Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This Telsa article gives me second thoughts about buying one

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Dec 4, 2019 at 8:00 PM.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I really want to like Tesla ... That truck is ugly but would make a nice work truck for me ... I'm seriously thinking of putting $100 down.

But It really bothers me that a $100,000++ car -- sold into this decade, the original Roadster -- and Tesla has already stopped making parts. Musk's response to people having problems is "trade it in".

That really blows, IMO. These cars are advertised as tough as nails and with "plug and play" parts that people can, in many cases, replace themselves. These electric motors will last a lot longer than the <7 years that Musk gave them before effectively pulling the service plug by stopping the parts flow.

As a side note, I once bought a complete set of battery powered lawn equipment that Troy Bilt ... a reputable company IMO ... manufactured. They stopped making replacement batteries within two years of my purchase because they had moved on to higher capacity models. I was lucky to be able to get one set of replacements from a second hand clearance store I found online. In the two years it took those batteries to fade, there was no replacements to be found. Battery Plus wouldn't rebuild them because of fire safety issue that all those battery packs face. I ended up throwing away a perfectly good weed eater, bush trimmer, chain saw, and pole saw ...

I don't like the idea of "throwing away" (or in this case, trading in) perfectly good stuff, because someone wants me to buy a new one, which essentially is what Musk is telling some Roadster owners.

Tesla promises Roadster owners dedicated service advisors, technicians and repair centers

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They will either fix stuff like that or die as a company. No one will buy the next round of cars if they are stuck with 20k in lost equity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    A few coworkers got a space in line because they said they could sell their spot in line if they wanted and it was fully refundable. Or maybe they heard that on the internet. I agree. It’s ugly. Rounded tire wells would make all the difference.

4. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Whatever about Tesla but I’ve have the same 4 piece Ryobi 18v tool set for 20 years. They just keep updating the batteries and I just keep adding tools. Great stuff but if you want reliable power without overheating your batteries, get the 40v for yard tools. ...useless info for your enjoyment.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t think this is necessarily a Tesla specific issue but one associated with limited production run vehicles. They made less than 2,500 of them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tesla offers 4 years, 50K miles bumper to bumper; 8 years/ 100K or 120K on 3s, unlimited on S and X on powertrain and battery.

While other things can go wrong, remember no radiator, exhaust system, etc.

Even my hybrids came with 8 years/100K miles on the hybrid components (includes the HVTB), 10 years/150K miles if sold and operated in a "Green" state (California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont.)

Hyundai Kona comes with an unlimited warranty on the battery.

7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I really like Tesla especially their song "Love Song".

Oh wait...sorry wrong Tesla. Never mind.;)

8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    How long after the product life cycle does a normal car still see "new parts" production???

As someone else said, this particular case probably has more to do with the very low production run. Why are they going to keep making parts for a car last sold 8 years ago that only sold a few thousand total examples? These cars are probably mostly in the hands of collectors and enthusiasts at this point anyway. Though Tesla does indeed have issues with parts even on their new cars, which I see as more of an actual issue.

If you wreck your current model Tesla, I've heard it can take months to get it back due to slowness of replacement parts and body panels/bumpers. Whereas a normal car might be weeks. This can be an issue for some as I believe most insurance policies only cover car rentals up to 1 month (the one accident I was in, I recall sweating it a bit because my repair took the full 4 weeks). Would really suck to have to cover the cost of a rental car for another 2 months because Tesla is slow as molasses at getting parts out. I guess this is one reason to look at a "subscription" service where you just trade it for a new car immediately no questions asked, I've looked into that but the total cost still seems a bit out of whack relative to just leasing or buying through a standard financing arrangement + buying insurance on your own.

9. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I’m never going to buy a Tesla because I don’t have the money to afford one.

10. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    $37,500 starting for a model 3 SR+ is pretty typical for a new car.

I love my Model 3. Feel free to pm me with any questions. I’ll happily share the joys and the warts. And I’ll say this. I didn’t buy it to save the world. I bought it to drive it like I stole it and it hasn’t disappointed.

11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The Truck is also cheap, that might even be a better “deal” than the 3. But man is that thing fugly.

12. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yeah, I’m not a fan, but it’s grown on me enough not to think the real truck has yet to be announced. ;)

13. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

16. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I'll stick with Honda Civic. It is such a babe magnet. :ninja::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Holy Crap!!!! I have now agreed with md and BLING in the same week!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    [​IMG]

:D