Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

There's no good time to bring up MW's future

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by cincinnatigator, Nov 17, 2019.

1. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    We're just really bad right now in all fundamental aspects offensively. Entry passes, passing out of the post, pass-offs, spacing, screening, recognizing good shots, situational awareness, shooting (of course)......EVERYTHING. To that extent, the details of what exactly we are trying to do in the halfcourt doesn't even matter. We can't even do the most basic things.

What is that if not poor coaching/preparation during the off-season and fall practice? And to compound it all, being that we are so bad in the halfcourt, we go out of our way to slow the pace of play. Seriously, how many transition pts have we scored through 4 games? 12 or so? Half of them probably coming vs. UNF. Mind-boggling!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    This place be like....

:D:D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I think this year is highlighting the coaching issues as no longer being an anomaly. A few years back a poster said CMW looked lost during the games and not really knowing what adjustments to make. That poster was correct.

The fact is that each of his teams need the CMW "excuses" and of course always needs time. I dont get that worn out byline. I have never thought he was going to be the type of coach that would not be creative in his style but last year I lost half of my hair watching the team walk the ball up the court or extremely bad execution. What happened to the first year running up and down the court? The teams are like a cross between a 1980's Villanova and a forever Nebraska. Am thinking that CMW has shown his best and it isnt going to improve any further now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    I think most are having discussion on issues. That is what a board is for. I am not calling for change nor do I hear others. But the reality is we have talent and the style is simply....ugly...It is early and time to turn things around but there are glaring issues that seem appropriate to discuss.

1 decent half against a poor defensive team doesn’t bring me confidence. We still lost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dmgator

dmgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It actually would have been a draw in the second half but UConn decided to run out the clock instead of taking the easy 2 when they stole the ball.

6. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Problem is that the improvement you state is something you tell the team parents of a middle school team.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Sure, you could tell them too but if you guys didn't see us play better in the 2nd half I'm not going to sit here and try to convince you. Go rewatch the game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hey, don't bag on middle school teams. lol When my buddy coached his son's middle school team they ran the triangle.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    Playing decent in 1 half against a mediocre team isn’t enough to convince most fairly optimistic fans, which I consider myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    The "convincing" was we played better in the 2nd half. I don't really believe that is disputable. If others didn't see it that way so be it.

11. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    Coach White isn't getting it done. What if he hired an offensive guru to come in and run that side of the team. Didn't Billy hire a defensive guru at one point?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Yes. Larry Shyatt. He helped shape our back-to-back title teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Basically we are 0-2 against teams with a pulse in games that should be competitive games, we are 2-0 against teams we should destroy at home, but 1 of those was a nailbiter and much closer than anyone should be comfortable with.

I literally see nothing positive right now, we've unperformed in 4 straight games in my view. Bad offense. I saw a stat during the game that we were ranked worse than 275th in the NCAA in a whole bunch of offensive categories (and that probably got even worse after this game). Basically I could not have imagined a worse start to the 4 games in total. People are rightfully upset, I couldn't even imagine this place if we had not pulled it out vs. Towson and were 1-3.

That being said, I look at the season long picture and there's a long way to go. If we are a bubble team i would view that as disappointing given this talented roster. But if we are in the tourney that probably keeps coach off the hotseat. Missing the tournament is what puts SEC coaches on hotseats. But it's still way too early to see where we'll stand, a couple more out of conference losses though and we'll start looking awfully bubblicious heading into league play.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. hoopnscoopuf

hoopnscoopuf All American

Dec 3, 2011
    If the witch was someone who mildly criticized Coach White then yes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. hoopnscoopuf

hoopnscoopuf All American

Dec 3, 2011
    I’m real positive about the freshman especially Payne Mann Lewis is a Star and clutch already as a frosh. The coach has to let them run and play some full court D exactly like Billy did when we were 10 deep (a team that was a blast to watch and went to the final game with how many 5 stars?) and drove teams to exhaustion and defeat. Plus, players love to play love the freedom. Many times you win and sometimes blow them out and everybody plays! I hope we see this big necessary change (which I predict will win is a bunch of games and exponentially increased player development) or IMO, its going to be a long frustrating underachieving season. These next 3-4 games should tell the tale.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    The triangle....oh the memories! :)

17. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Playing better in one half of a loss. There you go. Boosters take note that this team played better so all is well. Let's keep this train rolling and every 4th game if they can play better in one half then all is well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I have compared Billy's first 5 years to Mike's and found that Billy was 102-56 in his first five years. Mike is currently 91-55 in his first five years with this year just starting out. He will clearly surpass Billy in victories but will also exceed Billy's totals in losses. The difference is that Billy took over a program that was considered a non factor in college basketball and turned us into a powerhouse. In his first five years we went to two Sweet Sixteens with one of those being a loss in the finals to Michigan State (a game I think we should have won).

Therein lies the difference. Mike has gotten us to one Elite 8 in the first 5 years largely with players from the Billy era. Other than that we have been an NIT and a second round out two years in a row in the tournament.

Their records in SEC play in the first 5 years are Billy 45-35 and Mike 43-29. Once again Mike will surpass Billy in wins in his first five years in the SEC and will probably also have more losses but the records are comparable.

The biggest gripe that most of us have is that Billy was given leeway because prior to Billy we had virtually accomplished nothing. In Billy's first five years with a program he had to build from scratch, he won two TWO SEC Conference Championships and a trip to the Finals. This is with a completely new program built by him and staff. Mike gets to the Elite 8 with a team built by Billy and his staff, and in five years has finished 8th in the Conference twice and 2nd and 3rd once (this year notwithstanding).

I apologize, but Mike simply cannot get the same leeway that Billy got period! This is a pivotal year for our program. Right now it is very early and there is tremendous potential if he can somehow get some level of confidence into his players which for some reason appears to be sorely lacking. Another nondescript year by our program, and I don't think this topic will be confined to these boards. He no longer has the excuse of lack of star studded players. The roster is replete with blue chip athletes who for some reason thus far are not nearly living up to their capabilities.

As most of you know I have been critical of the size of our team for several years. This problem has clearly been rectified with 4 players at 6'10" or better. Yet rebounding still appears to be an issue. A post game while improved still seems to be lacking. I am sure it will get better as chemistry develops but losing games to teams that you out talent and barely beating teams where talent is no comparison are reasons for concern.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. gator_gary

gator_gary All American

Jun 27, 2007
    Only once in mike whites last 4 years of coaching has he had a team in the top 40 of ken Pom’s efficiency rankings.

20. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Go back a couple years, I thought MW had that PSTD/shell shocked look in his eyes. No glint anymore. The fundamentals of the team would also reflect that. What we need to do for him to recapture that competitive edge, I don’t know. YMMV. I would love for him to get it turned around and have the team break out.

go Gators