Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The World needs to hold China accountable

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by defensewinschampionships, Apr 1, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Well countries with a free press have been booted out. That tells me all I need to know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Does that argument style work for you in other environments? Just curious

3. LonedawgUF

LonedawgUF GC Hall of Fame

Dec 10, 2009
    Oviedo, FL
    Here is the unfortunate truth about this. With China being an international hub of business, this virus had already spread globally by the time China even knew it was a problem. Had they come out when they new it was an issue, maybe it has slightly less of an impact but unlikely.

This is a ninja virus, you dont even know its there until its too late.

4. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Why don't you refute what is in my post rather than asking about discussion style?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I have never been as sceptical about the early reporting as the later.

China was having huge numbers daily and then someone flipped a switch and the disease seemed to just all but stop.

Maybe the numbers seemed credible early on. I dont know.

I think that while honest evaluation of our own leadership is valid, it doesn't mean we can't cal out the evil elsewhere.

We still have a free press. (Although they tend to be partisan). I feel confident in the CDC numbers. One benefit to seeing disagreement in our own leadership. POTUS, CDC, FOUCI etc... Is that freedom for disagreement exists.

In China the CDC would be controlled by the leader...as would Fouci and Birx.

Here they are not.

THAT gives us the freedom to feel safe about what we hear.

Heck the amount of info shared in this thread would be banned in China where they literally control the internet.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    This is a very interesting argument and thank you for sharing it. I think we are going to have to wait and see when after this is all over if the math/models backs up that argument.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... Premium Member

Jul 28, 2014
    And, now que the House COVID committee. We must immediately preserve and catalog all 'intelligence' gathered along the timeline leading up to January 21, 2020. This is important to prevent the WH and GOP attempts to re-write history and the facts supporting Trump be 'fired' by the people in November.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Ultimately, if we are allowed to make mistakes about things we couldn't have foreseen or weren't prepared for which cant be pinned on a person or government actor that allowed the virus to spread, why aren't the Chinese?

9. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... Premium Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Trump and his narcissistic single minded focus on protecting the vibrant economy for the benefit of his re-election blinded him from accepting US national reports and advice and led him to embrace the mis-information from China. China did as China does and to be expected and NOT trusted. The delayed WH response is 100% on the WH. A CEO who makes a catastrophic error in judgement is typically 'FIRED'. As a citizen, I wish to formally submit my 'vote of no confidence'.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. CharlestonGator

CharlestonGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    No. Multiple other countries have failed in their responsibilities to their citizens. That in no way, shape, or form excuses the failures of POTUS. We cannot, and should not, have to rely on reports from our enemies as a basis for our decision making process. I guess under your excuse making line of thought we should just eliminate all intelligence gathering services and trust whatever anybody tells us and then blame them for the misinformation when the chit hits the fan

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I admit and agree that China was the root cause of the issue. This is the not the first time they have brought such problems to the world and we learned nothing from the previous coronavirus outbreaks. That is on us and our leaders.

I only wish that you and others could acknowledge that POTUS poured fuel on the fire with his actions, or lack thereof. He made the problem exponentially worse. Why can't you acknowledge that? I don't expect China to protect US citizens, that is squarely on POTUS and the massive machine he has control of to perform that task and he failed miserably and continues to flounder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    this is the 3rd time we have seen a coronavirus get loose. Some countries learned from that and prepared for the next one after SARS and MERS. We did not. that is 100% on our leadership independent of what anybody else does. Will we learn this time?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    No doubt. Though I remember the warnings, the cautions and projections of that trade coming back to bite us in a big way that appeared in a number of publications back then. American consumers didn't listen and the trade with Asian markets mushroomed as manufacturing in the U.S. begin to shrink.

I'm not an economist or an epidemiologist. Please take my simplistic observation and add to it if you agree with any part of it. Or explain what you meant by "far too reductive." Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I will freely acknowledge that Trump could have handled this better. I said so earlier in this thread. This is just not the thread to discuss it in. This thread is to discuss how we can hold China accountable for being the root cause of this crisis and learn lessons from this outbreak that we have not from passed ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The IC is not wired to provide policy and decision makers on the needed medical details of virus outbreak. Granular details like: how a virus spreads, how contagious is it, and what it's fatality rate are not things that the IC is position to evaluate.

18. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Actually you explain it to me since you made the claim.

19. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    None the less, the US would have to act in good faith to limit the damage, which we did not. So again how can the US hold China responsible?

20. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Legend

Feb 6, 2020
    Nice troll!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1