Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thoughts on Our Current 2020 Class?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Nicho, Jun 2, 2019.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree. Right now, from what's being relayed to us, it looks like we're in the mix for:

Lee
    Toafili
    Adams
    EJ
    Jordon Simmons (heard he's more UGA)

2. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Ha! Ha! Ha! I thought I was the only one. I took ESL in the community college.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    filamg;

If memory serves, the stipend money each University offers is calculated by determining how much it costs for a student/athlete to not only attend your school, but also for travel expenses (like driving or flying home for holidays and end of the semester). Because our normal signing class comes mostly from Florida our stipend is going to be less than places like Alabama, Auburn or Tennessee, which have to recruit on a more national basis since the number of D1 athletes are less in their states than ours.
    HOWEVER, I do remember the first year the stipend program started. Each SEC team was asked to submit their calculations to SEC headquarters. Auburn's came in at $6,000+ and Alabama's was in the $4,000 range. The next day, the Alabama Athletic Department notified the SEC office that they had made a mistake in their calculation and asked if they could "resubmit" their number. When they did, somehow, someway the new number was around $100 less than Auburn's. Go figure.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    EJ looks to be Stanford's to lose.

5. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Auburn cheats and so does Bama. (I kid) Anyway, are you saying each player gets different stipend money? An out of state player gets more money than instate player? Doesn't seem fair. If you go to an out of town school, it's pretty much expected that you will not be able to come home every month/week or on holidays, unless you came from a rich family. That's why most kids stay closer to home.

6. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mincey was a nice get, but now we lose Joel Williams and Braun commits to UGA. I'm still pretty ambivalent about the state of our recruiting right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I wonder if this has any reasoning into us recruiting California?

8. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    filamg;

Good question, my bad. I did not explain that as well as I thought I did. Each school makes an estimate of the total cost of an average recruiting class and then divides that number by say a 25 member class. Therefore, in theory, the further away your student/athletes live from your campus the higher your average stipend per athlete would be. I hope that is a better way to explain it.

9. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    GameTime;

I don't think so. Foley was our Athletic Director at the time and he was pretty much "by the book" with everything we did. I am guessing our number(s) were legit.

10. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Does not sound fair to Florida, Georgia, and Louisiana who can mostly stay in state to fill their rosters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Briang8r

Briang8r All American

Dec 5, 2011
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Something seems off. We don't seem to be winning a lot of these battles for in state kids we thought for sure we would get. Our 3 most current commits are the 3 lowest ranked in this class. Even the dumpster fire at fsu has a higher blue chip percentage and avg. recruit ranking than we do. I've read elsewhere that our off-field recruiting staff is lacking compared to our competition. Perhaps addressing that and getting 1-2 dynamic recruiters on staff is all we need? Facilities improvements are obviously on the way. Who knows.

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m telling you that we need twin turbos on those new scooters.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    While we are clearly a 3rd tier recruiting team right now...but FSU is behind us stars be damned. Heversy, uniquely among the staff, gets a pass in that he has a very high hit rate with "diamonds in the rough" types on the OL. Odom is also severely underrated (should be a high end 3star based on off offer list, but is a blocking TE first which isn't what services look for).

We do need some dynamic recruiters on staff, and I was honestly surprised Mullen didn't go that way with either of this openings this offseason (not that Turner or Gray are particularly weak recruiters for this staff, but very average from a top school perspective). We need to have better offseasons to further raise expectations (and probability) of success.

14. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Just curious, who do you consider 2nd tier? We are holding in the top ten so I'm genuinely curious because it must be a select few

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Wasn't it Gray who basically recruited our secondary?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Much of this turns me off on being a college football fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Briang8r

Briang8r All American

Dec 5, 2011
    St. Petersburg, FL
    We are not long for the top 10 if this keeps up. We are adding a steady diet of mid-3 star kids, while missing out on our top targets like Braun and Bowman. We just had a 4 star decommit, and there are other pledges that are questionable from our higher ranked kids( will Manuel make it in, Fraziars is taking visits, etc.). There's just not a lot of momentum right now despite coming off of a great season. Maybe the whole Steele thing had a bigger impact than we thought it would? I hope we turn it around soon, but we'll see what happens.

18. 1975Gator

1975Gator Senior

Jan 5, 2012
    The stipend goes across all student athletes from what I understand. It also affects how ALL students can receive financial aid not just athletes so raising the stipend can negatively affect the University. The high ups at the university have to be willing to accept that. There are tons of article written on the subject. I suggest that Google is your friend if you want to know how it works. The data given here so far is pretty wrong.

• Informative Informative x 3
  19. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    And where were we last year at this time? Granted that class lost some of its luster for now (lets see if black ever sets foot on campus) but I am again waiting for the season and subsequent class before making any indictments one way or the other. I do feel like our recruiting will depend on our performance this season moreso than other programs

20. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    This year Clemson is in a class by themselves.

But in a typical year, there are 1 or 2 teams that just get hot and load up on top 50 talent and end up with ~5 5-stars each and about 1/3rd of thier class in the top 50. Those would be tier 1. Next you have a group that is clearly behind but still recruiting at an elite level, they end up with about 1/3rd of the class in the top 100, and a 2 out of 3 blue chip ratio.

He should get a lot of credit for Marco and CJ, but he wasn't the area recruiter for South Florida (Shannon got most of it, while Gray had Lakeland). Both are great CBs and with good years CJ could be a 1st rounder this year, and Marco would be too if he didn't have the injury concerns. And ultimately that's what matters. But back in 2017 those two were in the 100-200 range and not the top of our boards (that would have been Shawn Wade).

The point I was trying to make is that both Turner and Gray were hired for their coaching abilities, and not for their ability to get top-100 talent to sign for the good guys. Gray is arguably the best secondary coach in the country, and Turner is an excellent coach as well so both make sense...I had just convinced myself that Mullen would tweak his staff to focus a little more on recruiting, so I was surprised that Mullen went in a different direction both times.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1