Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thunder Blazers

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Allanon, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    This game two is a great playoff game. Tied at the half. Great intensity from both teams.

2. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    OKC is just a poor shooting team. Two games in a row shooting under 20% from 3. Not winning playoff games that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    They built their roster that way. It makes no sense. They have 2-3 guys who could win a dunk contest, 2-3 guys looking for AARP membership soon, 2 stars, some solid bigs and no shooters on their team. They weren't built to win in the West, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Losing Robertson hurt, and Abrines. Also PG13 was hitting his 3s until the injury to his shoulder. They have to win with defense, but can't overcome such bad 3pt shooting.

5. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    True, the injuries have hurt them. They need to make some moves this off-season to improve though.

6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hate to say this....but Paul George is hurting OKC.

7. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    So frustrating. I don't know who's hurting the team more - PG or Westbrook. PG is at least injured, whereas Westbrook - whether he's making his shots or not - just continues to shoot rather than set up his teammates for the best shot available. He gets frustrated and wants to power through, rather than use his head. He led the league in assists, so he's obviously capable. Just needs to know when to stop chucking.

Hopefully Lillard and McCollum don't shoot as well in OKC or the series will be over soon. Good thing Billy is so tight with Presti or he'd be fired after another 1st round exit, regardless if this is his fault or not. The fans aren't happy, but a 2-man team will almost always lose to a great 5-man roster (especially when those 2 aren't playing well). Westbrook needs to understand this and right the ship, get others involved. Oh yes, and PLAY SOME FREAKING D.

8. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I think I saw where the Thunder has picked up Billy’s option for next season. However, if they lose in the first round again this year I’m not sure what would save his job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    He has to find a balance, but they don't have a lot of weapons. They have to play good D and he and PG have to get 30 a piece each night for them to win in the playoffs. And PG is hurt, so they're really screwed.

Russ is 1/10 from 3, but he's still shooting than better than some of his teammates. That's crazy. Grant and Schroeder are 0 for 16 from 3 in 2 games this series. So neither of your PG's can shoot.

You're playing a stretch 4 (Grant), who can't stretch, lol. So they added the Morris twin from my Wizards, but he's not much help. They really need to fix their roster this off-season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Well, we move now to game 4 with the thunder down two games to one. 2 1/2 minutes into the game and Billy has already gotten a technical. Can’t say I blame him as Adams was hammered by two different people with no foul call.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019 at 10:26 PM
  11. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    This is some bad basketball right now. All kind of ugly shots, turnovers, offensive fouls.

And in the 2nd half the Thunder are getting smacked around. Going to get bounced in round 1 again. Ouch.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019 at 11:10 PM
  12. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    If they get bounced in the first round again I’m afraid Billy may be in big trouble.

13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I honestly think he might have to make the conference finals to keep his job.
    He was blamed for last year and Presti didn’t publicly defend him, but brought him back. It was implicit that where they were wasn’t acceptable, and they have a better team this year on paper and were expected to do more.
    Don’t think he survives this offseason with the way things are going, but someone else will pick him up if he wants it.

14. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Lillard with three back-to-back-to-back 28-foot 3-pointers at the end of the 1st half killed us. From up 7 to down 19 in a matter of minutes. When Lillard is shooting like that from that distance, I don't know who's supposed to stop him. Russ needs to stop chucking when his shot isn't falling. PG still bothered by the shoulder, so the role players need to really step it up in Portland if they're going to get back to OKC for game 6.

15. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I think he's fine for next year. Presti likes him too much, and the team hasn't been the same since PG's injury. They need to add a couple pieces in the offseason and they'll be fine. But if he doesn't get out of the 1st round next season Presti may not be able to keep him, even if it's not really Billy's fault.

16. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Lillard and McCollum both came up big last night. They made big-time, momentum-altering shots all night. If those 2 guys come anywhere close to break-even with PG/Russ, it's just not a contest. They have more than held their own this series. I hate this matchup in rd 1 as I'm pulling for OKC for the obvious reasons, but I really like this Portland team and will be happy for them if they get this playoff monkey off their back. It's unfortunately coming at OKC's expense.

Lillard's still underrated in this league, despite being a perennial All-star. His temperament is much better than Westbrook's, who seems to take their matchup personally, perhaps even to the detriment of his team.

17. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Agreed. Westbrook is as competitive as they come, but his intensity often gets the better of him, especially when they're losing or his shot isn't falling. He bulldozes his way, which works in sports like football but not so much in basketball.

18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Westbrook will never win a title the way he currently plays, he gets triple doubles all day but doesn’t know how to truly make a team better. His triple doubles are based on volume, not quality. And his defense isn’t great. Way overrated as a player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    Disagree some here, he's definitely a top 10 player imo. Not sure he should be the #1 scoring option and he's not if PG is healthy, but if OKC added some shooting help that team would be so much better. And he and PG would be even more efficient. But he's got to play better. This is a bad series for him.

But the front office has to help he and PG out. I can't believe a team in the Western Conference is relying on a lineup with Ray Felton and M. Morris on the floor together in a game 4 of a series. That was like my Wizards last year when they had Ty Lawson and Morris playing key minutes versus the Raptors. Just a bad lineup.

20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don’t disagree with some of that, but he always monopolizes play. His numbers are largely volume based. He’s a 43 percent shooter and 29% from three this year. If he got another shooter, would he really give the ball up more? Guess it would be an interesting experiment.