Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Things not looking good for Egbunu

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jul 8, 2018.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wish him all the best going forward, but it looks like a playing career is not in the cards.

Did he get his degree? If not, can he get a scholarship?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    D Wade had similar issues from surgery while at Marquette. Was able to play on knee for many years, but became more challenging with wear and tear that comes with age. More challenging with a big due to size and weight. Sorry for Big John

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ballastpointgator

ballastpointgator Senior

Jun 16, 2018
    Sucks to hear. Wish him the best and hope he got his degree or has the opportunity to do so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Good questions. Not sure of the answers but I'll see what I can dig up.

• Like Like x 2
  6. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

Echo the sentiments of the others above. Very sad to read this and hope the best for John and his family.

Thanks for sharing this @HallGator and will look for any updates available.

• Like Like x 2
  7. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    John got his degree in the spring of 17 per this report:

Egbunu graduated from Florida this spring with a sociology degree, and even though he's recovering from a left knee injury suffered in mid-February, he decided to explore his professional options. Unable to work out for NBA teams, he decided Friday to play another season for the Gators. He is expected to return in mid-January.

Florida C Egbunu to return for senior season

• Like Like x 1
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Good to know.

I wonder what the Gator Nation can do for him going forward.

• Like Like x 2
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Sounds like he should have stayed and gotten a Masters degree. Actually did us a favor by giving up his ship and allowing UF to give to another player. Best wishes big man. Hopefully he finds s doctor that can help him improve quality of life

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Anyone who suggested that Egbunu was holding himself back out of a selfish desire to prepare for the NBA or because he just wasn't tough enough to deal with pain, you should now be feeling great shame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Second all of the well wishes for John. God, I hate this outcome for him.

On a side note, how in hell does it take until now to ascertain that he is missing cartilage, with all the time he has spent with surgeons?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. hobegator

hobegator VIP Member

May 16, 2017
    Hate to see that for Big John after all he already went through. It has to be deflating after sitting out so long trying to recover. Hope he is able to overcome this disappointment.

• Like Like x 1
  13. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Cartilage is a vital component of all mobile bone situations.

That's a real shame for such a young and athletic fellow. I certainly wish him well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

Spot on. First thing I thought was how many of us (myself included) thought, said or wrote critical things of JE for not playing last year.

While I don't remember posting anything like that; if I'm honest there were times I thought: "Come on man! Just say one way or the other. This isn't fair to the team!"

You're right @MadduxFanII. I don't feel great about those thoughts now. Just goes to show that we as fans never truly know what's going on behind the scenes with these players, so it's always best to reserve judgement.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    So.. if this was figured out in a routine setting by different docs -- how did our docs not find it?

(Please correct me if my facts are off...)

16. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

I don't think your facts are off necessarily. Perhaps a better way to put it, I do not believe your question is an unreasonable one to ask, given the info as currently presented/available.

However, due to HIPAA and the various other privacy regulations protecting the health info of student athletes, it seems feasible we do not have the whole story...nor should we IMO.

Basically I'm saying we don't know that the UF docs missed, but we don't know that the Gator MDs found it either. We'll probably never know, and IMO that's as it should be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    My thoughts exactly, well done Harnett.
    Looking back I believe Egbunu and doctors knew it but were looking at any other possibilities to help his opportunity to recover and play someday for a pro team somewhere. With that going on, telling the basketball world of his condition and his playing days were probably over would have been unfair to the player/patient.

• Winner Winner x 1