Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thoughts of the week 2/23

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by taxman22, Feb 23, 2020.

1. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    What a weekend!!!
    I went into the weekend thinking we would get one game. Boy was a wrong!! Huge weekend.
    1. The starters and whole pitching staff really impressed. Most impressive pitching performance in a long time.
    2. We have some dogs on this team. Actually this team is loaded with dogs. Lots of the freshman turned into dogs going into their softmore year. Mace has always has some of the attitude. I like it.
    3. Sully knows how to pull the right strings. I love specht and think he is going to have a super important role. His stuff was just off a bit Friday. Sully saw it made the change.
    4. Langworthy scoring the run Friday night was awesome. He’s steady eddy. Tough weekend at the plate. He got the base knock and came around to score.
    5. I am just really excited about this team. I could go on for a long time. It’s early, but what a weekend. Big weekend coming up. Troy is a really solid club.

What say you gator fans?

• Like Like x 4
  2. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Didn’t expect a sweep. Miami pitched extremely well and Gator pitchers matched them step for step. Only real concern was 14 strikeouts per game (more than half the outs in a regulation game). Hard to believe a road sweep when we struck out 43 times this weekend.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I was very impressed with our pitching staff with their preparedness, competitiveness, and execution all weekend — yes, there will always be things to critique and adjust but our guys gained invaluable experience in a major hostile environment and that will be used as the season plays forward hopefully to our benefit—the ability to vary looks and do a better job of holding runners comes to mind for our guys to become sharper in their repertoire—understanding we saw bend don’t break pitching ALL WEEKEND was impressive—

Our hitters faced the best pitchers they’ve seen yet and while the number of K’s was not what you wanted to see, they proved to be competitive in the clutch—the more AB’s they have against upper tier arms I believe the better they will be—just me, but it’s hard to fuss about the number of K’s when we were in a very hostile environment and sweep the series...

I thought our defensive miscues were minimal overall and did not hurt in any game outcome—surely there will always be work to do to hone our defense but let us remember we made some excellent plays as well—

Looking forward to next week’s games and competition—

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Wow, is right! Wow!

didn’t expect this. Have to say - gators were challenged and exceeded expectations. Fabulous series.great for college baseball.

not much separates the 2 teams - going extra innings. Just shows the mental toughness the gators have - they got the canes to blink!

really love the way we won the games: great pitching. Some quality defense and some heroic at-bats. The pitching stands out - they are 100% improved over last season. This is the stuff that will get fans in the stands!

look out: we’re gonna be #1. Let’s see how we do with the target on us! STill have room to improve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Last year's team won 6 true road games in 18 attempts. This year's team is 4 for 4.

In 2011, FLORIDA swept Miami, Omaha, Championship series
    In 2012, FLORIDA swept Miami, Omaha
    In 2017, FLORIDA swept Miami, pretty decent finish whatever it was

What's different about this year's sweep is that we haven't yet allowed a triple on the year. Just sayin'.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    We've had years in the past where we dominated Miami early in the season, only to find out later in the year that the Hurricanes weren't particularly good. So that's something to keep an eye on.

But this was the kind of series that genuinely changed my view of the team's prospects, especially on the mound. It was about as challenging as a series could get for a team with uncertain pitching - road series against a top opponent, two extra inning games testing depth, a Sunday game with some of the best arms unavailable. And the pitching passed the tests with flying colors.

I'm not ready to sit here and say, "Oh yeah, these arms are all set to dominate Georgia and Vanderbilt." But you couldn't ask for anything more out of a weekend series.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They didn't make the tournament in 2017, we swept 'em with MOVs of 1, 2, and 4. Nothing spectacular offensively other than Liput's triple. In the three referenced years above, they finished with a total of 2 NCAA Tournament wins (JU twice in 2011). They were ranked in the top 25 each time we played them. May this year's sweep be foretelling of another Miami collapse!

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I just can’t get over the reversal of the UF/Miami series Under Sully. Even with Miami coming in as #1, at their place: Gators sweep.

you tell me we would have this success over Miami back in, say, 2002, I’d say you were dreaming...and cane fans would laugh with much derision. But here we are. Amazing! Enjoy!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    They could collapse, I get a feel UM might be at minimum a regional host. That’s a solid lineup. Their pitching was solid too. This sweep just feels a bit different.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    special season could be evolving.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 Senior

Jun 8, 2007
    SEC is stacked this year. Unreal that Tennessee still isn't ranked. Just let 'em play and let's see how it shakes out.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Very good point. Excited for the sweep, a ton of baseball left. Anyone hear about Christian scott’s injury? He looked sharp Friday.

13. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Don’t get the impression it is anything serious .... if it is an “injury” at all. In the dugout on Sunday, in the outfield during BP and seemed to be in good spirits.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 Senior

Jun 8, 2007
    SOOOOO much has to fall in place for us to have any goals beyond the SEC. I re watched the 15-minute version of our national-title winning game vs the LSU last night. Holy crap. What a game, what a series, what an amazing series of events.

Just let the kids play, stand-up-and-holler for them and the coaches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    I can't say anything but positive things that we went on the road and took 3. It is really hard to do, and we did it even if we did have to go into extras to get it.

Specht was hitting some great pitches and not getting the calls after that first inning. SMH I don't know where some of those pitches were in the umps eyes. He got frustrated. SEC will be just as tough, so he needs to shake it off and not let it get to him. Other than that he was on this weekend.

Langworthy would like this series back. He did show up some, but consistency wasn't there and he was swinging at everything. He didn't look comfortable at the plate at all. Also, that booted ball was bad, but he will bounce back and this team will rally around him.

Go Gators!! Keep up the great start. Let's get another W. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. macbgator

macbgator Premium Member

Even though we swept them, I see their team a lot like some of ours in the past, good pitching, good defense and a lack of consistent hitting with men in scoring position. They will still be a team to be dealt with!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Well, we got that #1 Bullseye on our backs now.

Time to act like we are ready for it. Lets put it on the next team we play.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    heck let us enjoy this weekend first.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I assure you Miami is very talented. McMahon and Cecconi will be very high draft picks in June and VanBelle, why not a radar gun guy, is one of the more effective pitchers in the country. UF will face some very good pitching in the SEC but Miami’s three weekend guys compare to almost anyone on our schedule. And their lineup features three preseason AA’s, including Del Castillo, who is one of the top catchers in college baseball.

You make a good point and I agree it’s only one series but let’s just say the many scouts in attendance this weekend weren’t there to just see the UF kids.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    I’m going to go out on a limb and state if our starters can pitch like that (which purely based on recruitment expectations I say why not ?) our lineup has been very impressive . There is something different about this team over our wonderful teams under Sully. The young guys have a cocky edge about them . I know Miami can be heated but this team showed some emotion and smack talk that struck me a lil different than recent years . Acton, Fabian, Rivera and Young in particular and now we can throw in Kirby , were genuinely in to the fray. Honestly , I don’t really like that kind of emotion normally but something about this team makes me kind of enjoy it lol.. awful early and I agree Miami I bet will prove to have been overrated but I was impressed with our midweek games leading up to it . Jax hasn’t been easy in recent years . Injuries , slumps and funks plays it’s normal roles but barring anything crazy this lineup will prove to be very good offensively and defensively. Kirby may get exposed from time to time at 3b but he may be our best option all things considered and the team seems to look to him as a leader . I agree it’s gonna be fun to watch. I’m predicting another CWS appearance and then it’s roll of the dice . Sue me but I’m feeling it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1