Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This needs to be fixed!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by timmy1, Jan 9, 2018.

1. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Did a two BAD-loss osu team deserve to be in over a one loss Bama team? Of course not.

Sometimes conference champions are really average teams. I remember when the ACC championship game was between Wake Forest and Georgia Tech. Would you really want a 4 loss GT team in the playoffs over a one loss SEC team?

Conference championships are meaningless when the conference stinks. Why reward weak conferences by gaurenteeing them a playoff spot?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Alabama and Georgia both have a loss to Auburn. Georgia got the rematch to win the SEC. Alabama beat the SEC champion. I think this outcome is fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kosovo
    In principle, agree 100%. That doesn’t mean I’m not glad Alabama weaseled in anyway. They were the one team I was certain could beat Georgia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Hall of Fame

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

with a 4 team playoff then conference championships is meaningless. If you want the conference to mean anything then expand the playoff and have Conference Champ as automatic bids

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. bperkins10

bperkins10 GC Hall of Fame

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I would suggest getting rid of the conference championship games and use that week for the first round of an eight game playoff. I believe that the conferences would end up making just as much money.

6. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    It needs to be expanded to eight teams and then never touched again. Automatic bids for Power 5 conference champs make the conference championship relevant. 3 at-large bids take away the complaining about a non-conference champ winning it all. There should be an OOC quality factor at well. Reward the teams that schedule (and win) the toughest OOC slates when choosing at-large teams and seeding the tournament.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    We argue the system every year but why it's not done like the other divisions can be explained only one way....greed. The current 4 team fake playoff wasn't made for fans! Every sport does it with conference champions and/or wild cards but not D1! There is no excuse! Polls..voters...are all just fake creators of a FAKE playoff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Stop.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  9. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Nothing will be fixed after the ratings that game got but....

I'm all for conference champs getting automatic seeds. Of course that means we'll either need to expand the playoffs (bye week?), or consolidate conferences. Either way, its all good.

10. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    The best team won

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I think it works just fine. That's why they play the games. I think some think they can pick the champ by votes. We will never have an undisputed playoff bracket no matter how many teams we use. These titles the last twenty years are won on the field and besides 04 auburn, I don't think any other team has an obvious gripe. Way more legit than the Bear's titles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 GC Legend

Feb 2, 2015
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    I have posted this before, but if I were in charge of College Football, I would:

Go to a 16 team playoff. First round is the Conf Championships. 2 teams from each Major Conf get in. That weekend stays the same except for you add 3 wild card games on the same weekend. This year it could have been:

Bama
    Penn St
    Washington
    UCF
    ND
    Mich State/LSU

Those were the next highest ranked teams that did not go to a Conference Champ game. Those teams would play each other the same weekend as the Conf Championships where the highest ranked would play the lowest ranked at a neutral site.

The 8 winners from these games would be re-seeded and play an 8 teams playoff. Effectively you have 5 Conference winners and 3 at large, but those at large did not get an advantage by not playing in the conference (OK maybe a little advantage, because you will argue that Bama would have an easier game against Mich St/LSU than Georgia/Auburn and Penn State easier than OSU/Wisc).

You could go to 16 teams by adding 1 weekend and 3 games.

In this case the Conf Championships still mean something (Win and Advance).

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Only in an 8team playoff would I like conf champions . If a four loss team ended up winning, kudos in hindsight to the strength of said conference.

14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The flaw in this plan is that you're automatically eliminating the teams that go to their conference championship game and lose. Those teams may still be better than some of the teams that did not go to a conference championship game.

16 teams is too many. For obvious reason, football can't be scheduled like basketball. 8 should be the max number of teams

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    This, but I don't want it to go to 16 teams. 8 is fine.

Can you imagine the ratings bonanza from something like this?
    Plus, in your scenario UCF gets a shot to go to the title game.

Edit: after reading Skink's comment, I would add that the committee then picks the top 8 teams after all these games. That way a 4-loss conference champ could still conceivably be eliminated from the playoffs.

Texas in 1996 comes to mind.

16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

This. Conversely, and to my previous point above, if two teams playing for their conference championship are both ranked in the top 5, and the loser were to come out of it with only 1 loss, they might still be worthy of participating in an 8 team playoff.

And FWIW, 1996 worked out just fine, thank you.

17. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 GC Legend

Feb 2, 2015
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    You are eliminating the conf champ losers, because in my case the playoffs start conf champ week. There is not a lot of difference in my 16 team playoff than an 8 team playoff where the conf champions get automatic bids except for the fact the 3 at large teams ALSO have to play win or go home games the same weekend.

18. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    This angst about not being a national champ if you didn't win your conference is entirely built on historical bias and the "voting" method of producing champions. Nobody complains in college hoops, the NFL or any other college tourney sport (baseball etc) when a team that lost previously wins. I get that some folks like the whole "regular season matters" but money has driven us toward a tournament format. And do not forget that plenty of teams got screwed in the old "voting" system.

A tournament is the fairest way - win and be champs. Sorry, but playing for the championship, not voting, is the best way to determine the champion.

As for UCF this year - cry me a river. PLENTY of worthy teams have been denied championships over the years. They were denied a shot at a championship. They were NOT denied a championship. Great season UCF and welcome to people caring that you got the short stick as does happen in life.

The playoff needs to be expanded to something like the 5 conference champs (use those as play ins so they still matter) and 3 vote ins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’m not eliminating anybody. What I’m saying is, if you have these 8 other teams playing each other, and the 4 winners play the 4 (5?) conference champs in an 8 team playoff, your plan by definition eliminates the 4 teams that made it to their conf championship game and lost. I’m saying one or more of those 4 teams may well be better than some of the 8 outside teams

20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The reason nobody complains about the b-ball tourney is that 64 teams get in. If you can’t make that cut you shouldn’t be playing for a national championship anyway. Football will have a much higher cut and therefore more chance for a “deserving” team to feel screwed if they don’t make it

• Agree Agree x 2