Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This one is on the coaches

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Matthanuf06, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Yep...just Football 101

2. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He's amazing isn't he? When UNC lost to Clemson going for two he absolutely insisted they should have went RPO. Now in a similar situation he is insisting we shouldn't have went RPO.

He's the king of all hindsight.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    It was a 3 n out, so that goes pretty much without saying.

4. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    What about the egregious defensive holding on Cleveland from the time he left the LOS he was the outlet on the play and later in the EZ Cleveland was interfered with again.

You conflate outcome with play call the calls were good, execution by all parties not optimal including the zebras.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    We went tight on occasion and it worked other than the fact that when we did Reese or Miller were matched up on a WR. We had all week to know what we would see, no reason to excuse having inside LBs covering WRs more than once or not adjusting. If they sub you can sub, no reason to give mismatches when we have the personnel not to. Yes they are a good offense and would've scored regardless. But just watching them do it and standing back? May as well not even have played. Be aggresive, sure they will score, but we at least have a chance for a turnover or some momentum. Geez. You'd think LSU had Mahomes, Watkins and D Rob out there with the cushion and scheme we played. I seem to remember another team who could run, pass and do it all with a heisman QB (cough Johnny Football cough Texas A&M) that we played away from home and we got gashed in the first half and then demolished them in the 2nd half. By manning up, disrupting routes and sending pressure in the box to stop the RB run and QB run. They were suffocated by our athletes that we still recruit out of the state of Florida every year.

6. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I thought Mullen called a pretty much perfect game in the first half - whether the emphasis on Pitts, the effective QB switching or perfectly timing the final drive so that LSU didn't get the ball back, he basically had the Midas touch.

I don't think the offensive playcalling was necessarily bad in the second half. The problem was that the offense had to be perfect - with the defense utterly unable to stop LSU, we had no margin for error when we had the ball. We basically lost the game when we had two poor offensive possessions in a row that went three and out.

The Emory series was bad, yes. Was the playcalling ideal after getting to 3rd and 1 on the possession that ended with an interception? No, but I don't think the calls there are as obvious as some think - normally I like a QB sneak when you're that close, but LSU's massive defensive tackle was blowing up Buchanan the entire second half and he was lined up over the ball. You could try some standard RB runs, but those weren't working terribly well for us. The best option there is probably two more EJ runs.

My big complaint is the fourth and goal option on the last drive. I know Trask had been a surprisingly effective option runner throughout the game, but on a must-have play I think you really need to run your best concept, which is Trask throwing quickly to Pitts or one of the receivers.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. GatorSean

Apr 3, 2007
    Uh, their- 4th or 5th Wide was usually motioned out of the backfield, not a sub from the sideline, which is why we couldn't sub and got stuck covering with LBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    We were playing a top 5 LSU at their place. It’s a tough game

But giving EJ a full series when we needed a score was a huge blunder when Trask was carving them up. It’s not like we needed a change up

And the play calling in the final drive was awful. There is no doubt about that.

Those two have nothing to do with hindsight. They were obviously terrible decisions

In games this tight mistakes made by anyone, including coaches, are magnified.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Burney was on the field. Have a talk at halftime and say if someone shifts Burney follows no matter what and Miller or Reese stay inside. Fixed. Really that should've been said on Monday practice 5 days ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    Delance blew up the option by missing the LB it was a great call but we lacked execution. If we had sealed the run support we walk into the EZ rewatch the play of 56

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Mullen called a great game. Kept our offense on the field for 40 minutes, which kept LSU off the field and kept our defense rested.
    On the other hand,our defense gave up 42 points in that other 20 minutes.

I think this is on a coach. But it is not Mullen.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GatorSean

Apr 3, 2007
    It's all hindsight. You really think if we scored on those two insistence and won the game in OT you would have been complaining about them?? Please. It's absolutely hindsight.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We scored 28 points, defense lost the two most critical pieces for tonight (no pass rush meant no stopping them), on the road against a better team. Once Greenard went out we were in bad shape, Zuniga sealed the deal.
    I didn’t agree with the Emory decision at the time, but us being in a position to tie in the last five or 6 minutes in itself was a minor miracle. The same staff that made that Emory decision made dozens of other good ones to get us to that point. Expecting perfection is unrealistic, they over-performed given what they were up against tonight.

I am not even upset about tonight, was a good game and they made the plays late at home. On to USC, which is now a must win.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree with this. For me there is a matter of disagreements such as the 3rd and 1 and our desire to run on certain down and distances (such as after the hold). While I think Mullen made the bad call, it’s close enough that it’s not devastating

The EJ series and the final drive was just obviously awful. It comes down to Mullen not trusting Trask IMO

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Yanking a hot Trask for an entire series down 7, in a tough environment, when your D can’t stop them..... is awful process. It’s a huge negative EV move

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. hawaiigator

hawaiigator Senior

Sep 9, 2018
    Sorry for the format....first time quoter here....but it looked to me like either something was in his eye or he got poked in the eye. He ran off the field, didn’t seem like Mullen pulled him out.

17. GatorSean

Apr 3, 2007
    If it's that simple why exactly aren't you making 7 figures as a football coach?

Sometimes Burney did exactly that. But sometimes he had to cover another WR or a TE. It's not always a simple 1+1 equation. Sometimes the offense wins. I'm sure you've seen all the mismatches Mullen creates. Do you really think we are only facing idiot DCs who come in unprepared?

18. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    I haven't seen anyone mention this, but it irked me in the game and still am wondering why? Why was the gameplan to bring EJ in around the 35-30 of LSU and then put Trask back in once in the red zone? It really seems like Trask needs the open field in order to keep the defense honest since we have no run game, and EJ ran every play so why do it at the 35 and shrink the field for our pocket passer and then bring him back in??

19. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I thought Dan called a great game, except for the last 3 series. Just a bit perplexing what he did there. He gets fuzzy at times.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    I ask myself that every day. Just because I didn't play I guess. My parents thought it was too hard so I had to play center mid in soccer (qb in soccer basically). I distinctly recall seeing Burney in the box while our MLBs were in coverage, not covering a WR or TE. We needed to get up in their receivers faces and throw timing off, it was our only hope once they could run the ball. And you're right it is all about mismatches and that's why we have players like Burney at OLB and Dean in the slot. We have 4 cover guys on the field at all times, don't tell me we can't man up on the line. Rewatch the game and you'll see not only our LBs and Safeties off the line you'll see our future NFL corners 8-10 yards off the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.