Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This one is on the coaches

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Matthanuf06, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Hopefully they learn from it. I’m not mad at them, everyone is allowed a clunker. But the key is they learn from it

Defense/Grantham
    ——Absolutely pathetic game plan. In games where we can out athlete teams we blitz. In this game where we are outmanned we decided to play straight up. Heck not even straight up, zone.

And when we saw it wasn’t working, what did we do? We doubled down. No adjustments

Offense/Mullen
    —-Many questionable calls here, mostly in the 2nd half

But in the first half he clearly should have went for it on 4th down at midfield.

The second half was ugly. Trask was throwing it around the field yet Mullen just would not trust him. Honestly it’s quite clear that Mullen struggles to adjust to a pocket passer. It’s the only reason why EJ is getting so much time

The calls after the hold were awful. Basically gave up on the series.

The EJ series was awful and way out of place. We needed a TD.

The EJ run in the red zone in the 2nd to last drive was odd. But I get it. But then why take him out on 3rd and 1? If the plan was to running EJ on 2nd and short then why abandon that? And it takes Trask way out of rhythm

The time management on the last drive was awful. We needed 2 scores yet the play calling had no urgency. Too many out of place runs not designed to get first downs. The fact that even if we scored we would have had to kick an onside kick was a fail

1st and goal from the 4 and Trask throws it once when you need 2 scores and time. That makes no sense.

Moving on to the future...

Grantham needs to find an identity. If we want to be an aggressive D then be that. Don’t go in the shell at the biggest moments

Mullen needs to trust Trask. IMO everything comes down to that. He needs to recognize Trask is a pocket passer and let him sling it.

We have all our goals ahead of us. Let’s get it!

• Agree x 16
    • Come On Man x 14
    • Disagree x 12
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014

How about the 3rd and 1 interception?? Brutal call.

If you always do what you always done you always get what you’ve always got.

Grantham knows that. Grantham gotta change something when getting dominated.

If nothing changes nothing changes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I thought the coaches put our team in pretty good position. LSU was just that much better. They are a very good team and we are a good team. Could still beat SC and UGA, which is what matters now.

• Agree Agree x 22
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  4. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    Huge disappointment, but the key is to come back next week and beat SC.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How would you do things differently? When we blitzed, Burrow ate it up. Once Greenard left the game, we had no defense against Burrow. We just don't have a complete defensive front 7. One guy is it and we saw what happens when he doesn't play. Our DBs were finally exposed by an elite offense. Horrible tackling once again. I had a feeling this would be the game but I haven't watched any LSU games this year. I thought it would be Georgia, but SC might light us up too if we aren't careful.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    It’s not like I think Mullen should be fired. He had a bad half. Shit happens. Hopefully he learns (I think he will) as we have all of our goals ahead of us

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How do you pressure a team that is gashing you on the run and almost never in pressure situations?

LSU went deep ONE time. Everything else was a quick pass or a run and they killed us on both.

The problem wasn't a lack of pressure; the problem was we couldn't stop the simple stuff to even get to the point where we could pressure.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    I would have blitzed and played tighter man. Would it have worked? Who knows, but everyone knew the original game plan had zero chance

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Im not saying there were some head scratchers in the 2nd half. But I felt we did a really good job for the most part and were winning by a TD after half. The holding penalty was a neck breaker IMO and changed the game. I didnt like the pass on 3rd and easy, down 7, and knowing we were going for it on 4th. But it almost looked like Trask made the wrong read. But Im not putting this loss on him. He played pretty well over all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    You play tighter man. The short stuff worked due to the huge cushion we were giving them

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    A bunch did. Very interesting to say the least. I’ll say it again....we got out coached.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    That throw was on Trask but yanking him out for a play surely didn’t help.

Imo you either stick with Trask on 2nd and short (throw it 3 times) OR you plug in EJ for three straight runs

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLuke

GatorLuke Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I agree and mentioned that in the game thread. CDM called a great game minus a few very important series in the second half with his use of EJ. I wasn’t waiting for the results of the play to determine it wasn’t wise. I knew it was risky.

14. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I thought we had a great offensive game plan and we took a lead at 28-21. I think Mullen lost the feel of how the game was playing out at the end and made some questionable decisions but overall the offense did a great job. I do think you have to question Grantham when you have a linebacker lined up wide covering a wide out. There is no way they can cover in that situation and is just a bad scheme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Trask didn’t call the pass play. That’s an easy one. 2 plays to get 1 yard. You only run there and run clock. Called bang for your buck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Our CBs were tight but when they went 4 and 5 wide we had to cover with LBs and Safeties... those guys aren't good enough to play tight.

And that's still no answer for their run game, which was the real problem of the night.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Eh they had a couple big runs but the pass consistently gashed us

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sometimes it isn’t about blame, you just get beat. That was us tonight.
    Jmo.

• Agree Agree x 20
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. NitroSmoke

Apr 9, 2007
    I would disagree and say we got out-athleted in certain situations and didnt tackle very well. LSU is for real. They have a legit chance to be doing confetti angels in January and we were a couple plays from taking them down - in Death Valley - at night.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  20. NitroSmoke

Apr 9, 2007
    It sure looked like an RPO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.