Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thoughts on Our Current 2020 Class?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Nicho, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How are we feeling about our current class by position?

Personally, I'm confident in how OL, TE and DB will shake out. Our standing with Braun is definitely encouraging.

WR looks solid at the moment but I see rumblings about Manuel's academic standing.

At QB, Richardson seems like a good athlete, but our aggressive pursuit of Beck makes me wonder if we really think AR is the future.

I have concerns about RB and DL. We really need a true DT and there are no high-probability guys on the horizon from what I can tell.

Yeah it's June, but I was hoping to see more momentum on the trail following our 10 win season.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Need to beef up at DT and find a RB. Those are my only issues so far.

People gotta realize that not every recruit is going to commit before the start of their senior season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Been following SEC recruiting since 1980...back in those, "Gator Bait 900-Toll Call Days." Sheeez!
    Once the season starts and the Gators continue to not only win games BUT do so in the style and score that is very "Mullen-ness"....then the recruits will truly take notice!
    Last year, we really did not know what to fully expect. We knew we would be better but who in here predicted a 10-Win season???
    Annnnd...with CONVINCING wins over the Noles and the Wovies??...that same team that embarrassed us on more than one occasion?
    If all goes even normally well, our Gators will be gaining a LOT of traction come mid-October...
    And even some recruits that have bolted on us now will be back knockin' on our door...
    Very loudly.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. G8tas

G8tas Senior

Sep 22, 2008
    Seems to be a recurring theme as of late

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Right and that's not good. I don't want to overreact because it IS only June but once the top targets on your board commits elsewhere, it's an uphill battle finding quality replacements.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I am mystified with our safety recruiting. It is a given that Grantham's defense is going to pull two of the best guys who could be safeties to the star/nickle position, but that being known we haven't recruited enough in two cycles so we still only have two guys maybe that are athletic enough to play safety at a high level in the SEC. One would think that either we should have already recruited tall extra CB to grow into safeties or just recruited more high level safeties. We did neither. Florida is not a state that one of the top football programs should have a problem getting athletic safeties. That signals a real recruiting problem.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Didn't we recruit Dean as one but in the all star games he just played so well at CB that they just went along with it?

Outside of that, I agree with it. I wonder if Ron English would be the coach that we'll eventually replace/upgrade as like you said, the recruiting at the S position has been lacking as well as production.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Good thing committed doesn't really committed anymore to this new age of recruiting. Lost count how many committed guys drop a top 5 schools list and then announce their pick even though they are still "committed" the sheer number of decommittments we are seeing now is mind blowing.you see some guys signing after already previously being committed to 2 or 3 other schools.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    I bet you loved Dial-a-Score too with Larry V. I sure did. That man was hilarious on that show. He should be on the SEC Network instead of Finebaum. Larry had a brilliant sense of humor.

Sorry for the hijacked thread.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Like Like x 2
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Couldn't have said it better. Take Morven Joseph for example, how are you "committed" to UF, but dropping an "official visits" list? Like, seriously? I just wish more kids were in the mindset of being straight up with themselves during recruiting; take all your official and unoffical vists then commit and shut it down

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh yea... loved that show. And you are correct, Larry Vitale was always funny... even after a loss.
    And yea, like many of us, I go back to the "Otis Boggs Days."

Here's a cool factoid that I am very proud, yet embarrassed of:
    The summer before my senior year in high school, I had the chance to live up in Yon Hall with my brother, who also played at Florida. Somehow, he got in there for several weeks. (If anyone remembers, Yon Hall where all the student athletes lived and was actually in the East Stands at BHG.)
    Well, just about every Saturday morning (around 11:00 to 11:30 am) a lot of the Florida players would go downstairs from Yon Hall and walk out onto Florida Field and just toss the ball around in shorts and tennis shoes. (The players did not get out there too early because they had been partying the Friday night before, etc.) Also, most, if not all of the students had gone home for the summer... so the players had the field to themselves.
    My brother told me that there was a good chance that John Reaves and Carlos Alvarez would be out there as well, along with many of the other players.
    As one can guess, it was very cool, as a high school student to be out there with not only Reaves and Alvarez but also... Durrance, Rich and Willie Jackson, etc.
    And since I was playing tight end in high school... Jim Yancey was the guy I watched.
    Well, it came time to line up and catch some passes. Reaves was the quarterback and all the receivers and tight ends lined up to his right to run some routes. I was the only high school guy out there and naturally, the last one in line of about six guys. (Alvarez was actually in front of me.)
    My turn came up...there I was, ON Florida Field with Reaves as the quarterback. Everyone of his passes were as smooth as silk. He gave me the, "on 2" order and on, "hut, hut"... I took off and ran a skinny post down the middle of the field. Nerves were on hyper drive and as I made my cut toward the center of the field, I tripped over my size 14 feet and fell down on my face. I looked up and saw Reaves' perfectly thrown ball sail six feet over my head!
    My brother, who was on the sidelines... ran over to a spot about five feet behind me, leaned over and picked up a single blade of grass and said, "Hey John... here it is...we found the reason why my little brother tripped up."
    Of course, laughter broke out... my big moment as a high schooler went down in flames!
    True story...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
  12. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Fantastic story, thanks for sharing

13. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    Great story. I'm behind you a bit. My first memory of Gator football was listening to that '69 Houston game in a hotel room with my Dad as a kid. My Dad was through the roof when we beat Number 1 Houston. The rest "as they say" is history. Reaves to Alvarez and Touchdown Tommy Durrance. My introduction to Gator football.

"Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born."

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think the problem here in evaluating recruiting is our expectations, based on where we perceive the program, based on the end of last season. I don't think the rest of the college football world, including recruits, is ready to share our perception ... yet.

I think sometimes people put too much value onto the coach's ability to recruit as the determining factor. I think it has a lot more to do with the perceived state of the program.

Everything that happened at the end of last season, including the recruiting class, was largely based on the momentum from the on-field turnaround and the perception that the Gators were back. But once the season is over and people step away a little, they start to wonder if last season was an aberration. Coaches from our competitors certainly tell recruits it was. Then you have the off-field issues and suddenly, we've lost that momentum. There's probably not much that's going to change in the next 2-3 months to change that.

But in my opinion, the key moment will be the Miami game. I believe that if Franks looks like the guy we saw at the O&B game and the offense looks strong, and if we win in a convincing manner, the recruits will immediately start to believe in the program and the momentum will pick back up almost immediately. And if we continue to win, that momentum will continue to build. I think we might even turn a kid or 2 who spurned us.

If we don't play well and lose the Miami game, we can still get that momentum back, but it may not come back until it's too late in the season.

I'm not sure I remember a season opener that's been more important than this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I thought the Michigan opener was going to really propel the Gators. It did but in the opposite direction

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, the Michigan opener was very important... we blew that one. Other than that, I can't really think of anytime we've played any kind of a decent team 1st game of the season. I've only been a Gator since 94' though, so I'm sure there were a few back in the day...

17. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I believe he always wanted be a CB, but his body said he could be used multiple ways.

18. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    We blew the Michigan opener way before the Michigan opener....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Given the options southeastern kids have within 250 miles in any direction, it's going to take another season (or two) like we just saw to expel the stench of the malaise that engulfed the program for 9 years. Realistically, that was always likely to be the case from the day he was hired.

Not tough for Bammer, UGA, Clemson etc. to preach one hit wonder to recruits in regard to UF at the moment. Mullen may very well need through his third season to lock down a less volatile recruiting model.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    QB- we have a monster
    RB_ will get a good RB before its all said and done. A place where UF is deep.
    TE- In good shape
    OL- Question marks but UF needs 3-4 solid guys. I feel good on two right now.
    WR- I think UF will be fine when the ink dries.
    DL- I have said all a long UF will be fine with the DL class. I do expect either a Grad Transfer or Juco to help.
    LB-UF should do well at LB
    DB- Another strong DB class awaits.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2