Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tim Smith

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, May 31, 2019.

1. pstebb

pstebb Recruit

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t think people fully understand how perfectly positioned Kirby is in Georgia. I live in Atlanta and can tell you this state is a one University State. Georgia Tech is irrelevant, everything is about Georgia. Additionally Kirby is a homegrown Georgia boy and he is the son of a long time Georgia high school football coach. He has known the big time coaches for decades and the ones that don’t know him, know his dad. Growing up in Florida it is just a different kind of devotion people have in this state. Not saying UF fans aren’t devoted but there is just more of a mixture in the population. I’m not saying bag men don’t happen but it isn’t nearly as prevalent as people think. Kirby has the 4th best state for high school talent and no instate competition. Virtually unlimited resources, is close enough to pull from Florida, Louisiana, Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee. And, both Athens and Atlanta to highlight. This is just a perfect storm but all storms eventually blow themselves out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Kirby spent YEARS with Saban and was a great recruiter there and he also has great recruiters on his staff. Adding Hartley to his staff was HUGE as I know him well from how great he was at Miami.

Like @pstebb said, Georgia like LSU don't have much if any competition when it comes to instate competition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    Chris Rainey would like a talk with you.

Of course Florida players as well as players from everywhere else have taken money from boosters. The less common scenario is coaches directly coordinating the payouts. I think most would agree that Ole Miss coaches were doing that if no one else. If Florida's boosters are as coordinated as Bama and Georgia boosters, it is not as apparent.

Will players look at their long-term development over money? I think that is pretty obvious at some positions like QB. The relationships and the personality of the coach and the skill of the coach is very meaningful. However, the lure of money for some kids who have never had money to walk around with is too much, and they will look at the stipend at one school versus the other and what is offered by boosters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I agree with most all of this. I've been vocal here saying that every school buys players in some fashion although I think some schools have a more systemic method of doing so. I have no doubt saban and his protoges are smart enough not to involve themselves in any sort of documebtable fashion. That's not to say he doesn't have a say in who their people "get" and how a priority certain recruits may be

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Bagman says coaches talking about recruits when the are at speaking engagements let’s all know who the board is.

6. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Its possible that Dan is a difficult boss.

7. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Just to clarify something here, and I speak from seeing this stuff go on first-hand too... its hard to say every program is clean, but if it happens a lot of it is unorganized infractions on a small small scale.

Its usually the bigger, organized rings of boosters who get caught, not the smaller isolated cases.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Things change

Sometimes it takes longer than little dogs can hold their water

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

I have a family member who is a coach, and he said that is Mullen's reputation - the kids seem to love him, but he didn't treat his coaches very well. This was right around the time he was hired, and the coach I referenced was also never on Mullen's staff, so take it fwiw.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It takes special relationships to work together. If Mullen maybe is the type to get in someone’s ass, as long as it isn’t coming from the wrong place and he is only demanding of his coaches, they may have respect for each other. Some people can’t take the heat and some perform better that way. It’s hard to say that just because a guy is hard on his coaches( if that’s the case) , that it’s a bad thing. There are many great coaches that have many different styles. Doesn’t mean when they have a beer after work that they don’t get along well just because there are heated words while at work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. locomotion

locomotion Freshman

Oct 23, 2018
    On the other hand, Saban is renowned for his interpersonal skills and warm demeanor

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan Senior

Mar 17, 2019
    Comparing UF to UGA in terms of academics and prestige, I believe UF is rated higher. Fun factor - Maybe I'm bias, but there are a lot more fun things to do or places to go in Florida than in Georgia. Team success- UF had more success in sports than UG in the past 40 years. There is something that CDM is lacking that Kirby has at his disposal. I just can't quite put my finger in it.

13. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    T. Smith commits to Bama. Sigh...

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Just making sure they hit their goal of 10 defensive lineman

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Losing Smith sucks.
    Tough recruiting this cycle with Bama, UGA, LSU, Clemson.

16. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Smith has been clear that he wanted to be out of state. Once Clemson filled up, he was between UGA and Bama.

But yeah we need to show we can consistently beat LSU and UGA without excuses (so LSU and UGA need to be healthy) with less consensus talent.

17. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    He was never going to come to UF man. It was Bama he wanted after Clemson didn't want him and Bama only taking him because they missed out on Jaquelin Roy.

18. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Well onward and upward as they say Bobby. Still hoping we get another body or two on the defensive line.

19. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Give me m'ba, much smarter player.....

• Like Like x 1
  20. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    All the talent wants to go to the next level so waiting your turn doesn’t pay

Bama is now losing juniors who don’t give a rats ass about titles where before the senior leaders wanted both titles and draft position

Georgia will also as gotta play to get paid