Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

This was just hideous

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Dec 7, 2019.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ve tried it tell you guy for years. I am not happy that he continues to prove me right, but at least now when I post it I won’t get beat up for it anymore.

He has zero feel for in game needs and adjustments. We apparently do know how to press, thank heavens we waited to save it as our secret weapon - when the game was already out of reach. As for the 1-3-1, we tried it on one possession, got beat, and gave up to go back to getting beat man to man time and again. The press would have been nice somewhere around the 13 minute mark, but we also need a straight up no gimmick 2-3 that we can go to, we’ve never had one under MW.
    His offense is garbage, there’s no other polite way to say it. And today it was made worse by parking KB 25 feet from the basket when he is our only legitimate inside threat.
    Tre Mann had a great few minutes in the first half , he might finally have been breaking out of his slump, and we park him on the bench for nearly an hour.

on the plus side, at least the kids tried to pass and be a bit more unselfish today, as if that should be a milestone we measure. But butler is a good defensive team, we had some better looks today that just didn’t drop. The offense will look better against more average defensive teams.

longer term, he won’t get fired this year unless we completely implode, but barring him finally hiring an offensive coach and learning how to adjust in game (he is one of the worst in game coaches I’ve ever seen), the countdown has probably begun.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I think you answered your own question.
    This is a very important year for white.
    Previous seasons were handcuffed by a rash of front court injuries the likes of which i have never seen. And I thought he coached quite well to largely overcome those deficiencies.

But this team has no such personnel issues. And the mindset... fair or not... will be that “if he can’t do it with this group... he can’t do it”.

As for me personally- I don’t expect a suddenly change. This team will need to develop with time. I expected some early struggles. But there have been several games this year that override even the most reasonable of expectations.

I’ll evaluate the year over the course of the year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    I doubt he ever will. TBH I admire his optimism and belief, even if it is getting clear to most other fans it's not true and misguided. He's consistent in his thoughts and That's admirable IMO

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    Based on what I've seen, this is an NIT bound team. That could all change if we come together in the SEC, but I see us with a losing record there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    It's a consistent theme with this program. Once we get up, we fall right back down. We played to score in the first 14 minutes and were up 5. Then we got complacent with that slim lead and decided to slow it down, which is exactly what any defense wants you to do. It snowballed from there and there was no energy. That's on Mike White, no one else. I don't even care about not winning, it's how we lost that's frustrating. We look emotionless much like last year's players. The passion isn't there unless the game is out of reach. Why that is, I don't know. Maybe because there's no pressure left. We've got to get the passion back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Seems worse than being a Browns fan. Gators have actually won NCs in my life time so expectations are much higher, especially with a much hyped roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I have and still do disagree with you regarding White, but always tried to do so respectfully. I don’t think I ever “beat you up” over your opinion.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    It's just so frustrating to watch even the teams we beat like Marshall have so much better clue of what to do on O and so much better spacing, ball/player movement and adjustments than we do. As WCI said so well in game thread, when most every team you play, win or lose, is getting more out of their personnel than we are, that's a coaching issue

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Look how well prepared Butler was for our 1-3-1, that's coaching. Look how well they adjusted to our post double teams after a few early TO and started exploiting it for baskets/layups. That's coaching. We can almost never point to these types of examples for our staff, at least not on a consistent basis.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Agree. What’s crazy is it seems like the best game plan would have been the exact opposite of what they did.

11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    To be fair, White is far from the worst hire. NC or bust is not the standard, realistically sweet 16 level is what you want consistently, keep doing that and when things fall into place you make a more serious run. Other than that one elite 8 run with mostly Donovan players, White has seemingly showed no hint of getting back on that level.

This is his most talented team yet, but so far feels like more of the same. Probably not even top 50 quality, offense in the 300's. Sneaking into NCAA's is realistically the main thing keeping White off the hot seat bubble (and there are many coaches around that can't even manage that), but eventually something has to break one way or the other. This could be a make or break year, so definitely has to address the bad offense pronto. It is just unsustainable to be this bad on offense, Muschamp really is the perfect analogy imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No dude, not talking about you, you have indeed always been respectful, as I hope I have been with you. But over the last few years I have gotten a ton of come on mans, subtle jabs that I was being negative to be negative etc.
    I get that people are emotionally invested and wanted me to be wrong so it never offended me, just pointing out that it’s more commiseration now than anything. Few folks left on the MW train right now, though I suspect a four or five game winning streak would change that back somewhat.

And as Todd said, I respect the fact that you have been consistent in your beliefs, and haven’t attacked folks in the process. It’s good to hear other points of view that aren’t accusatory or mean spirited. If we all agreed this would be a boring place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. tundragator

tundragator GC Legend

Oct 26, 2015
    Team reflects the coach, always has been that way.

I would describe the team as lost offensively, lacking confidence and passion, and sadly...searching for an answer.

I see this as a leadership problem and hope Mike makes some changes. Nevertheless, will continue to cheer for the team, as much as my sanity and well being allows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Louisville_Gator

Louisville_Gator Sophomore

Mar 15, 2012
    Sadly it’s going to get even uglier...and I’ll be here watching every minute of it

15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I don’t think so.
    But I’ll be watching regardless.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    White deserves a lot of the blame.
    But he is a capable coach and to say he got the job based on his dads position at Duke is just wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. gatorific

gatorific VIP Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Undisciplined in our close outs fouling 3point shooters, terrible D in the paint with guys jumping all over the place and giving up layups instead of maintaining defensive position....

won’t mention anything about the offense - it’s been well documented already

I am also a huge longtime Gator hoops fan, season ticket holder,etc, and like you, I’ve supported Coach while disliking his system.

He’s a great face for the program and a good recruiter - and admittedly I’m just a fan, not a hoops guru, and my coaching pedigree stops at high school rec....

But we’ve all got eyes to see, and our team looks to be underperforming and clearly less than the sum of its parts.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Apathy? Does that mean we will see less postings from you in the game threads?

• Like Like x 1
  19. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 All American

Nov 26, 2013
    Woww...never thought I would be reading this from you my friend about White but here we are.

20. gatorific

gatorific VIP Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Me too