Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This has got to be one of the sloppiest ball handling teams I've seen at Florida

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Feb 20, 2021.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    20 TOs and a lot of them were unforced.

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. GolphinGator

GolphinGator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    The unforced turnovers got UGA back close at the end of the game along with not being able to hit wide open shots from outside the second half.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I hope that some of this is due to the crazy season we have had but I'm not sure of that.

• Like Like x 3
  4. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    From the stat sheet, I only counted 19 TO's but it is still a lot from Florida's point guards. Appleby needs to stop dribbling into traffic without anyplace to throw the ball to a teammate! There were times Mann got caught lifting up his dribble - either it was a 5 second count/turnover or White had to burn a time out to avoid a turnover.

However, I thought that Glover had a very solid game off the bench: 11 pts (4/5 FG's), 2 reb, 2 TO, 1 A

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Florida is 227th in the country in turnover percentage, easily the worst mark in the Mike White era

• Informative Informative x 9
  6. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    What's your take on it, Eric? How much could be attributed to on-again, off-again practice, and play?

7. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Before missing those recent games, we seemed to be tightening up our ballhandling/passing, particularly Appleby. But, this is what I feared we'd look like more often when we lost Nembhard. But, we've gotten much looser with the ball the last couple of games, particularly Appleby. Hope he and the rest of the team tighten that up again real soon!

My howls-per-game (football and basketball) have dropped over the years to where I usually only scream out once or twice a game these days. But, I must have yelled out in frustration about a dozen times today, including:

- several times in the both halves over Appleby's adventures.
    - the 2nd time (early in the 2nd half) Mann got trapped out top and no one :mad: came to the ball to try to help out.
    - the horrific turnover by Lewis with about 1:35 left in the game when he flipped the ball to Mann with a (predictably) lunging defender right there who knocked the ball away for a steal. That was a totally preventable turnover if you just take proper care of the ball.

I also had a big question mark on why Mann didn't take the wide open three off the screen with about 50 seconds to go after we had run the shot clock down to under 10. Instead, Mann threw the ball to a covered Appleby on the left wing who had to launch a highly contested three instead. I just don't understand what the possible logic could be sometimes. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Appleby had 2 assists and 5 TOs today. Last game it was 2 assists and 7 turnovers.
    Glover today was 1 assist and 2 turnovers.

as a team it was 9 assists and 20 TOs today. Not sure how we were even in the game, let alone won.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I was just telling my wife that they were playjng real sloppy down the stretch. Fortunate to hang on.

Also, noticed that they tended to dribble away form the basket and often toward a corner. Nothing good there. Confuses me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    This is harsh for me to say, but to me it's mostly low basketball I.Q. on our players' part. I watch the game and I'm like no don't go that way they are going to trap you! Either that, or they are attempting passes that have no chance. None of our players have elite ball-handling skills, and they should realize that when they are on the court. Don't try to do too much. One thing that frustrates me is Noah Locke dribbling from the wing to the foul line then picking up his dribble and swiveling on his pivot foot five times desperately looking for an open man to pass to. C'mon man, you are a D1 player... work on your game.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Lockes inability to generate a 3 off the bounce has been puzzling.

He's either set to catch and release or hes not getting a 3pa.

It's frustrating because he's been good enough at attacking off the dribble that the scouting has caught up and he's able to get defenders off the line. He needs to start using that to generate his own space.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I just watched yesterday’s game with a buddy who’s a die hard Kentucky guy and both of us came away with the same thought ... this team seems to have no feeling ,identity or point to what they are trying to do on offense. It feels like I’m watching dudes play at the park. Screens are very often pointless bec the ball handler doesn’t set them up or use them correctly. Imo ddo is nearly impossible to use without players that have elite first steps to turn the corner and then get to the rack. There’s a reason why coaches have ran pick and roll and back door cuts for a million years , THEY WORK. I’m not trying to get down on them but they’re a tough watch all the time. I try to cut slack bec of shutdowns , just seems like they don’t even know what they’re even trying to do. 1 dude dribbling , 4 dudes standing.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    If we had a really good 1 then Locke would be deadly. If u have a guy that can break down the defense off the dribble then guys like Locke can eat all night. Doesn’t help that he doesn’t get a ton of lift on his shot so when his man is only a few feet off of him he gets the distanced closed very quickly. He passes up a ton of shots he shouldn’t

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 All American

Nov 26, 2013
    Yep, I posted this in the game thread on how I don't like our offensive sets when we go up. It seems to happen when we go up by double digits. We just start bouncing the ball to drain the clock and that takes us off our game. It drives me crazy.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s exactly how I felt watching the game yesterday. Of course, I only caught the last 3.5 minutes when we were predictably in offensive shutdown mode, but seems like this is really who we are right now. 1 and done in the Tourney, I presume.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s part of the territory when you are playing without a “pure” PG. Appleby and Mann are both more create off the dribble guards. Both are very loose with the ball. It’s a bit of a style of play trade off, you can accept some level of additional turnovers if guys are pushing things and making plays. They aren’t going to have double digit assist games, but they do give you the scoring pop.

I still think our offense is improved over last year. But bottom line is 20 turnovers is rough, and a bunch of those yesterday were just careless. No matter what style of play you are going with, you have to clean up the “bad” ones as a team. It isn’t just the guards either, giving it to Castleton far away from the basket seems like a bad idea. He also needs to get better recognizing double teams, since teams are starting to defend him and maybe gameplan that.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Frustrating because there’s no doubt enough talent to do damage in March. Play the 2 bigs together please. Tre app cc Omar and Locke.

18. hobegator

hobegator Junior

May 16, 2017
    Hobe Sound
    It was only through terrible shooting by GA that we were up at the half.

You kind of expect sloppiness like this at the beginning of the year. Even with the erratic shutdowns, this team has played a decent amount of ball together this by now. Hope we can get it cleaned up over the next few games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep. With 3:30 left we were up 15. IIRC the next 4 possessions we had a pretty quick turnover. 2 minutes later, UGA was within either 6 or 4.

The turnovers weren't down low, so a number of them led to quick, easy runout baskets.

I don't buy that we were going into shutdown per se. We just turned the damn ball over. The last three games, I wonder what was our scoring difference that last 4 min.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Add to that, our failure to search for a good shot, and love of the three is a recipe for disaster. It almost happened yesterday. That was an uncomfortable game to watch. You could almost see it coming.....even when we were up by 12 points.

• Agree Agree x 1