Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This one is on the coaches

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Matthanuf06, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Blah blah blah...we took what the defense gave us. Their defense stepped up today. Our offense did too.
    This was a hard fought game in very hostile territory with two of our best defensive players hurt. This was never going to be our year, but the future is bright.
    Our much maligned 2-star QB passed for 300 yards against LSU. The game was much closer than the score showed. The rest of the schedule is very winnable.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Thought the coaches were fine, injuries killed us.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed, our front 7 lacks difference makers without Greenard and Zuniga and the secondary got hung out to dry. Couldn't get to Burrow, couldn't stop the run, and for the cherry on top our tackling was pretty bad yet again.

but I'm not that upset....I thought that overall we played fairly well and kept fighting right to the end. Considering the injuries and environment, we did a decent job and the rest of the season still looks extremely winnable.

I'd like to see the coaches work thru the bye week on tweaking the offense to fit Trask a little better - put in some more pro style sets and plays, I thought our running game looked a lot better on plays where KT was under center. I know Mullen loves the shotgun zone read, and I understand why they keep trying to use Emory to open that up, but right now I think Trask is the better choice so why not work to his strengths a little more (similar to Urban installing the fullback during the bye in his second year).

either way though, this loss shouldn't make anybody tear out their hair - we're not quite at the point where we can be favored to beat LSU in their own house, but Mullen's got us on the right track. Things will be a lot different next time the Gators come to Baton Rouge.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Considering your first strategy was to sub in more DBs even when we couldn't sub I think you're parents did you a favor.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Georgia will be an L if we can’t get people healthy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Just stop. This thread should be expelled

We went toe to toe with the #1 ranked offense.... and Mullen is the ONLY reason we came out of this looking respectable.

Go Away

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Personal attacks, nice! If you'll use your recall I first said there is no reason to not have the right personnel in, if they sub so can you. I didn't say to sub more DBs on just to do it, only if it matches the personnel the offense puts out, if our coaches are worth the $$$ we pay them we should have the right numbers on the first play and not need to sub in the correct amount of DBs needed to cover WRs and TEs (and the right size too).

Side note: Seeing as I grew to 6'4 and have loved football since I was a kid and knew more than collegiate athletes playing the sport that I personally knew and saw daily I would kindly disagree with your assessment.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well I disagree. We were leading by a TD when the wheels fell off when Mullen had a rare brain fart and took out Trask and then the play of the game when we had a 1st down pass play only to be called back on a hold. Grantham's game plan was to keep the game in front of the DBs and force Burrow to take the short stuff with the possibility of a tip pass or incomplete. The couple of times we tried to blitz or didn't keep the pass in front of us is when LSU had the big play. We also tackle like women still. The short stuff should work by slowing the game down but if you don't tackle, they eventually score. This is a very soft secondary.

9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    On the one hand, Mullen has brought us back to relevance WAY faster than expected...even with backup QB's and some issues running the ball he just finds ways to make the offense work. But LSU definitely outschemed us in this one (their offense vs. our defense looking hapless, and vice versa with our offense shooting themselves in the foot late). I was afraid after the Auburn win if we got down early we might have laid down and suffered a bit of a "let down" type of loss. But that didn't happen. Most of us had to be feeling great with it being 28-21. At that stage it looked like neither team could stop the other, so if we could just get ONE stop or turnover and then come back and make it 35-21 we'd be in business. Unfortunately we had the INT, and then they followed it up with another stop of their own. So we were down 35-28 seemingly in a flash. It wasn't a letdown, it was just a tough game we kind of let slip away with some errors.

Maybe LSU's defense isn't great as is typical for them, but it was fun to watch our offense work for at least the first half. For some reason we just hit a wall starting early in the 3rd, and with getting no stops on defense we just couldn't afford to do that. As many have commented in various threads, I think Mullen definitely outsmarted himself a bit, switching QB's when things were rolling and then Trask running back on the field and throwing that quick INT. Probably should have just stuck with Jones on the 3rd and 1, or maybe let Jones throw one, or just stick with Trask period in that situation since he was hot. I put that INT half on Mullen and half on Trask just because the way Trask had to rush onto the field. We still had chances after that, but the INT just felt like a HUGE momentum shifter there. Hard to look at it any other way, we didn't score a point after the INT

That last drive was more craziness at the end with some odd play choices, but it probably didn't matter at that point since you would have been counting on an onsides kick.

Not a devastating or unexpected loss, just disappointing the way it happened. That the defense offered ZERO resistance was particularly disappointing. That it was a bit of a shootout wasn't surprising, but the way they carved us up was.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    I'm not saying fire everyone here. I saw much worse in Athens today on both sides. And still think we could've lost the game having made defensive adjustments, but why not even try?? And don't say we did, because if that was trying.. tisk tisk.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. RealGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep it is but LSU exposed our defense. Question is who can exploit it? Georgia can. Hilinski can if he's healthy. Bryant too. And if we do get to the SECCG, Tua will. Like I said in another thread, I tip my hat to Coach O for being smart enough to bring in an offensive mind. Keep an eye on Brady because I think someday he'll be a HC.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorSean

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree. If I look at this objectively, LSU is better than us at almost every position. Yet it was a one score game deep into the 4th quarter.

Great coaching is what kept us in the game and yet some people are twisting that into coaching is what lost the game??

If Mullen coached LSU and Orgeron coached us, what do you think the score would be? I think we would probably lose by 30.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Brady took a very lame LSU offense and made it damn good in less than on season. He will be a head coach very damn soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. GatorSean

Apr 3, 2007
    You clearly don't understand motion.

And I have no idea what your height has to do with anything.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill All American

Feb 7, 2018
    Night all.

Go Gators!

16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    He called a great half+opening drive in the 2nd half. After that we did not score.

Although on the whole, clearly the issue was with the defense having literally NOTHING for LSU. Can't really put much blame on the offense, other than the reality that they needed a perfect game and things went a bit haywire after that INT. I know LSU is seemingly great this year on offense, and to be honest I thought our D (especially the secondary) was going to be a weakness - until now that's been all wrong. But in the back of my mind I wondered if we could stop a high powered passing attack, and obviously the answer here was no, we were exposed. Of course not having Greenard or Zuniga for most of the game made it even worse because we had no pass rush, and even when we blitzed we didn't get home or the QB ran out of it.

It's concerning that there was no adjustment and LSU didn't just carve us up easily through the air, they had a couple RB's go to the house untouched as well. Normally our D seems to sell out to stop the run and pretty much dare the other team to pass, this game we were clearly afraid of the pass. But we didn't stop the pass, and on a few runs it looked like the red sea parted for their RB.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    agree with all of this, good stuff. The playcalling and QB rotation got a little too cute at times, but overall Mullen did really well. He threw the kitchen sink at LSU and found enough things that worked to keep us in the game right up to the end.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Are you serious? Lmao. I'll do the math real quick for you. 4 down lineman, 2 linebackers (Miller or Reese and Burney), 3 CBs, 2 Safeties. LSU with 3 WRs, 1 TE, and 1 RB, (1QB and 5OL). Why even with all the motion in the world can't we man up with 1 safety on their RB, Burney on their TE and 3 CBs on their WRs? Why couldn't we put every one of our players in man coverage out wide on the line of scrimmage? Is there a new rule I don't know about? We'd even have an extra safety to help shade the side of the field we were more concerned with or maybe he could blitz, maybe he could come down as if to stop the run but play a middle zone and blitz Reese instead.

QBs are normally tall, it helps seeing over the Oline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    There's a few things to keep in mind when looking at Mullen's play calls late in the game:

1) His QB has turned the ball over several times in the RZ
    2) UF can't reliably run the ball, especially near the goal line

This really complicates play calling, since normal stuff near the goal line doesn't work and anything with Trask passing has a high risk of turnover.

On the 3rd and 1, Mullen thought he had that play set up by running handoffs a couple times with Trask under center. Mullen does this a lot, setting up big plays after a few simple plays using the same look (for example, the jet sweep that clinched the Kentucky game). Mullen thought it would be more open, and Trask ultimately made a really bad throw.

Yes we only needed 1 yard for the first down, but then we're in a difficult goal line series. So just running for one yard would get us a first down but a TD still required lots of work. There's value in plays that eliminate the risk of having to execute a few more plays near the goal line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. RealGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    LSU didn't buy even our razzle dazzle plays. Very well coached and disciplined.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.