Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Thoughts on Our Current 2020 Class?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Nicho, Jun 2, 2019.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I do appreciate the recruits who have people in their corner who don't allow these kids to play that silly troll game. The way Wingo (if you haven't read the article I posted about his recruitment in his thread, check it out) parents went about his decommittment and flip to us was ALL class. Didn't allow him to drag it out or troll.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I certainly don't have the exact numbers of our total offers, or the number from California, or how many of them are "committable offers".....but no way are 10% from California. That's just not gonna ever be the case.
    And I consider seriously recruiting them to be home visits by the head man....that was a small number last year. There is no skin in the game sending kids mail, twitter blasts, texts from staffers.....all that stuff just gauges interest and keeps us in the game. You can and should cast a wide net in that regard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well that's my exact point. We don't just send an army out there drumming up interest. We efficiently use staffers to find potential recruits, gauge interest from both sides, and we narrowed down to a small handful we actually recruited seriously.
    And half this board would lose their mind if we didn't recruit elite kids all over. I can just her the comments about lazy recruiting and ignoring talent.
    West Coast shouldn't be a focus, and it is not a focus. As I continue to say over and over. You cherry pick elite talent that has interest in UF. That is exactly what UF has done in Cali and other areas outside our base of Fl/Ga/Ala.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Dabo kicked Satans ass with an avg class of 13.5 the first time. Player evaluation, very good and stable coaching staff and maybe a little luck. Very stable staff for sure unlike Satan so maybe there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Dabo won with with supposed inferior talent if you believe the desk jockeys or maybe his staff are just better coaches as they’ve worked together a long time. Either way, that staff that recruited in the midteens is now recruiting lights out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And Dabo has kicked his ass 2 out of the last three times and only now is Dabo recruiting the kind of classes that Bama has all along. Maybe Dabo will crush him with equal classes. Sure seems to me x’s and o’s Coaching and development is in the favor of Dabo. Satan can outtalent other programs but I don’t really see the genius in his coaching. Sure he runs a great program and a tight ship but with a decade of #1 classes he should win championships. I look forward to Dabo proving who the better coach is when all things are equal and Mullen getting his shot and proving he can coach with any of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I agree , it doesn’t take much time to throw out a few texts to gauge interest. Sending a coach on a two day trip for a highly sought after recruit that shows interest and making a few other stops while while your there makes sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Except that didnt happen when saying "Dabo kicked Saban's ass". That's a bit of an overreaction. They won on the second to last play of the game when they beat Bama in 2016.....

The difference between Clemson vs Bama in 2017 and Clemson vs Bama this past season is having Lawrence over Kelly Bryant.

8. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Sophomore

Aug 21, 2009
    Florida
    I didn't know Trevor Lawrence played defense

Because it looked to me like Clemson dominated defensively allowing more scoring opportunities for a good offense, played Bama ball

• Like Like x 2
  9. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Yes, my thoughts exactly. Saban is the type that HAS to out-talent you as he will NOT really out-couch you. And you're right with all things being equal how bad would Dabo curb stomp Saban?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Oh no doubt half our our 3* would be a 4, and half the 4* would be 5's.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Oh, just a qb and the other 85 guys and the coach don’t count? He beat him with lesser talent and curb stomped him with closer talent

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is what I think too. It happens every year, but for the better lately. I expect this to be the case again... upgrade.

13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Luck comes into play as well. Clemson had 3 first round draft choices on the DL come back and play their final year. They gave up millions and a year toward second highest paying contract for a chance to play another year at Clemson. Most families need money and can’t make that sacrifice.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Or deshawn Watson, not sure Lawrence is the better qb.

15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    They had the same team in 2017 than they did in 2018.....what was the noticable difference with those Clemson teams? Why did they go from scoring 6 in 2017 against Bama to scoring 44 the next year?

16. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Then look at fsu...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    More than one trip to Cali last year by our coaches.

Who have we cherry picked from Cali?

Half the board losing their mind about not recruiting ( half wouldn’t btw) Cali is not anyone’s concern. Winning games is the focus.

We as fans don’t know half of what Mullen knows. He’s forgot more than most of us will ever know.

Florida
    Georgia
    Louisiana
    Carolinas
    Bama
    Sometimes Bama
    Sometimes Texas
    Live in these states recruiting wise and you win.

18. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Who are the quality recruiters at fsu?

The point is you need both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    What's your first point, that 5* kids are bad for a program?

I think there is a difference between complaining and being honest and realistic. This staff has also shown that they could lose to the likes of Mizzou and UK, and that 3* DBs might not always hold up against the likes of uga.

Are you putting fenley in the elite category? I hope you are right. The return game is much less a part of today's game, and will continue to lessen imo.

20. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    IMO, UF has both. You are what your record says you are and CDM had a better first year record than Saban at Bama or Dabo at Clemson. I believe UF’s ‘20 class is currently #5 on one site and 6 on another. This staff has also proven it can develop the talent on the roster which has been missing for the recent past. Let’s see how the ‘19 season plays out. With a break here or there even playing Auburn and LSU from the West, ‘19 could be special.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1