Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Three people killed in a shooting at New Orleans gun store

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Feb 21, 2021.

1. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    You have a right to fight for change. I’ll fight to keep it.

Two guys tried to carjack my wife in broad daylight. When she pulled her gun from her purse and showed it to the guy trying to pry her door open, he ran away to the car where his buddy was waiting and they left.

She was only 19 at the time. We had been married about a year.

What did they want with a light blue Volkswagen? That’s not a car that’s usually stolen to joy ride in. They wanted my wife. My wife was drop dead gorgeous at age 19. Still is to me at age 67. She’s my best friend and you will barely ever see us apart. I can’t imagine what my life would have been without her.

Gins are personal to me. I was also a LEO as a deputy sheriff, city patrolman, and fire arson investigator. I’ve seen a lot of crime over my 29 year 10 month career and that includes murders with guns.

My opinion from my experience as a LEO is everyone should own a gun if they are competent and take the proper safety courses.

• Winner x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Provides nothing to the overall situation. You see, guns are far too available. It is a fact. One would not have to defend themselves from guns...if guns were limited. Too simple? Of course. It's the American way. I believe that guns should be controlled and will always know that all the deaths and injuries, all the police build up, all the police manning, would be limited if we just cared about ourselves. More guns haven't made life better, ever, they just go on and on with the deaths and injuries. Oblivious to change is what makes change impossible. I will go to my grave knowing that all it takes is for people to stop the squirrel cage of gun production and in years to come gun violence will decrease. We don't need more police...we need less guns.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  3. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Less guns will not stop the bad guys from getting them. I wish it were that simple.

They are available and always will be no matter the limits. I wish that were different.

I’ll go to my grave fighting for the right of every competent and properly trained US citizen to own however many guns they want.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    And I will go to my grave fighting for the reduction of guns gradually and smartly and I really don't care if anyone is trained as the brain simply cannot comprehend that part when angered. Nothing against you as you know, difference of opinion and goals, but know that none of us should trust any of us according to the reasons for owning a gun. I don't trust gun owners or gun holders to have my best interest nor my families. No disrespect.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. A100

A100 Sophomore

Oct 8, 2011
    Looks like we have a tie.

That is what happened in the gun store. Now both rightness gun owners will soon be in their graves.

6. helix

helix VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Because controlling things worked out so well with prohibition or is still working out so well with the war on drugs? Even on Abortion, we're told limiting or controlling access won't reduce the numbers of abortions but will just make criminals out of women.

Fact is, guns exist. That Pandora's box is open. As long as they exist, people who are determined to get them will find ways to get access to them. Limiting access will not impact those determined to not follow laws, only the law abiding. The biggest causes of gun violence are not gun ownership or availability, but poverty, gangs, and domestic violence.

FWIW, more guns out there actually HAS made lives better. The numbers are never widely publicized but if you actually look at the statistics surrounding gun homicides versus defensive gun use from the CDC, Americans use their guns defensively somewhere between 500k and 3 million times each year. Compare that with just shy of 14k gun homicides in 2018. Defensive Gun Uses in the U.S.

How is a 5 foot nothing female supposed to defend herself from a large male attacker with a knife, tire iron, etc? How is an elderly home owner supposed to defend their home from a home invader? Guns level the playing field.

How, again, have guns not made things better?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. helix

helix VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You shouldn't. Nor should you trust law enforcement to have your best interest in mind. The only people that actually can and will look out for you and your family are you and your family. Fundamentally, gun owners believe in personal responsibility and that is why they are gun owners.

Also what does anger have to do with gun ownership and training? Nobody trains to use a gun while angry. People train to use a gun while under stress because their life is in danger. No competent gun owner will EVER tell you to go pick up a gun while angry (unless that anger is a fight or flight reaction to someone attempting to take your life).

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    That is a pretty broad statement. People own guns for numerous reasons including self defense, they like shooting, they are collectors....

Some just have some weird fascination with guns that seems to propel them to buy more and more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. helix

helix VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fair enough. That said, I would maintain that most who carry on a daily basis and most who have some ability/willingness to use them defensively do so on some level because they have a belief in personal responsibility.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. thejman

thejman Freshman

Feb 21, 2021
    Only touched a gun one time. Not likely to happen again. I chose to live in a safe neighborhood (I did the research). My In-laws have 2 police trained German Shepherds who could tear an intruder to shreds. We call them the canine security system. They live on acreage in a somewhat remote location. Not exactly a target rich environment for a wannabe criminal.

11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    It’s really weird. I fully support the 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms. But seeing the Rambo-like gusto some people show when showing off their arsenal bragging about how they could wipe out a small army makes me roll my eyes.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Yeah, I don't get collecting stuff in general, certainly don't need 20 guns laying around.
    I do get a kick out of the Tacti-cool people buying a bunch of crap, prepping for end of the world carnage but many of these same people wouldn't live a week without their meds.

13. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Back to the original story, getting into a shootout at a gun store seems like a bad idea. Rarely do I see the guys behind the counter without a carry weapon and most of them are pretty proficient.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. helix

helix VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To some extent, it is like any hobby where as you get involved in it and better at it, you learn what you like and you learn what works for what purpose (i.e. rifles of different calibers, carry pistols of different sizes). There is also, to some extent, value in redundancy (the adage of '2 is 1, 1 is none') and ubiquity (i.e. owning widely available weapons and calibers). More budget is going to enable more specialization and redundancy. Others find value in historical significance, personal significance (heirlooms), cool factor, fun to shoot, etc. It's a pretty easy rabbit hole to go down if you have the resources, just like people who spend money on cars, whiskey, art, or any number of other things. Hell, my wife has an obsession with makeup that seems totally ridiculous to me.

Is it that surprising that people who spend significant amounts of money, effort, and time researching and curating a personal collection are enthusiastic about the things they have acquired?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have never heard anyone say something like that, even at the multiple machine gun shoots I’ve attended.

16. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I don't get collecting of any kind as I tend to be a minimalist. Generally, I have a zero sum household. If I get a couple of new shirts, a couple of old ones are getting donated or thrown out.
    If I get a new carry weapon, getting rid of the old one. Just inherited a couple of firearms, going to sell them.

People generally have too much crap.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I hate guns. I have never entered a gun shop.
    I know many who do and have and literally none of them are as you describe.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. tilly

I mean you realize there are multiple liberals here that own guns and go to ranges...right?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. tilly

I mean you realize we could crash this board with instances of armed citizens legally protecting their families right?
    NC boy, 12, fatally shoots home intruder who wounded grandmother

Again man. I hate guns and will never own one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tilly

Nice deflection. Should his wife have the right to protect herself from clear physical harm or not? Are you ok with her being collateral damage for your side of the argument. I mean this stuff happens all the time.

• Winner Winner x 1