Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tim Tebow on Kneeling During the National Anthem

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is what Kaepernick said after the first time he didn't stand:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

While I disagree with pretty much everything he said, and even how he is protesting, I also disagree that it is overtly disrespectful to the military. His protest clearly had nothing to do with the military and his intentions where clear. That said, some people in the military felt disrespected by it, while others did not. So it's in the eye of the beholder as to whether or not it's disrespectful to people who have served. But his protest was clearly to bring attention to police shootings and I don't think he intended to insult anyone other than the police, and even that was limited to police who shot black people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Thanks Sean. While he (they) may not be calling out the military in particular, disrespecting our flag and national anthem likely offends more of our veterans than it doesn’t. And it offends the hell out of me, and I didn’t even serve.

Take your protest to a different part of the game - before the national anthem, after the national anthem, or hold a big fat demonstration at midfield before kickoff or at halftime - I really don’t care. But for those of us who love this country of ours, in spite of our problems, which are many, making a “screw this country” statement during the one time when we are supposed to be standing in respect for all who have sacrificed, is deeply offensive.

All I can do is vote by my actions, and I’ve totally checked out on the MFL.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Just because you are offended doesn't make you right.

This statement can be applied too so much but it seems everyone (including myself) picks and choices how it applies.

But that is just human nature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You are correct, sir. And just because CK and all the kneelers are offended doesn’t make them right either. Goes both ways. I make my statement by refusing to watch, and that offends nobody.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’ve made it my policy to stay the hell away from Too Hot, but I rode this thread over and here I am.......time to walk away while I still have access to Swampgas ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You blame the president for everything you don’t like - I get it. As long as we’re in Too Hot, do you blame our past president for selling his soul, and our taxpayer Dollars, to the biggest terrorist state on the planet, Iran?

Of course not.....

7. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    The words of Mr. Kapernick are clear. He chose the flag which is the symbol of our country to lodge a protest against the country for whatever the reason it matters not. The fact is Mr. Kapernick has no pride in this nation or the flag that represents the nation. In short by extension Mr. Kapernick denounces everything and everyone military included who have pride in our nation and the flag that stands for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    My guess is if the issue was really pushed the NFL couldn't make them stand for the anthem but having a policy that required them not to be on the field if they refuse to stand for the anthem would withstand legal scrutiny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Would entirely depend on the judge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mutz87

mutz87 Famishus Vulgarus VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Surprisingly, I'm in agreement with you. You're in danger of becoming a progressive. :)

I offered a simple solution to this problem on an earlier thread. The NFL should either stop playing the national anthem before games or keep all players in the locker room while they play it. Either way, problem solved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The pro-abortion media is apparently giving Timmy grief again. Ever since he made the Super Bowl commercial with Focus on the Family ...

Everything is political nowadays. Conform or be cast out.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The simplest solution is to keep them all in the locker room(like college). But we all know that wouldn't fly with trump or the guy grabbing a beer or taking a whiz or buying a new jersey etc......the players must stand!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    I think if they put some teeth into it their proposed rule would solve the issue mostly. Just have the ones that refuse to respect the US Flag stay out of sight while its played.

Getting rid of it would just reward the disrespect and the same with forcing the patriotic players to stay in the locker room. That would still have many fans ticked off.

14. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    In other words forced patriotism otherwise... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    True but I think if it went high enough that would be the case. I think most appeals courts would take that view also.

16. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Getting rid of it is simply getting rid of it.

It was done to gin up the connection between football and patriotism, but neither watching football nor singing the national anthem makes one a patriot just as not watching football nor not standing and singing doesn't make one not a patriot.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Overt displays of patriotism and patriotic symbols are often phony and nothing less than jingoism.
    Politicians, hucksters, car salesmen and (some) tv evangelists have been doing that for years.
    It sickens me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    That would tick off over half the fanbase if they took that away. They would see it as rewarding these players who disrespect the US Flag.

19. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    It is a catch 22 for the NFL. However like any employer they have the right to demand the protocols of employees. Either follow the protocol or suffer whatever consequences are in effect. The NFL does this now in what players can wear on and off the field when representing the franchise. Short of asking players to commit some criminal activity no judge is going to side with the employee.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I like your SR-71

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.