Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Untold Story of Robert Mueller's Time in Combat

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, May 15, 2018.

1. Rocinante

Rocinante Senior

May 28, 2013
    There is only one reason he’s being attacked. He’s investigating your guy. If he was investigating a Democrat, he would be the next thing to Jesus Christ. That’s all. Trump has about as much integrity in his whole body as Mueller does in his nail clippings.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    You guys know good and well where I was going with the Ira Hayes comment. You use Mueller's military service to show that he is an honest man and should be a hero to Republicans. I was just pointing out that ones previous military service does not mean he is going to be a model citizen the rest of his life. Never meant to put down Ira Hayes just using him as an example.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And likewise, there are many soldier who went on to do great things, like become president (current president excluded, of course (bonespurs :()). I'm not sure citing a soldier that drank himself to death 55 years ago is evidence of anything, other than you had to dig real deep to find a soldier to crap on and compare to Mueller.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hcooper

hcooper Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Have you no shame, sir?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    What "crazy stuff" do "cons" say about "libs"? That they are snowflakes who are always whining about the stuff that mean old "cons" say about them? Hmm. Doesn't seem that crazy.

6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Nah, that's a pretty bad example. There's no parallel between the two men other than they served very honorably. Unlike Trump, of course. ;)

7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Almost as significant as Robert Mueller's service in combat was the fact that he volunteered to serve in combat at all. Mueller came from an affluent well-connected family. During the Vietnam era it was almost the norm for men such as Mueller to legally avoid service through multiple medical deferments (see Donald Trump or Dick Cheney) or to serve in reserve or National Guard units, which unlike the current period in which a significant number of reservists and National Guard personnel have been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, very few Guard or reserve units were deployed to Vietnam. Not only did Mueller volunteer, he volunteered to serve in the Marines, a branch of the service where assignment to a combat unit was likely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    Yeah, that's the point. They both served honorably, but so what? The OP is raising Mueller's military record in rebuttal to people expressing their frustrations with the way he is currently conducting the Russian collusion investigation. Regardless of whether you agree with those criticisms of him or not, his military service from 50 years ago is irrelevant to that discussion.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    The so-what thing is valid. Mueller's service doesn't mean he's doing a good or bad job at special counselor. But trashing Ira Hayes is something I can't really stand for ... life was a little different on the reservation in the '50s
    As others pointed out, if you an example of a veteran gone bad, Oliver North or Liddy would have sufficed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Where did my John Kerry post go??

He served in Vietnam you know!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    You are making something out of nothing. Did I trash Ira Hayes in any way? No I used him as an example that ones honorable military service has little to do with life after the military. I happen to honor Ira Hayes and have seen the movie several times. The fact that he died a drunken Indian is a fact known by anybody who knows WWII history. I used that as an example. Period.

12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    An unfortunate truth for some. Doesn't represent all though.

13. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    The anti-Kerry!:cool:

14. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    Obviously you have no problem with 100% of the investigators coming from the top of the "I hate Trump" list? What's with that? Every investigator was a Hillary supporter.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The irony can't be lost on you, can it?

16. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Did they really all happen to come from the top of that pile, or did Trump become widely disliked during the course of the campaign because he kept sh*tting on the intelligence community to score points with his base? The FBI has been a well known Republican crowd for generations, yet somehow they all suddenly supported Hillary because of her specific politics ? I find that equally unlikely.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Environmentalism is a form of pagan fundamentalism. These green wackos are fanatics like al-Quaida. Just like them. G. Gordon Liddy (the real one) :)

"Cons" = Liddy
    "Crazy stuff" = Environmentalists are like al-Quaida
    "Libs" = Environmentalists

Plays well to the base though and endears ex-cons to the cons.... wait... sorry for the redundancy.

18. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    Probably our greatest environmentalist president was Teddy Roosevelt and he wasn't a lib. He also wasn't a whiny crybaby, but I already said he wasn't a lib, so please forgive my redundancy as I have forgiven yours. ;)

19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    He wasn't a lib? In 1912 TR ran for president on the Progressive ticket. These are some of the planks in the platform of the Progressive Party in 1912
    Platform and History of Theodore Roosevelt's Progressive Party

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    No, he wasn't a lib. He'd have no place in today's Democratic party. The Progressive Party was the GOP Lite, they weren't the Democrats. In fact if anything Roosevelt's Progressives were more the forebears of Donald Trump's core supporters than of modern liberals.