Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This was just hideous

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Dec 7, 2019.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Ummm you just did. ;)
    I don't blame you or any other posters who vent within reason after the way this early season has unfolded.

I thought that with a whole week to prepare for a team which had only three days to prepare for the Gators, that this would be a good performance. It was anything but. Poor shot selection. Poor shooting. Horrible at the FT line. Bad close outs and help D. They are young, but beyond that, look like a poorly coached team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I did. And true to my word.... became even more annoyed! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Our basketball team was fun to watch when Donovan was here. This basketball is painful to watch. At least it's finally fun to watch our football team again.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s unfair, but all could think of for much of the second half is what Billy could have done with this roster.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I think about that all the time. I thought things may change if White stepped up his recruiting and started getting better players and getting a skilled big man that could score. He has a lot of talent on this team so the time for excuses is over. Time to perform or go back to coaching mid majors. We need a coach that can handle a program at the level that Donovan built it. To go backwards after reaching that level is not acceptable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    When Mike Kyzsnmtsqylpkjbzcw started at Duke, he was a young coach taking over an unstoried program.
    Once you hit an elite level there is no more room for training wheels.
    I'm sure Duke will dig deep for a successor.
    CMW is here, he deserves a chance.
    But going forward, we need to be thinking more like winners and less like kingmakers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Coach White has been a winning coach at Florida. However, this was AGAIN just another poor display of basketball shown by this team. There is not very good team cohesion offensively and defensively. Just a lot of dumb fouls on three-point shooters. Poor free throw shooting by the players. How can anyone win a game like this?

The approach offensively to start the game was just terrible. Why is Florida not going to their strengths?

8. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    The game came down to one play for me. Blackshear shooting a 3, immediately after coming off the bench with foul trouble, probably on his first touch.

9. tundragator

tundragator GC Legend

Oct 26, 2015
    Box in 1 offense to end 1st half. Literally never seen anything so bad. Only CMW can bring the box and 1 to our offense. The result, we missed a 3 and they didn’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    We bottomed out today, now we are close to starting the conference hitting on an occasional cylinder. I guess the good thing is it can’t get worse than this. National tv, all the pundits for the dukes, Kentucky, Ohio state are going to pound this into recruits heads and anyone in their audience. This was horrifying for the Gator Nation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    agreed, I'm tired of watching Mike White-coached teams. I could handle the fact that they're painful to watch because of bad, unimaginative offense if it seemed like they'd be good enough to eventually compete for a championship. But nothing I've seen over the last four years makes me believe White has the ability to make that happen.

he is what he is, and his teams are always going to be workmanlike and plodding regardless of talent level, win more games than they lose, and never have enough juice to reach the top of the mountain.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    We can only hope most of America was watching football or picking up their Christmas trees. I really do hate that we laid such an egg for my all-time favorite color guy, Bill Raftery. It's rare that he does one of our games.

I thought he was pretty forgiving for as bad as we were. He complimented our defensive effort (not sure what he was watching) for much of the game and stressed that we were a very young team that was trying to figure things out.

13. tundragator

tundragator GC Legend

Oct 26, 2015
    Props to the Gator fans there today!

14. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    also had to turn it off, season ticket holder here and now second guessing that decision. Hopefully I'm just being a petulant fanned things will get better

• Like Like x 1
  15. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    MW supporter - was pained by the offense last year, but I relied on the cheese senior year offense (think the Nike classic) to think "if we just have the players/shooters, he can coach an offense." Then I faulted injuries in our front court and Allen/Hudson for "going backwards." Perhaps b/c I thought MW is a quality guy, focused on the right things, and would develop as a coach.

I am far from believing that today. Our talent far exceeds our performance and the trend of players not improving offensively, and our offense simply disappearing in games, is far too stark to ignore. MW needs some serious analysis of his coaching and his staff.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    Well he is in his final year of his contract with OKC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I still don’t necessarily think it’s a bad idea to bring in an up and comer. Either that or a former BD assistant (Anthony Grant?), the “sexy hire” doesn’t always work out either. So either way it’s a roll of the dice, except the sexy roll of the dice will set you back farther financially.

Mike White may or may not end up working out, but he was the right idea I think. I mean unless some crazy timing works out with a BD return, I’m not sure what big name coach would be on the radar. You almost have to look at the guy currently hot in the mid majors and hope that success translates. If the bottom fell out on MW I’d go after Anthony Grant before even thinking about a supposed bigger name, yeah I know he fizzled a bit at Alabama but i’d still see him as a Mullen-like “logic cannot be denied” hire.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee

Sep 15, 2007
    I've read all the posts (up to here) and have hit the agree button quite a few times. With that said, every coach has his own way of bringing a team along and I am just holding out hope that Coach White will use this time off to make some serious adjustments (in a lot of areas).

If he can't, or won't, we'll all know it for sure pretty soon.

I'm older than most and started watching Denny Crum at Louisville when I was 10. He played a tough non-conference schedule (pre-January) and wound-up losing a lot of those games to get his teams ready for the tournament in March. I know things are different now than 50 years ago (has it really been that long? Wow!), but the talent is there if the coaching can bring them together.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Just read an interesting comment from a poster on the GatorsMBK Instagram page. Said he sat behind the bench at the Butler game and said, "the problem isn't Mike White as much as it is the players. Scottie Lewis might be the biggest cry baby ever. Yelling at water boys about not handing him the right towel. Mike White had to tell him multiple times, "I don't want to hear it". I sat behind the bench and heard everything. The players aren't buying in."

Has anyone else heard anything like this re the players not buying in and Lewis whining?

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    As I recall, the overwhelming sentiment was revert for having missed on Shaka.