Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

This was just hideous

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Dec 7, 2019.

1. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Think of it this way, buyouts are a lucrative business these days. It's like "money for nothing..." and the chicks are still great. At lease he didn't say players were getting death threats. You know a few buyouts here and there and you're set for life.

2. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I think he was saying what he truly believed. One of the things that I have truly appreciated about White is that he speaks candidly and doesn’t give the usual “coach speak” type comments. If he would get a good assistant to come in and straighten out the offense it would probably save his job. If not, we all know where this is heading. The only question is how long it will go on before we get there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    He's been loyal to a fault with his assistants. All three need to go. There are way better options out there.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I agree that he is usually very candid and I too have always liked that about him. So yeah, I'm concerned that he actually feels that way. I'm just trying to give myself some hope that he's willing to make major adjustments in-season, and that he comes to that realization soon. The thought of pissing this season away with this roster is too much to bear right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    I totally agree that he needs a seasoned offensive guru to help guide this offense the right way. I wonder if he's to set in his ways for this to happen, but I'm hoping he's open to it in the offseason.

Still crossing my fingers that he and his current staff can get it fixed this year. They need to completely re-evaluate the way this team needs to play, access the current player's strengths and stick to that plan.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I only let be terrible for a couple minutes before halftime. I turned the TV off and enjoyed the rest of my Saturday. Sounds like the coach would have too if he could have after listening to the presser.

Lessons learned hard sometimes are most effective. We'll have to wait and see if anything good comes of it.

7. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    We are almost 1/3 through season, unlikely we see any true sweeping and lasting changes...if we were going to do it, NOW is the only time with the last long between game break we have of the season

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    The unfortunate truth is that I don't even care that much about this program anymore, they've completely sucked the fun out of it. I've been a UF basketball fan all my life and this team is beyond annoying to watch. We've been through this same song and dance the last 3 years with Mike White, and he refuses to make any changes to his offense or staff. It's asinine to stick with the same offense and assistants when it doesn't even work with NBA caliber players. We have done close to nothing since Chris Chiozza made something out of nothing with 4 seconds in 2017. The optimists can say we have, but then again I'm not satisfied with simply making a tournament.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sadly, I think he was right. Guys were looking to pass, better shot selection outside of Blackshear, against a good defense. Doesn’t make the scheme any less bad.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

11. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Yeah I actually thought the same - we were able to generate a lot of good shots that didn't fall. Still wasn't pretty to watch and didn't feel natural or have any rhythm. Another common theme under this coach - exceptionally long shooting droughts.

I kind of feel like CMW is out of touch with one very fundamental concept - sports is entertainment. I personally feel like you can be painful to watch and succeed, but you really need to win at a high level to keep fans engaged if you play like that...

For everyone who speculates that we could/should/would consider a change after this season.... CMW is coming off of 3 NCAA appearances (all of which into the second game or farther). This team, while painful to watch, will still improve (and still be painful to watch) and make the tournament. I would be pretty shocked to see us let go of a coach coming off of 4 consecutive trips.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree with a lot of this.

The odd part is, I knew whites teams from la-tech and attended one of his first press events. He talked about his style and up tempo pace... and what Florida fans can look forward to.
    For reasons I can not explain, he has imported very little of what he had done at la-tech, as face as tempo, pressure and pace. I had thought it was an issue relating to personnel and depth, but this season offers no such alibi.
    I still think White... and THIS team will prove successful. But I can not deny being baffled by this aspect.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Baffled is the right word.

Early in '17-'18 - either right before the PK80 or that first game against UNH - I recall an opposing coach commenting after the game that he had never in his entire life seen a team move that fast in transition. I recall telling friends we looked like the Warriors. We ran out of gas late in that Duke game, and it feels like something broke and never got fixed. That must be an oversimplification, but I would speculate a lot of the fanbase feels the same way.

We recruit players for a pressure D/transition/pace team. We play halfcourt D like we want to generate turnovers and pick-6 you to death. We just don't ever push the tempo even in obvious situations where a Bo Ryan Wisconsin team would run.... and even in the half court, we spend way too much time arranging players before we start running the offense.

Baffled.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I don't see it changing anytime soon, let's be real for a minute. This team has no true identity. Last year we were at least gritty, and we lost that with Hayes leaving. It's a constant discussion of "can we play faster?". We have a PG who can't take the ball up the court against ball pressure without assistance, of course we can't play fast. He doesn't have the confidence to play fast. Our SG is shooting piss poor. Our SF isn't good at all offensively. Our PF is 6'5 and looks more lost about his role than ever. Our center prefers to shoot outside jumpers as opposed to battling down low. There's honestly nothing good to say right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    And like I said in another thread (or this one, can't remember), minor tweaks aren't getting this team to the second weekend of the tourney. We will make the tournament simply because the bubble is usually terrible. But with this roster, bubble speculation at any point in the season is unacceptable. If CMW isn't willing to make major adjustments w/ this team I don't see them coming close to meeting expectations. Since most coaches aren't willing to do that in-season, I'm not expecting White to either.

16. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    What was promised with Mike White
    A confident, young innovator eager to shine in a major conference
    A coach who relished playing up-tempo offense
    A player's coach, or at least someone who relates very well to his players
    A guy who recruits a deep bench because he prefers using a deep rotation

What Mike White appears to have become
    A timid coach seemingly paralyzed by the SEC spotlight and/or by overreliance on analytics (sorry, EFawcett)
    A guy unwilling to accept the occasional loss of control that comes with fast-paced offense
    A guy who has a hard time relaxing and tends to fixate on some players' mistakes
    A coach intensely loyal to a seven-man rotation, while players 9 through 11 can easily find themselves buried like Jimmy Hoffa)

I have no explanation for why this is happening, other than barstool explanations. But I do agree with posters who say the patterns have been repeated too often for this to be an aberration.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I keep waiting for the big turn around. All we need is time to get everyone use to each other. All the pre-hype about final four. I drank the Kool-aide. After 9 games we are still the same team that got blown out at home against FSU. Can we be a great team; well on paper we can. But as of now we are NIT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    I hate to say it, but this is pretty succinct and accurate. Something about the early portion of the 17/18 season changed CMW's approach. It's all a guessing game at this point, but he clearly felt his team was bad defensively early that season and might still be afraid to see what happens on that end of the floor if he were to cut them loose.

19. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    A few things

1. Mike White does not want to play fast, any other suggestion is a lie and simply not true. At least at UF he does not. We have seen enough to know that.
    2. He is not playing to player individual strengths or the team's strengths at all....posting up AN, letting KB drift on 3 pt line most of the game instead of posting him up more and pounding the ball to him in the block, or worst case at the FT extended line area
    3. He is not a pressing coach, at least not at UF
    4. We are very easy to scout and prep for, even on D. Let's be honest, Butler had scouted our 1-3-1 and ate it up. Most teams also have scouted our 1-5 switching man and get consistently good looks against it. Teams have just missed a lot or not been able to finish around rim due to steep talent deficit
    5. Being that he clearly wants to play slow and limit possessions on O and D, why we are not 3/4 court pressing (as we did last year) to control pace and make the other team run clock is beyond me. Almost every team is doing it to us, and get what it has worked very well for them
    6. White constantly yells at the players, even the ones that we should be having run the floor and attack, to slow up the game as soon as we get a defensive rebound. It is maddening and idiotic
    7. Program attrition is a HUGE issue. Not all the staff's fault, but our rate of attrition is much higher than most schools, there will be more this offseason, and it is not good for the program or recruiting
    8. White is a good, not great defensive coach. A lot of our good metrics here are because we play a slow pace of play, not because we are great on D. Don't get me wrong, we are a good D team, but White is not the GREAT defensive mind some make him out to be.
    9. We are getting negative recruited the hell out of on the trail for our offense, and more specifically for White not getting anyone of note drafted and into the NBA. If Lewis does not end up 1st round after this year, it will get much much worse. Some of that falls on Lewis, but making him play in a non attack, glacially slow O system is also really hurting his development and stock
    10. Butler game was not a good O performance, no matter what White says. Maybe we got some better looks, but we still have almost no consistent good spacing or player/ball movement, in year 5, with a deep and talented roster. That is 100% on White. While we all want to play fast with this group (and rightly so BTW) you can play slower and still have an effective and efficient O. Look at Butler, did anyone notice how well they move without the ball, how well they screened, and how well they passed and cut for great shots. I sure did, and so did the announcers. That is easy to teach and we still cannot do it in year 5. We do not even know from where on the court, and how to make a simple post entry feed, again that is all coaching, or lack thereof. We will have some games where we make more shots (as I said before Charleston) and people think the O is better, but it is fool's gold without consistent spacing, ball and player movement, which we don't prioritize or teach near well enough

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    I just saw a mock draft and Lewis was not even 1st round. I believe there are other mock drafts where he is in the 1st round. I'm guessing scouts are taking notice over how much he's struggling on the offensive side of the ball.