Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Things that Need to Happen This Summer / 5 Gators Ready for Breakout Seasons

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, May 27, 2018.

1. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Florida Gators Football: Things UF needs to happen this summer

Biggest Thing - STAY OFF THE POLICE BLOTTER

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

5 Gators Ready for Breakout Season

Jawaan Taylor

The 6’5, 330 lb tackle was primed for a breakout last year, but with all the drama surrounding the program, it was hard for most of the players to be consistent. Taylor possesses the athletic ability, and nasty streak in the run game, it takes to be a very good tackle, capable of playing on either side of the line. Taylor could form a very good combo opposite the highly decorated Martez Ivey.

Kadarius Toney
    Kadarius Toney can literally do it all as an offensive weapon. The sophomore out of Alabama, has the highest potential to breakout. At 5’11, 195 lbs, Toney has the electric ability to stop and go on a dime, that makes it hell for a defense, once he gets his hands on the ball. Getting better at receiver is the next step for him. Being ask to play the slot is a very important position in a Dan Mullin Passing game.

Malik Davis

Davis rushed for 562 yards, on 79 attempts, and two touchdowns, with 6.7 yards a pop. The 5’11, 195 lb sophomore will definitely benefit in the new scheme, a power-zone based run game. Davis could use the vision he showed as a freshman, and become one of the best backs to come through Gainesville.

The running back position is the deepest on the team, and I could have easily chosen Jordan Scarlett as the breakout, since he missed last year. Real Gator fans know Scarlett can be a star.
    Ventrell Miller
    If Vosean Joseph continues to show the inconsistency he showed in 2017 (that’s being light), look for the hard-hitting red-shirt freshman to possibly take his job.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
    Over his first two seasons, Gardner-Johnson has flashed All-Conference playmaking ability. He has the ability to play every position in the defensive backfield.

5 potential breakout players for Florida Football | isportsweb

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorcloud

gatorcloud GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Between his recovery and a loaded backfield I don't see Malik having a break out season. If he gets over 500 yards again rushing I would see that as a success.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    It's gonna be fun watching Davis, Scarlett and Toney running with the ball.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Anyone that thinks we're in some sort of "re-building" year is full o'crap. There's tons of talent spread out all over this team. And if we can get Grimes and Jefferson to play this coming season then our receivers will be one of the best in the nation... and we'll have one of the best groups of DB's and DL in the conference.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    All true, but what are we going to get out of the QB spot this year? It all comes down to Franks, Trask, and Jones...2 of whom have never played college football.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I agree with Doering, Trask should get the nod. Followed by Jones

7. SuperMOM

SuperMOM Senior

Jan 31, 2016
    I hope Davis redshirts and comes back healthy next year. If he comes back this year, he'll be thinking about the knee all year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree to an extent. Talent is better than 100+ other programs, so any kind of above average coaching is going to noticeably move the needle.

Unfortunately though, QB has far too many potential problems (again), OL needs to prove they can be at least mediocre (though scheme should help), and 3/4 of our opponents are in that group that has equal or better talent.

If the measure is actually winning 8 or more, then we may very well be rebuilding. If we're talking about being in every single game with a real shot to win, then I think that's likely.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Wow, another Hijacked Thread. That is so common here, and, admittedly, I frequently do it myself. The title says: 5 POSSIBLE BREAKOUT PLAYERS.

It's hard to disagree with the list. For those of you who doubt Malik Davis's possibilities, you may perhaps recall that the 2007 and 2008 Gators under Mullen's tuteledge, had 3 RBs who averaged 7-9 yds per carry - Harvin, Demps & Rainey. Now, last year, Toney averaged 9.4 yds per carry on 29 rushes. This year, he'll be the Harvin Substitute and, he's got a lot in common with Harvin. It's not so much the total yardage that's important, although that's certainly important, it's the gain per play that really matters. With the Single Wing, 4 yds per carry was fine, but that's no longer true today. The same is true for receptions

Personally, I expect the D to improve vastly over last year, just like the 2008 Defense improved vastly over 2007, and for exactly the same reason - One Additional Year's Experience for almost everyone (only 2 real losses on D - Bryan and Dawson). I said this before 2008 also because when your Defensive Backfield is almost exclusively Frosh, YOU ARE IN HUGE TROUBLE, and thanks to injuries, etc. last year, that proved the case by mid season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Nice Themistocles.
    Hijacking my thread.
    HAAA!
    Good thoughts my man.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Montanagator

Montanagator All American

Dec 13, 2009
    Nothing good happens after midnight. Good advice for players then and now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. eViLG

eViLG All American

Aug 18, 2013
    Ocoee, FL
    How do you feel about our OL and QB situation?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    In the old days on campus they used to have the Rathskeller, I'm dating myself here, not sure if anything like that still exists. Too bad there isn't a football version of that, a special 'private club' so these kids could never leave campus and lower the probability of getting into trouble. Have parties, invite babes. In the old days they used to have the "Gator Getter's" too. I remember that ominous group of babes that influenced a players decision to come to Florida. Anyway, an on-campus place where they could have fun.;)

Oh yeah...those five players will have a breakout year...thanks Mule. No hijacking here...:rolleyes:

Go Gators.:)

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Less than 100 days you all !
    Pretty kewl !

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    The view from here
    We'll be MUCH improved from last year.
    I see improvement at all positions across the board.
    Well .. kicking and punting .. but we should be ok there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    The difference with the last two hires was when we hired them we all hoped and prayed it would work out. We got some false positives in the process and lost years of our lives as well. Now we have a guy that was a major part of 'our' natty's. Mullen has Gator blood running through his veins. Naturally, we move forward with some consternation, but this time it just feels better with absolutely zero evidence yet to prove it all-but I feeeeels it!

The spread or some hybrid offense Mullen brings to town is better. His experience with QB's is better. The asst coaches are way better. There is a new feeling on campus that is infectious and thankfully it isn't something you need to go get checked out with at the infirmary.

So...we patiently await the season, somewhat gleeful and excited and for good reason. Do we need more stud players? Yes, we do. Can we perform with the group we have? Yes we can. Will the kids be in better shape? Yes they will. Will the fans be ready to do their part. You bet we are! Is there a chance Gator fans will be disappointed? Yes, there is! Let us review: Gator fans are disappointed and critical even when we win. (Please review all past game threads)

If you made it this far, hang on I'm almost done!

My Italian teacher used to say to me because I was pissed and I wasn't learning Italian like instantly; "Piano, piano, si fatta roma!" It's a saying/colloquialism that basically means... Rome wasn't built in a day. So along with all of our optimism, we might, (for our own well-being), need to temper our expectations with at least some patience...

Naaaaaaa! Natty, year one!:p:eek::ninja3:

Go Gators.;):D

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  18. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Natty Year One
    Dis guy MalScott
    I like da way he tinks.

19. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Thanks Mule - this one is well thought out and well conceived. Perhaps the most important single line in this article is the following: "The tiniest details are being scrutinized and that lends itself to likely slower, but in the long run, better results."

This is the different between the Japanese/Chinese was of approaching learning, and the Western Method. There are benefits from both approaches, and no single one works best for all things or all players.

However, in a game like Football, where error determines success/failure for about 85-95% of plays, this approach tends to substantially reduce error.

The Healing of Heggie, Davis and Jefferson are important, with likely Heggie being the most important (with OLine being the thinnest position on the team regarding high quality players). Jefferson is 2nd most important and Davis, given the depth of quality at RB is the least important, but may, in fact, be the best player on the Gator team (there are several one could make excellent arguments for).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    I didn’t realize Malik only had 2 TDS. He’s good for double digits if we can block and use him properly.