Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thoughts of the year 6.3.2019

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by taxman22, Jun 3, 2019.

1. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sorry for being away this year. I watched 85% of what I usually do. I have some personal and professional obligations. I hope to get back more involved again next year.

1. In Sully I Trust. I am not going to harp on a bunch of negative stuff about the pitchers. The numbers don't lie. Pitching was bad. Think of a Steve Spurrier football team with a bad offense that was still and ok football team. That's what you had this year. Sully is the best in the business with the pitchers. I am not worries one bit here.
    2. Overall we just didn't have a Friday night "dude". Dyson was supposed to be that guy. If he stays I would like to see him in a closer role. He thinks too much as a starter about setting up next pitches and pitch count. Tell him to go throw upper 90's with a slider for one inning. Good luck hitters. If we had a Friday dude that was say 8-2 with a 2.50 ERA like we have had for many years, this team hosts a regional.
    3. I am excited about the Freshman class. Calilao, Fabian, Young, Acton really carried this team in non conference. They hit some walls, but they were fairly consistent through the year. Sully likes the freshman pitchers, he relied on them down the stretch. That's enough for me.
    4. This team was lacking leadership. The upperclassman didn't gel as a leader group IMO. I could sense a bit of a divide between young and old. I don't think it was really anyone's fault, it just sometimes happens.
    5. This was a really good offense. I am excited about the offense next year too. I don't know that we will score as many runs, but it should be more efficient from top to bottom. It will be interesting to see where McConnel gets drafted and what that team wants him to do. He's got a long way to go with the glove. Flashes are there. If he wants to play SS, he might come back another year. He had a really good, although did fall off at year end. Hes got a bright future. Selfishly, I hope he comes back. I cant see Dalton leaving unless he just wants to move on. His inability to hit off speed really showed again this year. It was covered a bit last year. Would love for him to stick around and be a leader. He adds some value.
    6. Leftwhich and Mace showed they could be that "dude". IMO they were freshman this year. They pitched in spurts last year, but this was a big jump for them. I wish they would have handled it better. They both did show at times they could dominate. I think its about location for them both. They aren't as overpowering as some guys, they cant miss spots against good teams.
    7. In Sully I Trust. We made a regional. I was really hoping to get to the regional championship, but oh well.
    8. I am going to miss Nelly. A glue guy on offense. Great gator.

What say you gator fans?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    JR/SR accounted for less than 15% of our total innings pitched. Lots of young arms got some experience this year.
    11 in a row over SWAC and a series win against Miami, in a relatively down year...no complaints here

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    If the next four years are as good as the four years following our last mediocre ball club, I am more than happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Agree with all of your points in your post—good to see you back in here again—

Every great program is going to have years that are not up to par—it’s hard on fans to understand “what’s wrong with us, we suck” after getting used to being spoiled like we have by Sully led and driven teams—

Agree again, our pitching didn’t develop like anyone was expecting it to or planning on it to—the lack of a command presence on the mound was sorely missed—

The freshman class we watched this year is very talented, took some shots to the chin as well as some hard body shots—we will see how they respond and mature—(both position players and pitchers)—

Good leadership is the glue to any team’s success—(both in the clubhouse and in the dugout and on the field)

I wish for, or long for the type of offense that puts the overwhelming feeling in the opposing dugout “these guys can freaking hit” and it doesn’t go away—consistency is the key—

In Sully I Trust—Go Gators!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm wondering about attrition from our pitching staff. I won't mention names but a lot of our more highly-touted pitchers barely or didn't sniff the mound at all the last couple of months of the season.

6. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Agreed. In sully I trust. This will work itself out. I do think we’ll see transfer out, just like each year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Two really good points that get lost in the shuffle.

8. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    "We just need more triples"

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I just think Sully might have had a few pitching busts on the recruiting trail over the last couple of years who just didn't pan out. You never really know what you're going to get when you bring a kid in. It was just weird how so many of the pitchers just struggled. Coaching issues? Maybe, but I think that's jumping to a conclusion right now. It's mostly scouting while recruiting imo.

You can try to develop players until your head explodes, but if it doesn't take, it doesn't take. Some kids are just going to reach a plateau and not get any better. Dyson, Mace, and McClellan, our upper-classmen who were expected to be the foundation of our weekend rotation this season, just didn't pan out. Face it, they're not going to get any better.

We have some potential in a few of the freshmen, but Sully just needs to tighten down that work cap and really hit the recruiting trail and solve this pitching problem.

Recruiting will solve the problem.

10. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Just a quick comment-- there are probably 200 or so fan bases that would have loved our "mediocre" season.

We have high, and perhaps too high, expectations. If our season does not end in Omaha many consider it a failure. It is not a failure it is the rhythm of life. Mostly good years mixed in with some not so good.

We must recall--3 over the swac, series win against Miami, and valuable regional experience for the freshmen--several of whom should be finishing HS ball right now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Overall, I thought this season went about like I thought it would. You can usually tell what kind of year you are going to have after 2 or 3 conference series. Our league was tough this year, but I don't see that changing next year. We need to have a lot more self confidence. It seems when innings go sideways, they go way way way sideways. This doesn't help you collect W's.
    In Sully I trust as well. He will enjoy the challenge of showing what we can be next year. I don't envy the kids for the off season, but it will be worth it if they put in the work.

GO GATORS!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I've wondered about the leadership issue as well and any divide between the classes. Next year is all the about the pitching. A left handed pitcher like Barco could be a huge help to this staff. It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes, mostly from the pitchers. One area we have to see improvement from next year is experience, on the mound and at the plate. If we have to rely on another 4-5 freshman again next year it might be another long year. These batting averages in conference show the void from this year.
    13 McConnell, Brady .299
    27 Maldonado, Nelson .297
    44 Langworthy, Austin .295
    9 Smith, Brady .291
    16 Dalton, Wil .261
    22 Acton, Cory .243
    1 Young, Jacob .223
    6 Calilao, Kendrick .221
    4 Fabian, Jud .170
    Not hyping on any one player but all freshmen should see a jump in next years averages. One player I do want to point out is Brady Smith. I have been complaining about his catching throughout the season and early season lack of hitting. The numbers show a dramatic improvement during the conference and for that I say a job well done. He may not be the best catcher yet but he has improved. That could be a sign of a good leader we need for next year. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Several of us have pointed out just how Jekyll & Hyde our pitching was, collectively and individually. We have pitchers, on a given day have stellar outings, then turn-around and be clueless. To me, we have *it* - just need it to be much more reliable and consistent.

I would imagine, there will be a lot of competition for some spots next year. Particularly, SS, 2nd (move JY to OF?), & C. Nothing is set on the mound, either, IMO.

Next 2 years fans might be distracted a bit:
    1. Swan-song for the Mac. Might be bittersweet?
    2. New venue. New digs to try out. You could have the bad news bears playing and (hopefully) we’d show to check it out . There will be an up-tick in interest in gator baseball just for the venue. If the team performs well, might capture some new lifelong fans!

14. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Was our pitching that inconsistent?

8.46 runs per game against top 25 RPI (9 double digit games in 24 games played; 4 games held opponent under 5 runs)
    5.05 runs per game against 26-80 RPI (2 double-digit games in 20 games played; 11 games held opponent under 5 runs)
    3.44 runs per game against 100+ RPI (0 double-digit games in 16 games played; 10 games held opponent under 5 runs)

We typically fared better against the weaker competition and struggled against the toughest competition.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Looking at it in aggregate might damper the #’s since, say, the starter was great, but then the relief was less than stellar. Then, next game the opposite occurs.

Take this last game vs DBU as an extreme example: What were each gator pitcher’s ERA for the game? And then, what were their ERA in the game they last appeared?

16. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Fair question, and while there will always be some variance, I think there's more consistency based on caliber of opponent than we may obviously identify. Here's something I dug up on some of our pitchers (when considering options for Army and how players may have been expected to perform):

Consider Scott, Specht, Luethje, Pogue, Alintoff, Armstrong, Crisp, Butler, K. McMullen, Blasucci (feel free to sub in or sub out to see if the numbers change):

Against 100+ RPI opponents this season: 2.78 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, 0.214 Opp BA
    Against top 80 RPI opponents this season: 6.03 ERA, 1.54 WHIP. 0.281 Opp BA

I don't think you can use a situation of Pogue coming unraveled against DBU as an indication that he would have done the same thing against Army. It falls under the category of "anything is possible" but there's enough consistency in the data to recognize they have performed better against weaker competition. Or at least we should recognize the chances of it happening were significantly lower based on the data.

They had some bright spots against the stronger opponents surrounded by multiple struggles; whereas they had some rough spots against the weaker opponents surrounded by multiple successful outings. But if it was straight inconsistencies, I think it would show up differently in the numbers.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Great post.

McConnell is gone. He’ll go in top 100 picks.

Leftwich showed me dude but Mace did not. Leftwich has filthy stuff. Mace very solid.

Dyson probably gone but your right as a closer. Not sure why he pitched 1 inning the last 20 games.

Love the Freshman. Calilao and Jud truly struggled in SEC play but will be fine.

Brady Smith is a kid we can all grow to love. Never quits fighting...ever!!

If we get most of our Freshman pitchers on campus to add to Pogue, Scott, and Specht we will be really tough next year.

We need a Shortstop. Pretty sure we don’t get our top kid on campus so do we go JC?

Hoping Butler has more of a role both ways next year.

Yes we are spoiled but this was a bitter pill to swallow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Wes:

When you consider that rpi doesn’t necessarily equate with offensive prowess ( How many years have we been top 8 rpi with a fairly average offense? ) these numbers are pretty Surprising. Wonder if there is a large mental/confidence component.

19. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    There's definitely an aggregate component in there. While RPI is far from perfect, it takes SOS into consideration. For instance, which teams would you rather pitch against for better stats:

Yale .285
    FGCU .281
    UNF .276

Georgia .270
    SWAC .268
    Auburn .260

The three teams above are all statistically better than Army (.273) while the three teams below are all statistically worse. I find the NCAA rankings of things like hitting to be completely useless. They could easily categorize the results based on pitching performance (and vice versa) and create an additional category indicating the relative strength of schedule that could be used in filtering.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  20. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    the last one,,trust me on this one.

been hot lately..up to .263..;) 4 points higher than opp at least.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019