Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The World needs to hold China accountable

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by defensewinschampionships, Apr 1, 2020.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    He has not been on top of this. His effort has been dreadful. His CDC royally screwed the pooch with the testing, after rejecting a perfectly good test from Germany. Trump spent months either ignoring or downplaying the virus despite having enough intelligence for people in Congress to dump stocks. He called the virus a hoax. He said the cases would go from 15 to 0 like a miracle. He used the flu talking point to minimize the seriousness of it. And he refused to use the Defense Production Act to ensure that we had enough PPE for our healthcare professionals.

He and his administration didn't follow the NSA playbook left behind on how to deal with a thing like this. It was an atrocious effort. And he's still hindering the effort with misinformation, pettyness, and the downplaying of the seriousness of this thing. Worst of all, MAGA Governors (like DeSantis) decided to follow Trump's lead and waited far too long to act because they didn't want to get attacked for being out of step with him.

That's not even getting into all the mistakes he made before the virus (like disbanding the pandemic response team). Be honest with myself? I am. He is no leader, and his performance in this crisis has been shameful. Be honest with yourself. (And don't even try to bring up the China "travel ban." He only banned foreign nationals.)

You're correct. That's why I'm using the numbers that the Trump administration gave us in the briefing yesterday. They said 100,000 to 250,000 dead Americans is the new target. We lost less than 120,000 Americans in WWI and less than 60,000 Americans in Vietnam.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

1. People were questioning it long before that. It started when their numbers dropped overnight.
    2. Perhaps because they are an oppressive communist government that always manipulates global information?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Yeah I understand Joe Biden's plan is much better but keep in mind this video is in hindsight. LOL

edit: OMG I didn't notice until I just posted this Joe touched his face.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. tilly

Likely true, but how in the world can we say anything with certainty?

6. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Biden wrote an op-ed expressing concern over Trump's actions and initial response to the virus in late January. This was six weeks before Trump stopped downplaying the virus and started taking it seriously. This seems like a great hill for you to die on. :emoji_joy:
    Joe Biden: Trump has weakened our capacity to deal with coronavirus

• Winner Winner x 4
  7. tilly

Is there an echo in here? :D

#agree100%

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    It will almost certainly end up a war with guns and ammo, unless we're able to pull off a miraculous feat and stave off depression.

9. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Because experts have analyzed the virus and given their two cents.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I think Pence is more dangerous than Trump from the electoral perspective, but I'd still trust him far more than Trump in handling this virus (and that's despite his history with HIV).

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. tilly

Not many experts have yet. A few here and there, but frankly there are a lot of experts that have been wrong too.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Until proven otherwise, I'll trust the experts, not the conspiracy theorists.

13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Trump refused to listen to the experts on this in his own staff back in January and was more interested in when flavored vaping would be approved. Are you really that oblivious to the facts due to some sort of loyalty to this charlatan? What has he done to deserve that kind of blind loyalty?

Washington Post: US intelligence warned Trump in January and February as he dismissed coronavirus threat - CNNPolitics

Within the administration, Trump's aides tried in vain to convince him of the virus's seriousness, according to the Post. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar was unable to discuss the virus with Trump until January 18, two senior administration officials told the Post -- at which point the President interrupted him to ask when sales of flavored vaping products would resume, senior administration officials told the paper.

Later in January, aides met with then-acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney in an effort to convince higher level officials to monitor the virus -- with White House Domestic Policy Council Director Joe Grogan asserting that if the White House did not seriously address the virus, an issue likely to be front and center for months, Trump could risk losing his reelection, people briefed on the meeting told the Post.
    Mulvaney subsequently held regular meetings, though officials told the paper that Trump did not take the virus seriously because he did not think it had circulated extensively in the United States.

The President also seemed to deny the virus's threat in favor of believing information provided by Chinese President Xi Jinping, the paper reported.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, we know for certain the final number will be greater than 15. Trump lied or spoke with a reckless indifference to the truth...and not just this time. Do you simply not care that he lies or just talks out of his ass on an issue like this? He is still not on top of this....not by a long shot.

"When you have 15 people and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

Agree. I was referring to experts in general..not specifically on this topic. Just saying nothing surprises me anymore.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Strip them of all their Olympic ping pong medals. That'll show 'em.

17. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    "Yeah, we probably aren't gonna learn anything from this."

Maybe, maybe not. Though the insidious viruses out of Asia weren't an issue when Nixon opened trade with China, astute forward thinking economists at the time predicted a burgeoning trade imbalance as acquisitive Americans discovered cheap Chinese manufactured products and came to rely on them. They accurately predicted the cheaper Chinese merchandise would force the closure of American factories unable to compete. We didn't heed the warnings then and it may now be too late to reverse and correct the short sighted mistakes. Our greedy materialism keeps us focused on buying whatever we want at the cheapest possible price. It will take fundamental changes in the American consumer and the manufacturers who make the items we want and need. One way or another it's going to cost us. We are now painfully learning how much.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

I guess my question is this: what motivation do they have to "manipulate" information that any other country doesn't?

19. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Would love to see Jim Acosta's new assignment to exclusively go after China.

Never happen of course but a guy can dream.....

• Funny Funny x 2