. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    That's an interesting thing to draw out of what I said. Where did I say that 1-5 against the Noles is okay with me. I made the comment about our game this year.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    False. It's almost as if you didn't look any of this stuff up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1