Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This has got to be one of the sloppiest ball handling teams I've seen at Florida

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Feb 20, 2021.

1. flgatr1

flgatr1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    jacksonville, florida
    Also unfortunately, whenever Scottie Lewis goes in, he has been a liability as of late. Nobody asked me, but he has too many minutes playing until his playing improves. Concerning the turnovers, there was a really good college coach named Tates Locke that said turnovers should never be more than 16 max. Otherwise you won't win. That doesn't always hold true, but it sets the guidelines. Protecting the ball is so important because you can't score without it, and the other team can't score if they don't have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    You're right about Lewis. He shows flashes, but to me he's by far the biggest disappointment on the Gators this year. He has to be able to give them more if the Gators are going to do anything the rest of the year.

In his last 6 games, Lewis has played 18 minutes or less in 4 of those 6 games. He also has 14 TO's in those 6 games. He's currently averaging close to 2 TO's per game for the season, almost double from last year. Prior to the past 6 games, Lewis played at least 24 minutes in every other game. He's also only averaging 6 ppg in his last 6 games. Last year, there were only 2 games the entire year he played less than 20 minutes. Granted some of this is due to foul trouble, but there are fouls that could definitely be avoided. The other big issue compared to last year is free throws. His free throw % is down from 82% to 72%.

3. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I'm just guessing, but since Lewis is no longer starting, once he goes in he probably feels an urgency to have an impact. That is resulting in overly aggressive ticky tack fouls and ill advised passes/shots, which then return him to the bench. Kind of a vicious cycle for a talented kid. Hope he and the coaches figure things out soon. He is too talented to be buried on the bench.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Im positive Grantham is responsible somehow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, but they're getting worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Now that you mention it...

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    I don’t know about the talented thing, when he shoots, I hold my breath. Normally before he shoots, I wish it was someone else pulling the trigger. His ball handling at times and passing could use some work. Overall, a great defensive player due to his speed and spider body. My question I always ask myself, will his offense ever be consistent enough for him to get accolades and get the pros hungry for him so he can continue his basketball career and make some of that funny money. The jury is out on this!

8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

A Mike Miller would be nice! But, heck, we could use Dan Werner who was a very capable post entry passer. (One of several skills Werner had which he seldom gets, or got, credit for on here.). Our only capable post entry passer from last season is playing for Gonzaga this year. :rolleyes:

Good post entry passing can lead to a lot of points for the team - particularly when you have a player like Castleton who can score with his back to the basket - even though it doesn't get a lot of appreciation from most people as the good post entry pass often doesn't even get reflected in the stats as an assist (if the post player uses some of that good back-to-the-basket footwork before scoring).