Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This one is on the coaches

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Matthanuf06, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    Really, after he let Trask spin it for 28 points on 4 75yd drives? I don’t know why coach made the decision on the series with EJ but i doubt it was predetermined prior to the game and i really don’t think coach is placating anyone. The previous time EJ went in he produced.

You realize this is what numerous posters have ranted to see EJ with a package of plays sometimes you don’t get what you want you get what you need. Many teams use a change of pace player at QB situationally. It looks like KT has the potential to be elite if he continues to progress and CDM knows full well how to harness his talents. Coach is driven to win regardless of the route given historic tendencies.

At 28-21 LSU defense was starting to tire our negated 27yd gain on 1st down was the breather they needed to rally

We had difficulty being efficient in the red zone last night even though we scored 66.6% of the trips there throwing the ball

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    This sounds good but let's not kid ourselves UF's defense wasn't stopping LSU's offense last night.

3. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I for one hope the switching QB’s multiple times a game doesn’t continue into next season. Just like FF did, Kyle Trask has earned the right to be the starting QB. I get running EJ in for a few very specific situations here and there, now. Thought Dan forced it a bit last night though. Run the option with EJ, not Kyle.

4. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Thought de la Torre's Gatorcountry 10 takeaways article was spot on. What's done is done, so now what do we need to do going forward.

Specifically

3. Florida needs Greenard and Zuniga. With both potentially out next week, how can Grantham cobble together a pass rush?
    9. Emory Jones- Was really confused about Jones' use, particularly in the second half. Using him as a change up is one thing, but perplexing why he was inserted to start a series just after LSU scored and why he was removed on a 3rd and 1, in obvious 4 down territory, which resulted in Trask throwing the interception in the endzone.

10 takeaways from the Florida Gators 42-28 loss to LSU | GatorCountry.com

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    1st and 20 or 3rd and long does change things. As bad as we were we did force the occasional stop

6. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Time and place. When we are winning and the D is playing well... fine give EJ a series

Trask has been playing like a top 10 CFB QB and that was the most critical drive in the game when we were down 7 and couldn’t stop them. We NEEDED to score. There is no way you can say EJ > Trask there and if EJ > Trask there then he should be the starter

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    Amen.
    It’s amazing how expectations reset during the season. If I promised you back in Aug we would start 6-0 FF would have season ending injury both D ends would miss majority of the LSU game more than 3/4s and we would lose in red stick at night by 7-14 with 470 yds and 28 points maybe 35, how many would have jumped on that wagon proclaiming we are rolling baby? SMH sometimes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. freedomgator

freedomgator All American

Mar 26, 2017
    All this boils down to is "if it works, then give EJ a series." Nobody is complaining about the EJ plays earlier in the game even though "we NEEDED to score" then too. Mullen wanted to create something in the run game against a defense that had spent a lot of time on the field and had primarily been defending a different type of player. It didn't work. Doesn't mean Mullen's an idiot for trying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Mullen should only use EJ in clear running situations or blow outs. Trask is a clear cut top notch QB1 in CFB

Its funny that we had to try something new on offense even though our base O was dominating but we didn’t want to try anything new on D even though we were getting carved up

• Like Like x 2
  10. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    Here’s the reality:
    If Trask is hot then I would prioritize “if it works, keep Trask in.”

And in a critical part of the game we for some reason decided not to. It was dumb, just like it was when we wasted a series against UT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    #9 this

12. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2013
    SC
    We have even seen SOS outsmart himself at times, maybe DM did it last night. It happens.

13. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    This is exactly how I felt about last night. Not sure there are any real arguments against it.

We got our ass handed to us coaching wise. We still have everything we want in front of us. Hopefully we learn from the mistakes.

I was very encouraged by the offense for 92% of the game.

I see no reason why we won't be favored the rest of the way.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Gotitsussed

Gotitsussed Sophomore

Feb 5, 2009
    The issue is not the coaches. No running game and injuries on defense were the issues. Most people blaming calling don't stop to realize it's more about execution than play calling. Not always but most of the time. Keep in mind the coaches see far more of these players in action than we do. They also are better than message board guy @ read / react to what defenses give us.

No running game really hinders us.

Considering that, I think we've done a great job with what we have this year.

Love Mullen and his staf .

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorfan01

gatorfan01 Freshman

Aug 21, 2018
    Exactly my thoughts. As a fan, I felt like for some reason, coaches didn't do justice last season when we were losing and Feleipe was horrible in some games, we never tried Kyle but when he is performing so well against the top team in their home field in front of 105k people screaming your ear drums out, we plug in other QB. Use of two QB should have some reasonable logic but this one seems to be same as last game where we fake punt at our own 40 yard to give other team chance to get back in the game. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for any 19-21 year old kid to wait for opportunity for 7 year and when finally it comes and he performs at highest level still coach does not trust him ? How can he again get fair chance when FF returns?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Great points!!!

EJ should come in sometimes when we are in the red zone. The series CDM gave him in the 3rd quarter was perplexing as what Kyle was doing was very very impressive.

With the defense, I just don’t get it!! Change something up. Hope to god he has his defense focused on stopping the run because with Dowdle and Feaster and a physical o line they will try to pound us.

Very disappointed in our linebackers not stepping into holes to fill gaps. Seemed a step slow.

17. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    If Trask is good enough between the 20's he is good enough in the red zone. Let him be QB1 the entire game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Killer_Rabbits

Killer_Rabbits GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Who the hell is Frank? Once, OK. But twice? GTFO.

19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Right, but....think about why he’s playing. Many of us felt he should have been playing all along. And when you consider he was pulled for a full series at a very crucial time it’s gotta be frustrating. There’s a base out there that thinks Kyle’s really never been given a fair shot. Some of the actions while he’s been starting have been puzzling with the timeliness of when Emory comes in.

20. gatorfan01

gatorfan01 Freshman

Aug 21, 2018
    By the way, for the sake of discussion, I would also say, when Coach Mac let Grier go most of the people on this forum saying the same crap like we trust Coach Mac and Grier spoiled our reputation and what our Coach supposed to do. Only after we fired Mac and Grier's success at other college, that tune was completely changed and everyone blamed Coach Mac for not handling Grier situation and let him go. If we are criticizing college kids for poor play and analyzing their play in film room after every game, I feel it is equally fair to analyze Coach mistakes without drinking cool aid for sake of discussion.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.