Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This just proves one thing...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorzilla91, Oct 6, 2019.

1. gatorzilla91

gatorzilla91 Junior

Nov 21, 2014
    How Mullen should’ve been hired back in 2014. He has truly brought this program back to life. No way in hell would he have run off Will Grier or let all those players get in trouble the way they did.

I don’t regret the Muschamp hire he was a hot name and you live and learn BUT I can’t believe I got suckered by the McElwain hire.

Thank goodness for Scott S doing what needed to be done. Better late than never!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  2. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

If Foley didn't let his ego get in the way, CDM, probably would have been coach years ago..

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    It’s a good thing we have snot strictlung now.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Teaser title.....o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

At least...

We have the right guy...right now...

And, with Hevesy, Grantham and Savage and Co...

We have the coach, the staff....
    And now...
    We have the SWAMP back!

Forward...forward...
    Yeah, baby!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Muschamp was a FG by BYU at ND away from playing for a national title in year 2 and folks here made posts like this. Mac won the east his first two years and folks here made posts like this. And yet here we are again crowning someone in year 2.
    That’s not to say Mullen won’t be the guy...he very might be, but success isn’t a season and a half. The last two coaches should have taught us that.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    You may be correct BUT there is a world of difference in how the program is operating presently. Also the way we are playing exciting football and SandC is leading to strength and not injury’s says you are probably off base with your assessment. I get pumping the brakes to temper expectations i say step on the gas and hang on for the ride, currently it is 10 games and counting.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    TOG had a roster with enough Meyer recruits to make a difference. His DC won more games for UF than the HBC in his second year. He went down hill fast from the roster he inherited by allowing holes in his roster at positions of need and his coaching ineptness eventually led to losses to Vandy and Georgia Southern. He and Mac were cheap and easy hires for Foley and UF got what they paid for (unless you figured out what Foley paid for each win with their golden parachutes included).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I think it was good that he got to coach at a major program (SEC) before so that the pressure of being the head coach at Florida would not be so overwhelming as it clearly was for Zook, Muschamp and McElwain. We are seeing that even coaches with previous head coaching experience are having problems with new teams, and some of them went to programs which had a lot of success before their arrival (save UCLA).

This was the perfect timing to come, because the defensive reputation of the program remained fairly intact. What was lacking is a coach who knew the offensive side of the ball.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MyakkaGator

Now.... We need the ELITE recruits.

We do this and the puzzle is complete.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. rump74

rump74 Premium Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Myers, FL
    2012 was an incredibly satisfying year for me as a fan. I loved the way that team scratched and clawed. 3/4 through the season I saw no progress though and that concerned me.

During Macs tenure I saw 2 games of progress, then WG was suspended.

Last year, for the first time in a decade we saw consistent progress. Plenty of season left, but I'm seeing progress again this year. Tackling was better vs AU, OL was better vs AU, I thought the DBs played their best game of the year vs AU.....

When Trask went down my immediate thought was "Oh sh#!!". My confidence in EJ was very very shaky. By the time Trask came back out on the field (I'm a Trask fan boy) I was thinking "KEEP EJ IN!". The QB position, OL, roster and program are improving. As previously pointed out, elite recruiting is the final piece and I remain optimistic that it will fall into place.

As you pointed out - its been a season and a half. At what point do you start buying in and enjoying the ride?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Nailed it. Different means to the same end. All 3 may have had successful early years but none are the same.

First 2 had no experience running a program like Florida.

In hindsight Dan Quinn was the brains behind 2012. Our defenses were still good after but as you said, the holes in the offensive talent were many and we all know now that our offensive philosophy was not going to change.

Mac was foolsgold after ole miss. He earned a lot of credit after that game as well as a down sec east. Learning after the fact that he didn't even have a competent strength and conditioning program is mind boggling.

Mullen has showed progress. Outside of the Missouri game I wpuld say our progress has been continuous. Even the Georgia game was a positive because he outschemed them for the game until injuries and nerves from key players took us out of it.

Shore up recruiting and I find it hard to poke holes in the program he is running at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MyakkaGator

I agree with everything you said except for the OL... I see very little growth.

Hevesy is a wizard... We just have to get true SEC caliber personnel to build that line.. That's going to take time.

Don't get me wrong, they're doing somewhat decent pass protection but they're by not blowing anyone off the ball and the running game is pure evidence of that.

On the upside and to their credit though... That could possibly be the toughest defensive line they see all season and that experience will help them improve.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    I know I am getting old so my memory might be slipping some, but I seem to remember you were a staunch McElwain supporter and would trash those that were calling for his termination (me included). It wasn’t “getting suckered”, this went on until the very end. If I’m wrong - I sincerely apologize. Having said that, it’s nice to see you’ve come around!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

If you can’t see the difference I certainly can’t help you. Good luck the rest of the way

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. gatorbite00

gatorbite00 Sophomore

Feb 2, 2019
    Port Orange
    Hey Skink. Port Orange here...

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Or SOS would have never been a cock

• Like Like x 1
  18. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Rip off the rear view mirror and look ahead. It's great to be a Florida Gator!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. gator1gear

gator1gear Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Hiram, Ga
    I think the Mullen/Driskel combo would have been awesome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    16-3

• Winner Winner x 1