Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thoughts on Our Current 2020 Class?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Nicho, Jun 2, 2019.

1. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    SOS didn't give off that vibe, but he ran a very solid recruiting program. The other coaches didnt really win that much, at least not compared to UF standards.

2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    which is why they probably never won titles lol.

3. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Core strategic philosophy at work.

Guys that know they'll out-scheme you, and out-think you, and out-adjust you, or make better decisions than you on the fly, seem to worry more about using what they have the way they want. Relatively few head coaches like that. Recruit A is a perfect fit, but if he doesn't come, here's a different way I can be effective with Recruit B, C, or D.

Guys that need to over-plan to be comfortable, script series, and meticulously chart all opponent possibilities before kick-off, seem to want to out talent their opponents as the foundation of success. The majority of HCs. Kid A is a perfect fit, so we we need to get him to be prepared to win.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Worth repeating on Mullen's recruiting:
    Mullen may not be a car salesman with a sliver tongue, but he is an expert at knowing his product. He sells the University of Florida, with its academics, all sport reputation for high level athletics, football, great training and coaching, team as family, graduation and the ensuing networking potential for graduates.

Some kids are not going to be interested. Period.
    But, a heck of a lot of parents are, and so will high character kids.

Rather his way than Kirby's.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan All American

Mar 17, 2019
    It doesn't.

6. devincdoss

devincdoss Freshman

Aug 9, 2017
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Any news on Damien Alford? Saw on Twitter he officially reclassified to 2020 from 2021. Several people said he was the best receiver at FNL. Wonder if we snag him?

• Like Like x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea I just gave my opinion of him in the 2020 WR class thread:

"I would take a class of Manuel, Fraziors, Zxavier, Smith, and Poitier and call it a class. If any of those don't pan out, definitely would take Damien Alford as a replacement."

8. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I know a lot goes into recruiting but we do have to get the program back to the point where our name stands out as a leader just off name alone if you see a recruit drop a top five list of say UF, Syracuse, Lousiville, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma State.

In years past, if you saw a top 5 like that, off the strength you'd say "well we got this in the bag" but now it seems like we have to fight these recruiting battles more often than not. Gotta change that so that when UF comes calling, it's going to be awfully hard to say no.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. melrose12

melrose12 Senior

Jun 25, 2019
    Beat Geo make it to title game, beat Bama, win two more games, that will make it hard to say no to the Gators.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The stand alone football facility will make a huge difference. Kids visiting are not very impressed. Go look at LSU, Bama and Clemson’s facilities in comparison to ours. You will see the dramatic differences immediately. By comparison, we currently live in trailers on the wrong side of the tracks. Two years from now we will have the ability to impress kids on visits. Can’t do anything about the $2000 plus per year difference in stipend payments to these players, but at least facilities will be comparable

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Right. I mean even as adults we love to be aesthetically pleased. Show up to a job for an interview and no matter how good the pay is, if it looks like a darn dungeon of a facility on the inside, you're interest in that job changes as oppose to another job that has top of the line stuff.

The stark contrast in how the locker room looks NOW as oppose to how it use to look does make me thankful for every player who signed to play here. Locker room looked like a jail compared to other schools smh

12. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I thought I read the stipend amounts came from school reports?

13. filamg8torfan

Mar 17, 2019
    I don't understand why UF can't afford the additional 2K stipend?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It has nothing to do with being able to afford it. It's based on the cost of living at each school.

Now... are other schools calculating their cost of living differently than we are? I would guess yes.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    That’s the simplest and most direct explanation ever. Should help a lot of folks that don’t understand the way that works. Thanks!

16. 1975Gator

1975Gator Senior

Jan 5, 2012
    It also affects all students financial aid not just athletes from what I understand

17. filamg8torfan

Mar 17, 2019
    I bet they do. They can skirt around rules to make their school more attractive to potential students, in this case football players. You can't honestly say that Alabama has a higher cost of living than Florida when Florida has a higher income per capita.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Ethan Pouncey commits to Texas

19. 1975Gator

1975Gator Senior

Jan 5, 2012
    It's not just football players.

20. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015