Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

The View From Baton Rouge & added 3 recaps

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Feb 26, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Behind a huge game from Keyontae Johnson, Florida crushes LSU to move into third-place tie in SEC
    BY SHELDON MICKLES | Staff writer Advocate Sports
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. — After four tightly contested games between LSU and Florida in just over a year, there was no drama in their fifth matchup Wednesday night.
    In fact, this one wasn’t even close.

Following first four meetings were decided by a total of 11 points with both teams winning twice, Florida jumped all over LSU from the opening tip and never let up in taking a 81-66 victory in Exactech Arena. Opening the contest with a 9-0 run, Florida was off and running behind forward Keyontae Johnson, who had 25 points, 11 rebounds and five assists to help his team easily gain a measure of revenge for an 84-82 setback to LSU on Jan. 21 in Baton Rouge.

Florida (18-10, 10-5 Southeastern Conference) did what it wanted, when it wanted, to pull into a tie for third place with LSU (19-9, 10-5 SEC) in the league standings with three games remaining in the regular season. Both teams trail league-leading Kentucky by three games and second-place Auburn by one.

On Monday, LSU coach Will Wade lamented the fact that Johnson, a 6-foot-5 sophomore forward, had been a “nightmare matchup” for the Tigers in the previous four meetings. Johnson was that and more Wednesday night as Wade used several different defenders in man and zone defenses in trying to slow Johnson down.
    Behind a huge game from Keyontae Johnson, Florida crushes LSU to move into third-place tie in SEC

• Like Like x 2
  2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    LSU Men's Basketball 2/26/2020 9:52:00 PM
    Basketball Falls at Florida, 81-66
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The Tigers struggles to gain momentum Friday in Gainesville as LSU fell to Florida, 81-66.
    LSU fell to 19-9 (10-5) while Florida improved to 18-10 (10-5)
    Emmitt Williams led the Tigers with 25 points off the bench. Trendon Watford recorded his sixth double-double of the season with 15 points and 11 rebounds.
    Keyontae Johnson had a game-high 25 points and 11 xx rebounds for a double-double. Andrew Nembhard added 17 points and Scottie Lewis finished with 18.

Basketball Falls at Florida, 81-66 - LSU Tigers

Complete recap available later this evening

3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators don't let up against LSU in 81-66 win
    Florida takes the lead early, scoring the first nine points of the game, and remains in control from tip to buzzer.
    SEC Network Gators don't let up against LSU in 81-66 win

4. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Awww, waaah

5. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    What the hell was wrong with Skylar Mays tonight?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    probably my favorite non-gator in the sec.
    he was way out of sorts tonite. part of that should be attributed to scottie. . . but yeah, the missed dunk and such. Strange.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Game Recap: Men's Basketball | Thursday, February 27, 2020 | Chris Harry, Senior Writer UF
    UF Slams LSU
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. — At first glance, when the ball left Florida forward Keyontae Johnson's hands late Wednesday night, it looked to be headed high and well out of reach of the intended target.
    That target, though, was Scottie Lewis, meaning normal physics did not apply.
    "Yeah, but I didn't know it was going to be that high," Lewis said.

Johnson was parked on the left wing of the 3-point line when he spotted Lewis, the 6-foot-5 quick-twitch freak, darting toward the bucket on the baseline, his finger pointing toward the goal. Johnson threw a two-handed pass about three feet above the rim. Lewis went airborne, seemed to hit another a gear during his elevation, caught the ball with two hands high above the goal and thundered it through the bucket.

The play came with less than two minutes to go, slammed LSU into a 15-point hole and provided the highlight moment of a high-end performance by the host Gators, who shot nearly 55 percent from the floor, turned the ball over just five times and played terrific defense in a wire-to-wire 81-66 victory at Exatech Arena/O'Connell Center that may have been their most complete Southeastern Conference display of the season.
    Had some star power, too.
    "We got whipped every phase of the game, not much else to say" Tigers coach Will Wade said. "We got killed in every aspect of play. I wish I had more to tell you. Just beat everywhere."
    "I think we're getting really close to understanding what we are when we're at our best," Nembhard said. "I think Kentucky put in perspective at the highest level of what we really need to do on both sides of the floor to play our best. I think we took a step toward that this game. We didn't play a full 40, but we were better."
    UF Slams LSU - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators steamroll LSU after Johnson’s big night
    Brendan Farrell, Sports Writer Alligator
    LSU turned the ball over, and then freshman Tre Mann had it in his hands. He threw it down to a streaking Ques Glover, who was free on a two-on-one. Glover took a peek at the rim and threw the ball up where it found the hands of forward Keyontae Johnson, who slammed it down and sent the crowd at the O’Dome into a frenzy.
    Johnson’s 25 points were a career high, and the Gators scored a big Quadrant 1 win at home with an 81-66 victory over the LSU Tigers.

Florida (18-10, 10-5 SEC) nearly ran LSU (19-9, 10-5 SEC) out of the building in the first four minutes of the first half. A three-point play from Johnson capped off a 12-2 start for the Gators where they hit five of their first six shots from the field. Johnson finished the half with 17 points in as many minutes. His first miss of the night didn’t come until there were 29 seconds left in the first half.
    “Coach was like, ‘They’re aggressive’, so it gave me more of a chance to blow by a defender, or they like to chase me coming off the screen,” Johnson said. “It’s just like reading, they all ball watch, and we saw their film.”
    Florida hit 13 of its first 17 shots for a 29-16 lead about midway through the period. The Gators cooled off after that, making six of their next 14, but their defense kept LSU in check enough for a 41-31 halftime lead.

Gators steamroll LSU after Johnson’s big night

9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida punishes LSU, 81-66
    Graham Hall Gvl Sun
    With a chance to pick up a win Wednesday over one of the SEC’s best and boost the team’s tournament resume, Florida once again got a lift from Keyontae Johnson.
    The sophomore set a career-high with 25 points and added 11 rebounds for his seventh double-double of the season, as Florida claimed a 81-66 win over LSU at Exactech Arena. “It was a huge defensive effort,” Gators coach Mike White said. “We played about as well as we’ve played for, I’d say about 30 of the 40 minutes.”
    “I feel like we did good at keeping them off the offensive glass. We came out real aggressive and we boxed out,” Johnson said. “I feel like they didn’t do as well getting second-chance points, we did a great job of that as a team.” At times the Tigers (19-9, 10-5) looked poised to explode with a scoring run of their own – each time, however, Florida answered. LSU cut the lead to 63-50 and forced Tre Mann into a turnover on the very next possession, giving the visitors the momentum – albeit briefly.

But a block by Johnson on the ensuing sequence gave it right back to Florida, and five unanswered points from UF erased any notion the Tigers would flip the script. “He just takes advantage of the mismatches,” LSU coach Will Wade said of Johnson. “We’ve never been able to guard Johnson, that’s two straight years of not being able to guard him. He loves when he sees the purple, he just lights up.”

After White once again voiced his displeasure earlier in the week regarding UF’s tendency to commit “careless” turnovers, Florida committed just five turnovers to LSU’s eight; the Gators allowed LSU to attempt just 12 free throws – a far cry from the previous meeting, where the Tigers made 24 of 31 attempts from the charity stripe in Baton Rouge, thanks in part to 15 offensive rebounds. “Our scouting report defense, our focus, has been pretty good the last couple of games,” White said. “Tonight I thought we made an improvement in that regard.”
    Florida punishes LSU, 81-66

10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  11. ecogator

ecogator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ocala
    Scottie Lewis was wrong with Skylar Mays.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    I would like to think so but then I saw him turn Scottie around and then miss a dunk. Scottie was great defensively but Mays also missed both FT attempts he took and he's close to 85% from the line. He was off and i'm glad he was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    On the take?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Mays missed an uncontested dunk, and uncontested layup, and multiple uncontested jumpers. Not that SL was bad, but he wasn't the only reason for the bad night from SM.

15. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

wasin a fog just as Locke has been for the last two games. It shows you how much talent we have when Locke and Blacksheer were virtually non existent on offense and we still had a double digit win.

Johnson, Williams, Nembhard and Lewis literally separated themselves from the rest of the players last night. Can’t see any one of those four not playing in the NBA next year.

Another poster was accurate in saying that sometime Nembhard looks bored out there - like if need be, he could take over a game. But that is not the team strategy.

Jitiboh also had a fantastic game.

I find it hard to believe Williams is only 6’6”

16. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Locke is out of rhythm right now, and he didn't get very many good passes to shoot in rhythm.

I though Blackshear had a great game. He did a lot of unselfish things well, and had some stronger rebounds tonight. I thought he really battled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Blacksheer did contribute in many other ways than scoring. But he can’t he having Johnson double him up on rebounds when he 5 inches taller

18. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Would not surprise me. When the adults in your program get away with breaking the rules, and keep their million dollar jobs, easy to be influenced by sports bookies For a little change.

• Agree Agree x 1