Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This has got to be one of the sloppiest ball handling teams I've seen at Florida

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Feb 20, 2021.

1. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Locke missed some really easy wide open 3 point shots in the 2nd half that should have made the game more comfortable. He's got to hit those going forward.

Appleby has got to clean up his turnovers. 5 of them at the pg spot just can't happen.

Most of all imo is Lewis has to start playing much better. In his last 3 games he has 9 pts and 8 TO's in total. The Gators need a lot more from him if this team is going to start playing better.

Just glad we got the much needed W on a night we had 20 TO's. Auburn is a winnable game on Tuesday, but going to have to play better to win on the road.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    This is from Chris Harry:

UF, which had lost two straight and had only played two games this month due to COVID-19 pauses, turned the ball over 20 times, including eight in the last seven minutes, and hit just one of 13 attempts from the 3-point line, but built a big enough cushion through the first two-thirds of the contest to hold off the Bulldogs.

FINAL: Florida 70, Georgia 63 - Florida Gators

I guess the 1 for 13 number on treys is from the 2nd half.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Its well known how I feel about even the hiring of Mike White, but i admit that beating UGA is always a positive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Taking care of the ball needs to be THE focus this week. It's not winning basketball. I've said all season that Appleby needs to be the starting point guard. But he can't be that guy with stats like this.

5. shaun10

shaun10 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Totally agree. I just wonder if these guys aren't very smart. You can have all the physical talent in the world, but if your sport iq is low, you will forever be inconsistent and never play at the highest level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Scottie looks lost.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    IMO, Scottie is a ball of energy that has yet to be channeled properly. I believe it will start falling in place for him and when it does he'll be a very good player.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I feel like for him this is 100% mental. He’s too willing to defer, and that just gets him into a role player mentality. I don’t get the feeling that he believes he is great. If he starts playing with confidence, he will be solid. If he continues on the current path, he will be Kasey Hill 2.0.

9. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Gators better come ready to play against Auburn or they could easily end the regular season with a 3 game losing streak. The game against UK is most likely a loss and Missouri isn’t a pushover.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    As much as I hate to say it, I feel like Scottie might be wise to transfer. I can't believe I just said that. But he's a guy with huge potential that might just need a change to reach it. I hope he eventually realizes his potential at UF and then the NBA, but I wouldn't blame him one bit if he were to try another option. I would hate to see him go though. I do not want to see him go down the Kasey Hill 2.0 route.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    It could very well be mental. These kids receive all of these accolades when in high school and then when things don't go the way they envisioned some of them have a hard time bouncing back. I don't feel that way with Scottie. I harken back, once again, to Casey Prather and how he had to adjust to the tempo of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Sorta like a puppy pissing on the rug right now unfortunately

13. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Man... Hall, I feel you but Casey Prather was and is a dog. I mean, he got after it offensively like nothing we’ve ever seen from Scottie Lewis. Casey was out there with A1 mentality from tip-off to the final buzzer. I just don’t see any similarity between the these two guys’ dispositions. If Scottie does in fact become Casey Prather-like, then he will be a completely different player and asset to the team.

14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Scottie just doesn’t seem to be able to lock in mentally for more than a few minutes at a time. It’s really bizarre.
    He also doesn’t seem to have a role in offense, which might be why he checks out. He isn’t a slasher, he isn’t a three point guy really, he isn’t an inside guy, so I think he struggles to find where to contribute and it bleeds over to everything else.

15. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Think back to how quickly Casey was jerked from the lineup by Billy for being out of control. I think there is a similarity and if my memory doesn't fail me Casey was quick to pick up fouls early on too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Maybe I just remember Casey at his best.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    One thing that bears keeping in mind. These kids are not responsible for the ratings they receive but often they are expected to live up to them. I also think at times it is not fair to the young players as they probably feel a burden to meet those expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. wa_gatorfan

wa_gatorfan Sophomore

Oct 3, 2019
    If I'm coaching against our Gators I just double the ball handler on every screen-roll action. Our guys didn't handle that well at all

19. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Casey was a non-entity his first two years at UF, a minor cog as a junior and an absolute beast as a senior.

As for Scottie, right now he's bringing energy, lots and lots of energy. But he's not helping the team much if he doesn't match the energy with skill, and Scottie has not been skillful on offense or defense this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Yeah, and I have think that whoever rates these guys cannot really watch the very minute of every game that thousands of players play. I’m sure it’s a lot of highlight reel watching going on. Everyone looks good when the shots they miss and turnovers are edited out. If I knew I was being taped, my 40+ year old self could make you think I was the next Allen Iverson. What you wouldn’t see is that I went 8-26 from the field with six airballs.

• Agree Agree x 1