Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

These CEOs swear by a five-hour working day — even though it made employees quit

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Dec 12, 2019.

1. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    These CEOs swear by a five-hour working day — even though it made employees quit

Stephan Aarstol, founder and CEO of Tower Paddle Boards — a California-based start-up backed by billionaire investor Mark Cuban — began trialing a five-hour day across the company in June 2015.

Aarstol told CNBC in a phone interview that he wanted to attract people to the company who could work three times faster than others — but he noted the five-hour day “can certainly attract the wrong people.”

“We started attracting two types of people,” he said. “One was the type we wanted, and we also attracted these sloth-like people. We had to very quickly distinguish which type of person each applicant was.”

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Since I started working from home I realized without other people interrupting me I can do my entire day in 5-6 hours.

This is going to catch on

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    since I started working at home I find myself putting in many more hours than I ever did working from an office----

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Interesting. I do get my best work done in a chick-fil-a before work but interruptions many times are coordination activities which lacks in work from home situations. Although my brother in IT has worked from home for 10-15 years, mostly talking to India when he speaks to another human, I thought there was a movement back to on premises vs work from home because of productivity concerns?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    as a government worker, doing 5 hours of work a week is pretty normal. Oh wait, you're talking 5 hours a day. Forget that.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  6. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Hall of Fame

Feb 10, 2016
    I wonder what their pay scale is? If it's on the high end of the scale, great, on the low end, not so good. I hope they get their employees to be long term ones, but I see how burnout and job dissatisfaction could become an issue. I have worked with a lot of people from labor pools and I've noticed a common thing with many of them. They start a job very motivated and hard working but when they see that pay raises and/or promotions aren't going to happen, their motivation and production goes way down and they usually leave the job shortly thereafter.

7. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    My last boss would consider 5 hours a day too challenging. She used to work at a bank.

8. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I'd take 8 hours a day right now.

9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Basically I’m given a stack of work to do for the week. If I complete it in 20 hours or 80 hours doesn’t matter. I’m paid salary so the bosses don’t care as long as it gets done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    When I set up my home office, my productivity skyrocketed. The regimen changed from waking up, handling the triple S's (sh*, shower, shave), the 45 minute commute, the time wasted in the break room and talking about the Gator game turned to crawling out of bed around 6 am, only having to perform 1 of the triple S's, and a 60 second commute to the "office". Essentially I was able to turn 3-4 hours of unproductive time into productive time. Plus, I was able to stay on top of my case load rather than having to scramble to keep up.

And some people wonder why I prefer the work at home set up. It's not for everyone, to be sure, but for those of us who can do it, it works like a Michael Foxtrot. More income, less expenses.

11. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Yep. Management and clients can tell if we are working or goofing off based on our production numbers. Easily measurable. Either it's done right and on time or it's not, and that can be measured even if we are working from the surface of the moon. Assuming we can get a good internet connection up there. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    That's how I manage. My employees know what needs to get done. I don't care when or how they do it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    all you did was exchange time wasted in the break room talking about the gators to time on gatorcountry posting about the gators ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I work from home one day a week, and it's probably my most distracting day. It's the day we usually set up doctor's appointments for the kids or other errands because my wife and I know I'll have the time since I won't have a commute. I also find the silence at home an issue, so I usually have the tv or radio on, which is often distracting. I'm also not a fan of the email/IM request from a coworker. In the office, I prefer walking over and actually discussing things face-to-face if possible. I find the lack of human interaction more distracting.

But that's just me. I can choose not to work from home, but that would make all those errands I pack into Monday hard to do. And my overall productivity isn't impacted by working home one day a week.

As for a 5-hour day, that would be difficult, since my job has me working with people who reside all over the country, and occasionally outside US borders. This time of the year, 3:00 PM local Arizona time is 2:00 on the west coast, and if I'm gone for day, that would be not good if something came up that needed immediate attention.

15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    but was she fired for less?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    pssst--don't tell the boss, keep it our secret! :alligator::D