Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thoughts of the week 3.12.2019

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by taxman22, Mar 12, 2018.

1. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well, big boy ball starts now. This is a good time to reflect back to the start of the season, and project out what we might see.

1. I think we are possibly 7-3 against regional teams. [UM, FAU, UCF, Stony Brook, Bethune]. That's good. the UCF sweep kind of hurts. The boys just didn't focus. Lack of focus. I'd be surprised if we don't see them in Gainesville for a regional.
    2. It's nice to see Liput back. He's hitting the ball well, not a ton of stats yet. it was nice to see him in the mix at the end. I think he can be a leader, ala Bryson smith a few years ago.
    3. I would like to see Jordan Butler get a few games. Is it time to give langworthy a chance to relax and take a few days off? I like langworthy, sometimes stepping away helps. Cardozo made a good point on the broadcast of him swinging down. He might be focusing too much on hitting ground balls.
    4. Sully develops the heck out of guys. See Nick Horvath. The guy is a hitting machine this year. Same could be said for Blake reese, although I always thought reese had the offensive upside. I thought CF was going to be a dead spot offensively. Boy was I wrong. Horvath is a tough guy too. team mates have to like that.
    5. the starters dominated this weekend, although that lineup wasn't very good.

I am excited for this week. The noles lost 2/3 on the road at Wake. That's a bad weekend. Wake was 5-8 heading into the weekend. The clowns are going to run Martin out of town. I'm really excited to see how we play in the big environment on the road this weekend. SC will always have a quality product, they play real well at home. How will some of the young guys handle it? we'll soon find out. what say you gator fans?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I wouldn't read into UCF much. First they are pretty good. Second, midweeks just don't have that much attention from a team like UF. Kentucky lost to Northern Kentucky during the midweek but has been dynamite on the weekends against quality competition.

I agree Langworthy needs a break. That said, this is a tough week to give that break. Would be interesting if Sully does do it.

I really this group of arms. I am VERY curious how Brady matches up this weekend. He was mediocre against Miami and Stony Brook but outstanding against Siena and Rhode "is not an" Island. USCe is going to be more Miami/Stony Brook than Siena.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I agree with Greg on the UCF games- You can not let games that are already in the books affect how you play now or in the future.

Liput getting back in the saddle is important for the team--let's keep it a team focus.

Point well taken on AL--we'll see what Sully decides.

Sully and staff's approach with this group of hitters is really paying off. As we all know, consistency is the key. What we are seeing right now is a great combination of patience, explosiveness, and consistency--let's keep grinding.

Pitching at Florida is a lot of things--Dominant, expected, over-powering, efficient, and done by many--not just a few.
    We are spoiled for sure and we all are guilty of expecting perfection. That rarely happens, but we pull hard for our guys even through tough outings and boy are our pitchers fun to watch (at least from our dugout!)

USCe is a great venue, 100% baseball atmosphere, competitive, and we will need to take our best efforts up there.
    As Greg and many more can tell you--if you have not made that trip, it is worth the effort. One of the places that let you know what D-1 baseball is all about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    From a pure baseball standpoint, USCe is my favorite venue I have been to. I still haven't been to Blue Bell (will be there in May) or Baum. LSU is fantastic for atmosphere but the stadium is just good. USCe has atmosphere and a great stadium.

MSU is the most fun but that involves more than baseball.

Austin is best if you want a baseball + city break weekend but of course I just love Austin and they happen to have a good baseball team and nice stadium.

I fly out to Columbia on Friday morning and I can't wait to get there!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    I would love to see a game in Columbia. I cant wait to watch. Singer just has to control his emotions, he'll be ready.
    The mid week games are what they are. Not a big deal, I just wish we could have split. Lack of attention, move on. UCF is solid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gator defense is rounding into form. Some flashy plays by India at 3rd this weekend. Really commanding that position. Horvath too! Echo the sentiments about Horvath at the plate. He has become a savvy reliable hitter. Knocking on the screws.

Liput was solid at SS. He’s swinging better than the stats indicate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    We have the guys to vary the lineup. And still play solid defense. Wouldn’t mind giving more guys some rest, so we are super fresh for the postseason.

8. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    What’s the word on Brady Smith?

9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Noles have mot moved Andrew Karp into the weekend rotation for some reason, so assuming he will get the start vs us. Feels like he has been their midweek guy for years....which is kinda true. If he's on it will be a good battle. I'm guessing Mace gets the start for Uf

10. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    I really hope Langworthy can turn it around. I was hoping he would have a break out year. He is hitting .207 this season.

For some reason, I thought he had a pretty solid freshman year. But when I looked at his stats from 2017, he only hit .238. I hope he turns it around as I like him alot. But there is a fear that maybe he just isn't that great of a hitter.
    So far, his stats show that. With that said, I will be his biggest cheerleader hoping he starts hitting.

11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Remember his injury hampered his hitting for much of last year. The expectation was definitely pretty high for him this year....still time to get it going, but needs to happen soon

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Hitting is very mental. Slumps can compound themselves. Sometimes a break is just what the doctor ordered.

JJ hit over .300 in SEC play last year but was very poor prior to SEC play. Statistically still not a great year for him but better than most probably think. Maybe Austin's light will turn on like JJ's.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Well since UCF beat us and we are the defending NC, they are now NCs so we lost to the NC. Or some $hit like that.

Re-focus and get better.

14. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Start cheering

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    —-
    I was so happy for him last night. That was great to see! Keep it up AL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 Junior

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Langworthy did great last night. Hope that continues. Sometimes it is seeing more pitches. It is early in the year and guys need to see more breaking balls and get their "eyes" back.

Really am excited to see our pitching staff pick each other up. When one starts bad the next really picks him up . Mace deserves a ton of credit for the job he did last night. He cooled off that lineup in a hurry.

Go Gators against USC! Going to be a tough but fun series up there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Tommy Maced the Noles!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    bogey--

He was nails......total shutdown!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    One of my favorite "hits" last year was Langworthy's towering foul ball in the first of the championship games against LSU.

Bases were loaded and that SS Kramer Robertson ran to get it; waved off the outfielder whose momentum was in the opposite direction. When blondly caught it he had to stop himself then turn around. This gave our guy on third time to tag up and score.

Then our guys on 1st and 2nd tagged up making it to 2nd and 3rd.

Very alert base running on our part.

This perfectly set up the next at bat with India getting a ground rule double scoring two more runs.

Considering we won that crucial game 4-3 I'd say Langworthy's foul ball was remarkable good fortune for us. That's how I'll remember it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Langworthy is hitting .500 last 3 games. He does not need any days off . Needs more at bats. Damn good hitter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1