Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thoughts on Our Current 2020 Class?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Nicho, Jun 2, 2019.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And on this thread I’m reading justifications. Why the rationalizations? Of course our HC cares about recruiting but the ones they want keep going elsewhere. If not for that our class would be full and very few three stars.

I really hope fsu and miami have poor seasons because our staff needs the help. We can not afford to go south and that crap show fsu look like it’s heading North.

Recruiting is going reasonably well I realize but something’s not up to par with the way other staff’s get the job done and it’s not that “Mullen does it the right way” whatever that means.

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    When you offer a couple hundred kids, most will be misses. I like the guys we have so far and there aren’t that many spots left. We aren’t privy to the why for the kids decisions for the most part. We don’t how who the real takes are nor which kids we are holding spots for. Take rb for instance, do we really know what’s going on behind the scenes? How will we feel once these last 8-10 kids commit?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gotta admit though, the certainty with which the recruitnick 'constructive criticizers' toss out blind assumptions as fact is impressive. Many possible variables and outcomes, most all of which we can't know as fans.

Program trending up or trending down. That's all that matters in the second year of a coaching tenure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nothing wrong with staying optimistic and hopefully holding spots for some real gems. Maybe need one more good season for credibility. We deserve to close strong and hopefully that happens after another promising if not great season.
    I don't think there's any mystery around RB recruiting. The ones we want that aren't committed are being told UF will have no offensive line for at least two more seasons and they believe it. They don't believe they will be featured RBs in Mullen's system, "what famous RB has come from a Dan Mullen coached team?" they are asked. I don't think recruiting is as complicated as we want to believe. We like to say "Dan does it the right way", "Dan sells UF and all its finer points" but even that is conjecture. What the hell is Kirby telling kids then? I think perception is reality, ie "Kirby is a championship coach" and "Dan Mullen has never won a championship". Weird.

Recruiting often makes no sense. I would think fsu couldn't land a RB because of their OL performance and the abysmal class they have committed. So odd.

Maybe the stipend thing is a bigger deal than we realize?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think that may be the simple fact for a chunk of kids. If you can get PT and a path to The League, an extra $200 a month sounds significant (especially if you don't come in with any real allegiances from the start). I'm sure that angle is pimped hard by the schools rigging their numbers.

Hurts worse when the facilities are still in catch-up mode too.

6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Right if we were to finish with say

Dumervil
    Gray
    Henderson
    Poitier
    Z Walker
    Smith
    M'Ba
    Jahquez Robinson

I don't want to hear any complaining.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    All. Day. Long.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    When other schools are getting pledges, even some when they get them in bunches, and we aren't getting any, the staff is the worst and we need a recruiting overhaul.

When our staff is getting pledges in bunches then it's "the logo still holds wait" and "see, we're getting people who the staff really want and players who wants to be here" etc etc.

Never a dull moment with fellow Gator fans during the recruiting highs and lows

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I agree. All I know is CDM is a serious upgrade and while some things I think need tweaking, his staff is as well. The players and the majority of fans see progress. It’s a process. After a decade of stagnation, it’s a welcome change. Recruits see the passion and the intensity. They see the results of player development.

Good things coming. Good things.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    You can't always get what you want
    You can't always get what you want
    But if you try some times
    You just might find
    You get what you need...
    GO GATORS!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Someday we will win the off season with 5 stars raining from on high and with all of our players being short listed for saint hood. Our opponents would be singing our praises and washing our feet. Only then will Gator fans truly be happy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Would you give DM the same amount of time Clemson gave Dabo to win his first championship?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think we missed, I don't think we pushed. Can't say it's good or bad just what it is.

14. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Absolutely,if he's getting results like Dabo's did from 2011-2015 in this conference.

Clemson didn't have to be patient for years on end, they just didn't do anything knee-jerk stupid in the first 3 years.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    As long as he doesn’t peddle PB&J sandwiches on the sideline or hump the aquatic life, I’ll give him all the time he needs. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    200/month is a lot in 4 years (for 4 year players)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    With regards to building or having credibility and the “no offensive line”, I’d ask you how FSU is recruiting so well? Horrible season last year and the worst offensive line of any power 5 conference team?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I only got one negative remark? Oh my

19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Bet our line is way better

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Good to know. Those of us not close to the action can’t always tell how hard we’re pushing for certain kids.