Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This one is on the coaches

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Matthanuf06, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Agree with all of this, but what is absolutely infuriating more than anything is the holding calls.

That hold they called on us you are speaking of was decisively crushing to that series at a crucial time in the game.

But on the LSU drive before that series, LSU held twice with no flags, and on their drive after that series, they held again and had a hands to the face with no flags. That's two LSU drives that basically should have been over right there early, with WHO KNOWS how many added yards of field position in our favor. It was PIVOTAL.

And don't get me started on the LSU secondary holding our WRs numerous times without flags.

I nearly threw my remote through the wall. Holding calls are an equalizer in big games like these, and they can easily cost a team a game by not calling them.

I get sick and tired of seeing us called for it and other teams just do it repeatedly with no repercussions.

Interestingly enough, notice how Vegas bumped the spread up to 14 right before game time, there's A TON of uncalled holds in this game which directly affect its outcome, and LSU wins by what? 14 points. Lot of people in Vegas made some good money on that I imagine.

Am I the only one who noticed?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    We scored enough points to win. If you give up 40 in the SEC you will lose more times than not. I put this one on the defense and the defensive coaches

3. gatorcloud

gatorcloud GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Also did you notice when he told Trask to go back into the game Trask wasn't ready. It looked like he turned to CDM and was like, "I'm going in right now?" I just thought it was interesting but bound to happen when rotating quarterbacks with time running out. I'm not a big fan of rotating QB's in between 2nd and 3rd downs. If that scenario was to go endzone then let Emory sling it. Overall I thought the coaching was good against a more experience quarterback, in a hostile environment, while not being full strength at defense. I love our linebackers and wouldn't trade them for anything but they are not fast enough to handle an offense like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The_Graygator

Apr 11, 2007
    I understand what you're saying, but if the refs would actually call the holds, 2 or 3 of those LSU scoring drives might have ended in punts instead of scores.

It's one thing for the D to be playing poorly, it's another to be playing with their hands tied too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Yea that was the addazio time. Man your right that was rough

6. jcmiller910

jcmiller910 Premium Member

Sep 18, 2019
    The problem wasn't our game plan on Defense, it was the fact that we didn't have arguably our two best and most important players on the field! Zuniga and Greenard make our secondary and linebackers better. Without those two we were not very good at stopping the run or rushing the QB. Kris Bohgle is going to be a great player in the future for us but he isn't who we needed out there. I'm telling you that Greenard and Zuniga are equalizers for us against a very good offense. Just imagine if we played Miami without those two?!?! Other than our two turnovers late in the red zone, not having our book end rushers was detrimental to our team. Sure, we could've coached better, played better on D, and maybe had a different game plan but when we lose those two guys on the road against a very good LSU offense it becomes very difficult to win as the game goes on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    It’s not one or the other. We can be thrilled to have Mullen and recognize he’s done an A+ job, but also recognize he made huge mistakes this game when every possession counted

Nice personal attack. Instead of attacking why don’t you try to justify the EJ series?

8. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007

Imo it’s simple. Mullen doesn’t trust Trask and Trask isn’t Mullen’s type of QB. Instead of adapting to Trasks strengths he sticks with the same game plan. Hence the options and the plugging in EJ for QB runs

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    The refs let them play for sure. I saw a pretty obvious hold on our 4th down TD so I don’t think it was biased. Impossible to say what would have happened if it was played tighter...

Imo the bigger issue were the holds in the secondary

• Like Like x 1
  10. GATORAJE

GATORAJE GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Luling, Louisiana
    Definitely some questionable coaching calls at the end with the last two possessions. However, got to keep in mind, CDM is still rebuilding after the last two train wreck coaching staffs that set this program back. Looks like he is ahead of schedule, all things considered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Frustrating hearing people act like this is the same defense with the 2 biggest pass rushers out of the game. Take out ray Lewis and suggs from the ravens defenses and suddenly they aren't the best defense in the league anymore. And they have an Ed Reed to still clean things up.

We are thin and don't have the depth to overcome those losses against a great offense like LSU. Is what it is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. The_Graygator

Apr 11, 2007
    I saw three of those go uncalled myself. One time the hold went on for almost ten yards, and it was Swain or Pitts they were holding I think?

It was like watching 1990's fsu Mickey Andrews defense... grab and hold if they start to beat you, and keep doing it all game and the refs will start ignoring it.

I rememver that 1999 game in The Swamp where they mugged our WR's throughout the game like that with only rare PI calls, and did it twice in the Endzones on sure TD catches with no flags. Cost us that game.

But as for their OL holds, it was the critical timing of the calls or non-calls that pissed me off... they gave LSU a big advantage at critical times in the game.

13. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Meh....I'm guessing Vegas knew more about our injuries

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Honestly if Mullen is going to be pulling Trask after he does all the heavy lifting every game just to give EJ reps, he might as well put his name in the transfer portal as soon as the season is over. Go to a team that will let him be the full time QB for his last year. There are plenty of teams that will showcase his skill set.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow... you really don't think Trask's skill set is being showcased in this offense??

I mean he's only 3rd in the conference in QBR (behind two pretty good QBs in Tua and Burrow) and 15th in the entire country.

Yeah... the guy should definitely get out of here before Mullen ruins him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Maybe it was the Bud Lights;) but we got away with a good bit of holding as well. Not saying it it was balanced between us and LSU but they let a LOT of stuff go including some PI non calls.

17. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Then why is he being yanked out for the most important series of the game?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

It's a step on the path to where we want to be. It's a process, but some want to just will it to be some instant fix. We are far ahead where we should be, and last night was an expected (and minor) bump in the road.

19. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll tell u
    I'll tell u the answer ....outside of Reese....we just dont have elite LB's that get off blocks and tackle ....this is not complicated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hyperbole... it wasn't the most important series of the game... but I would note the series previous to the one I think you are talking about is the one where LSU finally started getting significant pressure on him and I think was our only 3 and out of the game. Mullen probably felt adding the running QB dimension at that point would put the defense back on it's heels.

But to turn that into 'Trask isn't allowed to showcase his skills' and 'Mullen doesn't trust Trask' and 'Trask should transfer' is absurd.

Mullen is letting Trask throw ball all over the place. I mean look at his numbers...they don't lie. We out-threw LSU last night! So I guess Burrows should transfer too.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.