Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tid Bits

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jun 30, 2018.

1. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    The Gators haven't been able to recruit players from California and Texas (to a point) it will be better for Mullen to stay away from those areas (at least for now) and concentrate more in Florida (specially South Florida) and Georgia more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with your premise but i dont follow where its coming from. Sorrells is a florida kid.

3. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    Well, i wasn't just talking about Sorell.

4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree. It's when you are on top and popular school you pull players from the other coast at will. Even the top schools target certain players- pick and choose, cherry pick, etc. Bama pulls the occasional top OL or QB from Cali. Pete Carrol pulled Nelson Agholar to USC back in the day and a few schools cherry pick Florida because they currently have the pull from success or have the coach that can do it.

You can spin your wheels then cry "we died trying" but that won't save you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Gotcha. Thanks

6. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree. Good post. But ill add that Pete Carroll got several kids from florida that i wouldve loved for UF to get. Algholor, Mike Williams, keith rivers, nickell robey, jawanza starling, leonard williams...and even after carroll USC got Buck Allen, quinton powell, leon mcquay, claude pelon...and possibly more. Thats quite a few.

What california kids have we gotten? Ron powell, josh portis, josh shaw, (not sure if id consider) travon van, edwin herbert...not nearly the talent USC stole from florida. (I cant think of any others and not in the mood to search for more)

• Like Like x 1
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We had a hall of fame coach when Ron Powell committed and I believe Hebert was a JUCO so that changes the recruiting mentality. If one has already been the JUCO route even if not from the Southeast an environment like UF should be a nice place to land. Anyway, it's not clear the staff is spending too much time in California so hopefully those of us that would warn against it are worrying over nothing.

8. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Of course the extracurricular activites in Los Angeles are tad bit more extensive than in Gainesville, FL. :rolleyes: I'm kinda shocked anytime an LA kid comes to UF. A Florida kid going to LA not so much. Even though I hated LA when I lived there, I could see the appeal of it to certain types. Especially when they're treated like kings and not a schmuck like I was. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Ding ding ding!!

Only gotta travel a couple of hours at most to get all the talent needed.

10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Spend more time on the Florida kids. Might not lose so many if ya aren't in Cali. Pretty time consuming.

11. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, i got that part. He quoted a post of mine referring to Jacquez Sorrells...whom happens to be a Florida kid. I was curious how he tied Cali into my post re: Sorrells. He cleared it up for me.

12. zman-1

zman-1 Senior

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    It was actually Lane Kiffy that lured Nelson Agholar back in 2012, but your point remains valid.

13. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I've heard that JS would like to stay in state but will leave if none of the big 3 show more interest. He has not been linked to UF since his de-commit as the coaching change apparently soured him on UF. My gut tells me he will not go across the country. I believe he will stay in state or in the region if he can. He had a good showing at the opening and I do not know why he doesn't have more interest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Recently he said South Carolina is his favorite.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I lived in San Diego for a decade when I was younger. I’m from pcola and can relate to both. I agree that it’s easier to get a southern kid to go to SoCal and it’s not so much football. Culture shock is real. “ they aren’t stupid, that’s just how they talk.” We notice thick accents from people who are more southern sounding than we may be but to a SoCal kid, we all sound like rednecks.”fixing to” they don’t even understand what your saying.

16. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The reality is that we hired coaches and assistant director of recruiting ops types with connectivity to California. Only Coach Scott has strong ties to Florida HS coaches. The other coaches are establishing relationships with these schools and kids now. Mullen, Hevesy and Billy G left UF a long time ago and while they understand the landscape, FL was not their primary recruiting ground. A positive is that Mullen staff knows system and know each other well. Should translate on the field. The negative is that they are not the best recruiters and need time to learn State HS coaches, parents and families I’m confident they will do so, but only 8 months in

• Like Like x 2
  17. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If someone doesn't want to be a Gator that's OK with me...can't get them all!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    In all recruiting, just like in Real Estate, there are 3 things that Count far above Everything else:

Location! Location! & Reputation!

19. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    Even WR Elijah Higgins who the Gators are the crystal ball leaders is originally from Florida.

20. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mr. Pickering will apparently attend FNL.

• Like Like x 1