Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

'This season will never have closure' (Chris Harry Feature ~ Long)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    'This season will never have closure'
    Chris Harry / UF Senior Writer
    The 2019-20 Gators believed they had a postseason "run" in them, but it all came to numbing halt ... like the rest of the world.
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. Mike White and his Florida basketball players, assistants and support staff members stood spread out on the practice gym Friday afternoon for a team meeting. For what it was worth, they all practiced good social distancing.
    There would be no hugs, handshakes or fist bumps afterward.
    "Guys," White said. "This is the last time we'll meet as a team."
    Then it was over.
    Sort of like the Southeastern Conference Tournament the day before. White had a similar and equally surreal and solemn moment with his squad at the Renaissance hotel in downtown Nashville, Tenn. The tournament was canceled Thursday morning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, about three hours before the Gators were to face Georgia in second-round play. The NCAA Tournament followed suit later that afternoon. The 2019-20 Gators — like hundreds of teams and thousands of athletes in the country — were left to come to terms with an empty and lingering sense of unfinished business.

"It's weird," UF grad-transfer forward Kerry Blackshear Jr. said on his way out the facility door. "This season will never have closure."
    'This season will never have closure' - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Excellent article! Thanks for posting.

I had the same sense of optimistic anticipation for the postseason as White and the team appear to have had.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I’m still in a bit of a surreal state....maybe I’m in some weird simulation.

Perhaps I have the corona: and this is some sort of fever induced twilight zone episode....or, maybe I’m inebriated from a case of corona!? It really is surreal.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I always want to watch the Gators compete in the postseason, but this squad was going to pose a legitimate threat in the NCAAs for about 25 minutes of a 40-minute game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I agree I could see them getting past their 1st round opponent by coming out on fire and looking like they may make a run. Then play an excellent 30 minutes against the #1 or 2 seed we would have been matched with before falling apart in the last 10 minutes of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    "At least I got to play for my dream school." Blackshear is all class.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yeah, Blackshear is a class act. I feel really bad for him, given how the season went.

8. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    There is just so much sadness attached to all of this. Not only from a sports standpoint but the way it has affected all of us in one way or the other.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1