Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thoughts on Our Current 2020 Class?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Nicho, Jun 2, 2019.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Sadly, you may not be far off.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    I tend to agree with your statement above. However with our new stand-alone football facility and all the other facilities that are being upgraded, the University of Florida is going to show out in a very dramatic way.
    Yes, obsolescence is always a factor. But with these major upgrades and the fact that we have the best recruiting grounds in the nation, we should be all set to go.
    Recruiting is all about percentages. It's never black and white.
    And with the new stand-alone facility combined with the fantastic seasons coming up... our percentages of successful will greatly go up.
    We have nothing but Orange & Blue Sky to look at.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Totally agree. The playing field will never be level for obvious reasons. But Stricklin and Mullen will put us in position to win big again, even with all of UF's disadvantages.

And once all the facility improvements are made, it will greatly help recruiting. Same goes for putting FSU and UGA back in their rightful place.

I think this is our year to beat UGA and reclaim our spot atop the East.

• Like Like x 1
  4. devincdoss

devincdoss Freshman

Aug 9, 2017
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I'm sure 10 years ago a few of those schools were thinking the same about UF

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    What are the obvious reasons?

• Like Like x 1
  6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    For one, the stipend calculation at UF is about half of many other Universities. For kids from poor backgrounds, that is a big deal

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 1975Gator

1975Gator Senior

Jan 5, 2012
    I get tired off hearing what people did 10 or more years ago. The landscape has changed drastically in 10 years. All those things mentioned either didn't exist or were a much less magnitude when Meyer was here. It matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    That was a different era, and the times have changed drastically.

As long as UF isn't willing to blatantly cheat and allow rogue boosters to run wild, drastically lower their academic standards and also cheat academically, and not be able to offer stipends at the top end of the scale, then we are never going to dominate like BAMA and Clemson.

You could bring in Saban or Dabo (or Spurrier or Meyer) tomorrow, and we aren't going to continually dominate unless you do the three things I mentioned above.

Ohio State has zero recruiting competition in state. And they basically only have to compete with PSU, ND, and UM regionally.

And PSU, ND, and UM haven't done squat in a long time. So OSU enjoys a massive recruiting advantage over us.

Same applies to LSU. They have absolutely zero recruiting competition in state (it's a joke actually) and usually dominate regionally. And nobody in the state of AR, TX, or MS has won a national championship in a long time.

Hopefully Jimbo and A&M will start to eat away at the massive advantage LSU has enjoyed for a long time.

Clemson dominates in state. Same with BAMA. And both take their pick of the best players nationwide and the rest of us fight over the scraps.

Oklahoma has it a bit tougher when it comes to recruiting. But they still enjoy various advantages over us.

Even when Miami and FSU suck, they still get great talent. And then we have to compete with the rest of the SEC, OSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, and all the rest when it comes to signing the best players in FL.

It is what it is. Love Mullen or dislike him, there is no other coach that is going to come to UF and do any better under the current landscape (a very unlevel and unfair playing field).

I'd rather UF take the high road when it comes to academics, recruiting, and playing fairly.

We learned a very valuable lesson with Pell/Hall in the mid to late 80's. If we even remotely tried to get away with some of the stuff that FSU and most of the Top 10 P5 schools do, we would get squashed by the SEC, NCAA, and the MSM.

I'm not a greedy ungrateful bastard. I'll take those three bronze trophies in front of the stadium, and all the trophies inside the stadium as well. Anything else is just gravy.

If anyone expects us to be just like Clemson and BAMA, you have a short memory or weren't old enough to remember the SEC and NCAA hammers dropping on us in the 80's.

I'd rather win the right way than win at all costs. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I CLEARLY mentioned Muschamp having the Gators up there in recruiting and also CLEARLY mentioned that yes times have changed but that doesn't mean that's the norm going forward.

The way y'all talk, Clemson has been recruiting on a historic level the last 5 years when they hasn't even been the case.

Winning brings talent. It's really THAT cut and dry

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 1975Gator

1975Gator Senior

Jan 5, 2012
    I've never said that. I'm talking recent spending in recruiting the last 5 years vs spending 10 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    It's less, but not by half. According to UF's website the cost of living estimate is $4,610. By comparison UGA's is $5,056 and Alabama's is $5,670. I just did in-state since UF doesn't break out the full estimated cost of attendance for out of state students.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    fair enough. pony up!!

13. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Disagree. Winning can open doors but it doesnt get kids to sign.

But to discuss your point, what do you consider winning?

14. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan All American

Mar 17, 2019
    Muschamp's recruiting is eschewed a bit. Sure he gets highly ranked DBs and DLs. But, he doesn't get enough OLs or really good receivers for the O team to compete.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I think Cox was our +1. We have Powell aboard so unless he decommits, the position probably does not look as attractive for playing time as it did before Cox transferring to UF. I don't expect us to sign another OLB/WDE type unless it is Z. Walker.

16. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Meyer only outrecruited Saban one of three years. If Urbs couldn't do it consistently we aren't going to hire someone who can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    those two years Bama signed TEN more players in each of those classes and in the year that Meyer signed more than Saban, Meyer only signed 3 more players than Saban

18. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    consistently winning 10 or more games with a few 9 win rebuilding seasons sprinkled in. Basically, what Richt did at UGA

19. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Well, Saban had a higher average per recruit in 2008 while having to recruit more kids and not far behind in average in 2009 while having to pull in a lot more recruits. It is not easy to pull in ten more recruits while keeping the average up. Saban was priming the machine back then as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I could give you an answer, but you won’t like it. And you could probably guess what I’d say. Lol

Oh, and I almost forgot?!!??!!???!!!???!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1