Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Thought Omar was very solid yesterday

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by toddrl, Nov 22, 2019.

1. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Have not seen much chatter on him...4 pts, 9 Reb and 3 Blcks in 28 big minutes...was also good in rotations on D for the most part

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I think he got lost a few times on D. One of them he was able to recover with a great block. His low post move was an air ball so he didn't show much offensively.

I watch him play and think he is going to be really good once he puts it all together and the game slows down for him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Seemed to get some blocks and rebounds, of course the two big free throws, but missed a couple of front end 1 and 1s early. Also his length allowed him to touch many rebounding opportunities that he couldn’t bring in. Has to work on his strength as I thought in earlier games. Even these lesser name schools have mature filled out bigs. His toughness will be challenged all year. Blackshear showed he won’t back down, but swinging elbows is a sure pass to the bench. For Omar keep up the hard work and battle. Maybe even take it to the hole as soon as he is five feet away maybe develop a baby hook. He has an upside, just needs time. K. Hayes took four years to develop an inside game, Omar hopefully with his talent being more skilled at this point, surpasses Hayes in developing a nice scoring touch and continues to get stronger, with these his confidence will grow. I believe before he finishes his career at Florida, double doubles would earn him post season accolades and a trip to the NBA.

4. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    He has already shown solid low post skills for a TR FR, even if he did not yesterday, plus he is one of few on our team that aggressively goes after rebounds instead of standing and waiting for the ball to come to them...rebounding is about A. Finding your man, B. Sealing your man, C. Tracking the ball and attacking it in the air....we have far too many that just wait for the ball to come to them

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    I feel very confident in him starting at center next season. Really can't imagine Bassett or Gak factoring into the mix. The potential starting 5 next year are Payne, Johnson, Duruji, Lewis, Mann.... extremely athletic group. I'm assuming Nembhard goes pro as I think he'll start to come along in the next month or so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    He was the top scorer for value in our contest yesterday.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    So you think Lewis stays another year? I hope so too.

8. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    What is it about Nembhard's game that would transition to the NBA? He is a good passer most of the time, seems to hit free throws, but is way too slow, and very inconsistent shooting and up to this point has great difficulty doing layups. He is a very likable kid and I'm confident he is going to improve, but frankly I don't see NBA material. But that's just me. I see lots of potential for Omar.

9. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    He might go but it'd be a massive mistake imho.

10. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Keep in mind he reclassified up, so he's the age of a freshman. It's also very possible that he's been coasting so far. That injury he took on the Canada team was a result of him being aggressive. He's fading away on so many shots that it makes you wonder if he's playing not to get hurt.

11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    As of now, Payne appears to be the most "college ready" of all the freshmen. Not that the others won't catch up and pass him but right now he has been a REALLY nice surprise. I don't think we win the games we have without him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dontpanic

dontpanic VIP Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Temple Terrace
    And you don't think that Lewis will jump to the NBA? I mean he's not been outstanding much yet, but then other than Blackshear and Johnson, no Gator has really shown much so far.

13. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Payne reminds me of a combo of Kevarius Hayes and Corey Brewer. Young still, but better O than KH already.

14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    That'd be very similar to James "Flight" White going pro after his freshman season here. Outstanding dunkers and hype. That alone unfortunately doesn't equate to leaving early. James White turned into a great player by his senior season at Cincinnati and I think Scottie will grow into a great player if he's patient. Right now it'd be extremely premature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    He has a very high ceiling...Love his game thus far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Omar has the potential to play in the NBA. He has that perfect blend of just enough height but not too much to be awkward, but with a wingspan (7'5.5") that rivals any in the league. Just ask Iverson how much of an advantage enormous wingspan on a shorter body is. Payne has most of the tools already, once he develops a consistent jump shot he'll be a force on both ends.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    @toddrl I said "potential". He has a very high ceiling. How he realizes that potential is another matter entirely.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    As a Freshman, I think he's got big upside. Seems not to be afraid of the moment.

19. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Looks comfortable around the basket and in the trees. Moves like a big guy should. HUGE upside. Get your FT% up

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1