Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This offensive system is trash

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by cincinnatigator, Nov 10, 2019.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Right now I'd take a pickup game style offense over ours. Typically offenses should be doing these things 1. getting your best players the ball in their sweet spots 2. get the ball constantly moving until the finishing move 3. be in constant attack mode 4. be unpredictable. We have not even a hint of that in this offense. Here we are again looking like the same group as last year despite having more talent and experience. It's more painful to watch for that reason. Even Lewis and Mann looked like pass-first passive players who overthink. Let me be clear that this is not a plea for a new coach, I want the same coach to run a different system and after years of failure you would think that he'd now admit it's a bad system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If he hasn’t changed in 5 years, don’t hold your breath.

3. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How in the world do we at least not mix it up and try something different when what we are doing isn’t working? We look so apprehensive on both ends of the court.

• Like Like x 1
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    We can’t say it’s a “system failure”, because it has and does work elsewhere.

So- has it been personnel? Perhaps, but this team is loaded with skill, speed and athleticism.

Is there a mismatch at pg? Maybe. We know Andrew has played slower than the ddo would dictate, but a year ago that was under the stated direction of White. But what happened today, and how much of a conclusion do we draw from this outing?

Is it that White can’t effectively teach the system he employs? Certainly possible, but his La tech teams played fast and scored.

Is it a scenario in which the freedoms and player decision-making within the ddo require a cohesion we just don’t have two games into the season? Maybe. But we have seen these type struggles deep into the year.

As you can tell- I don’t have answers. But as deflated as I am following a 5 hour drive for this dud... I’m not going to draw any final conclusions from this game.

While this isn’t a make or break year for White- it is for this offensive system at Florida. I agree with the suggestion that if we can’t install/effectively run it with this group... we can’t do it. But I’m not ready to make that declaration. And I’m not a guy who likes the ddo.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    We did. And screwed that’s up to.

6. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    There's obviously some potential with this offense but it's critical to have a PG who can fly with the ball to create transition offense or score off the dribble consistently. When your PG plays at a slow pace and can't create off the dribble (can't even take the ball up the court), you've got to wonder how the heck he even made the Canadian national team over some pro PGs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    He was awful today. Didn't even look like he belonged at a major program. There will be better days, but you have to wonder what this team's ceiling is if they play at the plodding pace he seems to prefer. He never once looked to do anything but walk the ball up the floor.

8. KAGator67

KAGator67 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    The football team scored more points than the basketball team this weekend.

What a dud of a game.

9. KAGator67

KAGator67 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    They sure shut down Blackshear ... 0 for 5 FG... 0 for 2 three's

10. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    The offense generated open shots and the players missed them. How is that the coach’s fault? How many wide open 3s did we have, 6-10?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    It's not just whether we shot open or contested 3s, but when in the shot clock those 3s are being attempted and were they the shots we wanted. If we just dribble or pass it around the perimeter for 25-30 seconds then shoot late in the shot clock, those aren't the 3s we want. Open or not, they're often rushed and off-balanced...maybe not the guy shooting we want...and/or perhaps not shot with the confidence needed. More goes into shooting than just getting clean looks. Right shot, right time, right shooter, with confidence. Can we say we repeatedly accomplished that? If so, we can live with the results. But I think we all know that many times that was not the case...and has been that way for a while in this offense, regardless of who's playing.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Key to shooting 3 point shot. Shooting IN RHYTHM.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    FSU made Chiozza look bad too, a couple of years ago.

I figured AN would get the ball to Mann or Lewis, even outlet to them for transition chances. If in halfcourt Mann or Lewis would slash to the bucket or AN would work to feed KB. Work the offense in then out.

Could see some panic in the players eyes in the 2nd half. Maybe this is a huge wake up call?? For both the players and coaches.

14. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    “Hack a Shaq” D, inside. Didn’t have the shot from the outside, though...had open looks. They let him shoot from outside. He hit those game 1. Missed vs FSU.

15. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    This may be completely off base but when I’m watching it looks like a style you’d see an upper classmen senior heavy team run.

16. gatordd

gatordd Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    It's time to look for a new system offensively, I agree. I am not a fan of DDO and while it does work elsewhere it's both painful to watch and susceptible to failure if personnel can't break down the opponent off the dribble consistently. Would love to see some motion with this personnel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Reading all these threads I am so glad I had to work all day yesterday and completely forgot about this game. I won't even bother watching the replay. Sounds like I've seen this game before anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. toddrl

toddrl GC Legend

Jan 22, 2019
    Ideally it is as it takes a lot of time to master and you need 5 guys in sync most all of the time to get consistently good looks. Was hoping we'd not be running nearly as much DDO with so many new parts and a true threat down low in KB

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    While I thought our performance at home 2 years ago was also unacceptable, that was an fsu team that would eventually play in the elite 8. We also had just come back from the Nike tourney in Portland and looked totally flat. We also had a small team 2 years ago that was not well suited for fsu's size. AN is 6'4 and not 5'10. This is also a mediocre fsu team that will not sniff the 2nd weekend of the ncaa tourney this season. Enough with the fsu length argument. We got stomped by a crap team and looked intimidated in the process.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. g8rboy

g8rboy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I don't really know the ins and outs of any offensive style; but standing around and not moving at all without the ball, that cannot be a part of any offense, can it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1