Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The weirdest MLB season ever is about to start. Here's how baseball in 2020 could play out

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jul 22, 2020.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    The weirdest year in Major League Baseball history starts Thursday night. The game that fancies its season a marathon will engage in an outright sprint during the 2020 MLB season. The sport that night after night packs fans into stadiums will play with no crowds. Amid a global pandemic, in a country where the coronavirus continues to spread with impunity, baseball will imbibe a confusing cocktail of uncertainty, skepticism and hope, fully embracing a show-must-go-on mentality.

Around the sport, there is pride that it reached the point where a season is reality and unease about what playing that season means. The disquietude is a definitional feature of baseball in 2020, omnipresent and threatening. As quickly as it starts, it could end.

And for a game so about control -- controlling of pitches, of pace, of swings, of emotions -- that truth is disaffecting. Inside baseball, there are bulls and bears, believers and cynics, optimists and pessimists. Most people, though, from the clubhouse to the front office and everywhere in between, find themselves conflicted, wanting success, fearing otherwise.

"I've gone back and forth," one National League general manager said this week. "I think it's the right thing to try this. I came in concerned with a rash of positives in the industry. Now I'm just more concerned with the nation. How long can you continue a business that's purely a diversion when a nation is increasingly in turmoil?"

Passan: How the weirdest MLB season ever will play out, from predictions to the Pittsburgh Blue Jays

2. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    We've only scratched the surface of surreal bizzaro reality.
    1) NO fake crowd noise. I do love the cut-outs tho.
    2) I'm leaning toward no performance trophies. No Cy Young, Golden Glove, etc. 60 games is not representative of a season. Or if they do award them, they get huge *****.
    3) There will be MANY balls flying out of the park.
    4) Conversely, overall hitting will be slow to get going.
    5) Will any more players opt out? Or test positive and opt out or be exposed and opt out?

• Like Like x 1
  3. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I am not interested in any pro sports.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Baseball is basically skipping the first 102 games of the season, and playing the last 60. Which is fine with me. The MLB season has been much too long for a very long time.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Agreed. Won't be watching.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. FLORIDAG8RS

FLORIDAG8RS Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Me either!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    2020 MLB season preview: Power Rankings and everything you need to know for 60-game sprint

The 2020 major league baseball season will be like none that has ever come before it.

MLB's 30 teams will have just 60 games to try to streak into the postseason. Players and coaches will need to focus on the field while maintaining strict health and safety protocols off of it. There will be limited travel, empty grandstands and even, in the case of the Toronto Blue Jays, difficulty finding a place to play.

With all that looming over the sport, it's time to play ball. Here are how the teams, listed in the order of our initial Power Rankings, stack up for the sprint ahead -- from their strengths and weaknesses to their biggest question mark to what sets each apart most.

Everything you need for the 2020 MLB season: Power Rankings, big questions and more

8. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    You guys are high... baseball is the soundtrack of my year for 6 months. I live and die with my gators but Braves baseball is just different than anything else. I’ve rarely missed a game since I was 6 Circa 1985. My first memory is of being at a Braves game. There’s a rhythmic cause and effect in baseball that other sports just don’t have. You can drop someone in the stands from another planet (most years at least ) and after 2-3 innings they can grasp the game. Full disclosure, I played all 3 major sports for 12+ years and loved them all for their unique idiosyncrasies but baseball will always just be different. My great grandfather watched every game from the time they moved here in 66 and save for 1” less on a mound , a dh this year and maybe 1-2 minor other things I know I’m watching the exact same game he watched. Other sports don’t have that link to the past. Please don’t @ me or piss on my parade for this, let me bask in what little bit of baseball I’m gonna get. Ty. As aside it’s the hardest sport hands down. Round ball ,round bat , squarely. Fk that’s difficult

• Like Like x 5
  9. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    I normally ignore baseball until after the all star break because the season is too long. I’m excited for the shortened season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    MLB has not yet alienated me. I will be watching.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. GatorLuke

GatorLuke All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Watching the Yankees and Nats. The game feels like a minor league game with no fans. Amazing how much of a difference fans make. Announcers are boring and it looks like the end of a blowout game or rain delay game with 0 fans. My guess is ratings will be abysmal within a few weeks.

12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Anyone hear the way a-rod pronounced “point guard” when talking about dr Fauci???? That dude is a total serial killer...id bet he has 50 acres somewhere in the country where he buries them. Dudes so scary

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Baseball should be a “doable” sport since the contacts are comparably limited compared to other team sports. However, even as someone who grew up a fan and played little league, nowadays I’d rather watch paint dry than watch baseball. It was nothing they did (though the 1990’s strike and then the steroids may have been the final nail to really kill even my low level interest, my interest had already waned from someone deep into following the players and stats/records, to basically not caring), i just got bored of it. I haven’t even watched a World Series game in many years, let alone regular season.

14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Basketball I have no idea how it’s going to happen, I have much more interest in this sport and am glad they are trying, I just don’t see how they keep the virus out unless everyone behaves perfectly inside the bubble. Just one slip up, introducing the virus into the bubble, can ruin the whole thing.

Football just seems like a different level of impossible.

15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

From what I hear, they’ve started kneeling to emulate the MFL - so screw ‘em. They could give out free tix and transportation to and from the game and provide gold-plated face masks and it’s still a big no bueno for me. May their viewing audience go to shit and the league go broke - I’ve freaking had it with all these gifted ingrates offending me and my country for their own satisfaction.

Go Gators

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

Yup.......they can all blow me, as far as I'm concerned......;)

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mega millionaires want to teach me about fairness and equity in my terrible country? Not only no but HELL NO.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. I tried to watch the game, but it just pissed me off. I do not hate my country as much as overpaid athletes seem to hate it, so I will find other things to watch during baseball games.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I definitely feel exactly as you do in regard to the NFL and NBA. I have written them off forever. Still holding out hope for MLB though.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl